• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are we going to get an Accurate Passing QB from the Portal?

No I’ve been informed by members of this board that am is a stud and only needs better lineman. We don’t want to upset am or the qb chemistry by bring in another qb as well. So don’t hold
Your breath on getting another qb.

It obviously isn't about the posters here, but it's very unlikely Frost wants to find a QB in the portal. He's locked in with Martinez for his senior season as starter. There's zero doubt in my mind about that -- whether I like AM or not. And quarterbacks looking to transfer are unlikely to do so to sit on the bench.

Replying to the thread title - doubtful. Nebraska hasn't historically had super accurate passing QBs nor has it put many QBs in the NFL (I can think of 2 off the top of my head that actually took snaps in a game). That's not going to bring the great passers to Huskerland. Frost's offense needs a QB who's way better than average passing AND running to make the offense go, and we all know those are hard to come by. AM has the tools and shows flashes here and there but can't seem to pull it together. LM should switch positions (unless he makes a huge jump in the off season). Use him situationally as a wildcat QB. I'm hoping LS is the real deal.

So all we are looking for in the portal with that strategy is accurate deep ball throwers that we never throw? Shoot, Patrick O’Brien probably fits those metrics.
:Bananalazy:
lol i'm just trying to help. if you read my posts, you'll know where i stand. there's no amount of transfers we can bring in that will change the current trajectory as long as the head coach is convinced he's doing nothing wrong and doesn't need to make any changes.

How about
Jace Ruder
His HS stats aren't very good especially in the area of % completions. Perhaps they might be better in college? I would think passing accuracy would be critical for taking a QB from the portal.

rudd.jpg

What we need to find is another Jerry Gdowski 1989 All Big 8
Rush: 117 for 925 Long 74 14 TDs
Pass: 71/136 1136 9.8 yds/att. 19 TD/ 2 INT.

With the TE's we have coming back, the new's coming in.
The running back room solidified by the USC transfer and the Freshman from Georgia
WR that look like Abdul Mohammed (blockers and possession WR)

If AM,LM, Smothers or even the Freshman from Kearney (who is coming in the spring) could be put in Dr. Toms run/RPO/option offense we would be:
1. Unique
2. finally playing to our strengths
3. Force defenses to prepare for something different than the usual (sounds like DONU of old doesn't it)

The QB's we have can do this!! It cuts down immensely on the reads they need to make and the difficulty of the throws, hence the INT that occur. With the run based offense, you force the opposing defense into single coverage.
Easier for WR/TE to get open and harder for DB to be in position to get INT as Gdowski's 1989 year shows.

And we would have the spring and this fall to put it in. Shoot OU put in the Wishbone in shorter time than that to match its system to their players. :)

GBR

I don’t care to do the work but is there actually a QB in the portal with a better completion percentage than 71.52% like Martinez had in 2020?
Not sure the portal is the way to go but I bet there is a QB with a better QBR on passes more than 20 yards downfield in the portal. We need to stretch the field before the sink and dunk game can operate with some space. AM hasn’t shown he can do that in three years.

:Bananalazy:
lol i'm just trying to help. if you read my posts, you'll know where i stand. there's no amount of transfers we can bring in that will change the current trajectory as long as the head coach is convinced he's doing nothing wrong and doesn't need to make any changes.
Just trying to say that our QBs accuracy isn’t our issue. Getting a push on the OL, RBs who can stay healthy and we don’t have to move a 165 pound kid to be our goal line back, etc. if we actually threw balls downfield I’d worry about it but until we have a deep threat not sure we need to go searching for someone that can do it.

What we need to find is another Jerry Gdowski 1989 All Big 8
Rush: 117 for 925 Long 74 14 TDs
Pass: 71/136 1136 9.8 yds/att. 19 TD/ 2 INT.

With the TE's we have coming back, the new's coming in.
The running back room solidified by the USC transfer and the Freshman from Georgia
WR that look like Abdul Mohammed (blockers and possession WR)

If AM,LM, Smothers or even the Freshman from Kearney (who is coming in the spring) could be put in Dr. Toms run/RPO/option offense we would be:
1. Unique
2. finally playing to our strengths
3. Force defenses to prepare for something different than the usual (sounds like DONU of old doesn't it)

The QB's we have can do this!! It cuts down immensely on the reads they need to make and the difficulty of the throws, hence the INT that occur. With the run based offense, you force the opposing defense into single coverage.
Easier for WR/TE to get open and harder for DB to be in position to get INT as Gdowski's 1989 year shows.

And we would have the spring and this fall to put it in. Shoot OU put in the Wishbone in shorter time than that to match its system to their players. :)

GBR
Sounds like something that could work IF we can had QB's that can run without fumbling!! :eek:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back