• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale....

Well, at the risk of sounding like the Scrooge, this is, IMO, the silver lining on this crappy thing called the transfer portal....as noted in various sites, there are WAYYYYYYY MOREEEEEEEEE athletes in there than spots available, at least as it pertains to OWER 5 schools. I am wondering if the recent FL transfer out, who ended up at freakin' Toledo, was hoping for a FSU, Miami, Florida, or, at worse, a UCF, FAU, FIU, etc but was told, "sorry no spot for you" and then had to take anything he could find. I mean, you don't leave Nebraska as a "hardly was here" player cause you found a spot at your dream school, Tolded. (No knock on Toledo, but it is what it is).

I've wondered about this with the transfer portal. Where will all the transfers go and how many schools (not just POWER 5) are available to take them. Seems to me that some of these kids might be making a big mistake. :Smile:

Here is the main point about MR and SF: MR inherited a ton of really good players form the Bo regime, players that ALWAYS won at least 9 games a year......SF inherited a bunch of players that were from the MR regime.....a regime that losing by a ton, and often, became the new norm....MR's players regressed at almost all positions, though there were a few really good players DESPITE having to work with MR's staff.

While I no longer recall the name of the poster who said this, it was someone with coaching experience who said ...

It's easier to inherit a group of players who hasn't experienced winning and convince them you can teach them how to win than it is to inherit a group of players who have been winning and convince them you have a better approach to winning.

Riley inherited a bunch of players that were beyond pissed that Bo was let go. Let alone half the fan base. There was some strong pushback to Riley's hiring. Now, that's not to completely excuse Riley. His biggest fault was allowing Eichorst to have too much control. And all that said, I won't claim Riley is a good coach. But I won't Scott Frost either. Not to this point anyhow. Yes, without knowing either's abilities to coach at Nebraska beforehand, I'd take Frost over Riley without even thinking about it. We all would. But as any sports fan should know, it doesn't always work out as we hoped.

Regardless -- even if you wish to call all of that hogwash -- losing by 18 to an Illinois who fired their coach at year's end -- and a Minnesota team whose defense had gotten their ass handed to them all season, had their top WR opt out the week prior, and dealt with dozens of Covid positives -- well, those things have a grand total of nothing to do with Riley in year three. The Riley excuse may have had some bearing in year one. In year three -- that's just no longer the case. We returned the entire 2019 offensive line in 2020, a 3-year starting QB, the starting RB, the starting TE, and Wan'Dale -- as much starting experience as you'll ever have returning -- yet that was arguably the least productive offense any of us have ever seen. That's also not on Riley. I'll be damn glad when the day comes when no one else mentions Riley as an excuse for Scott Frost. Good coaches don't need excuses -- not in year three.

Last edited:
SF is a former Husker great as a player
SF played for great coaching icons
SF played in the NFL
SF coached as an assistant at Oregon in UO’s heydays
SF has head coaching experience prior to NU

What else you want?
Urban Meyer or Nick Saban?

SF came to NU with a much stronger resume than BP. He had/has a stronger resume than FS. MR had more head coaching experience but would you really take him over SF?

Arguing that SF isn’t qualified to be NU’s coach is silly. What do want? Who do you think we realistically can get?

I don't think I ever said he isn't qualified. He has 4 losing seasons and one winning season as a HC. That is what I know.

C

As a Cleveland Browns fans, Bill Callahan is a great offensive mind. I have always said that he was a DCoordinator away from being successful here.

Browns OL play is vastly improved this season under Callahan, who is in his first year with Cleveland. That has really helped QB Baker Mayfield showcase his considerable talents. Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt have been running well, too.

Browns 48, at Pittsburgh 37. The drought is over.

Browns OL play is vastly improved this season under Callahan, who is in his first year with Cleveland. That has really helped QB Baker Mayfield showcase his considerable talents. Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt have been running well, too.

Browns 48, at Pittsburgh 37. The drought is over.
Callahan has done a great job with their offensive line. I hope they can keep him for a few more years.

It's easier to inherit a group of players who hasn't experienced winning and convince them you can teach them how to win than it is to inherit a group of players who have been winning and convince them you have a better approach to winning.
I need you to find out who made that statement. It's a good one. But it's also what i've been trying to relay.

Riley took over for a 9 win coach, and had current players he was going to need and former Pelini guys that just graduated openly tweeting against the hire. Josh Mitchell had one of the more famous ones of "this is who you got rid of our guy for? LOL." It was something like that. I don't think they were wrong, probably shouldn't have gone public with it, but they were protecting Bo. It's really hard to get rid of a 9 win coach every year and bring in a perennial .500 coach and sell the "well now he's going to be better because he is at Nebraska." That's really what we were all hoping when it went down. But as I said at the time, you don't fire Pelini if your coach is going to be Riley.

Conversely, Frost took over for Riley who had two losing seasons. Kids want to win. They saw a winner with what was coming to them from Orlando.

With that said, I'm pretty sure you can say that Riley took over more talent than Frost. But that's where the gray area is. Depending on which side of the fence you are on leads you to what was worse for the coach to overcome? Was Riley overcoming guys not wanting him as the coach compared to Bo tougher to overcome than Frost coming here and having worse talent to play with?

There's no winning, I just think Riley had a more difficult situation and coached his first 3 years here better than Frost. After year 1, Riley lost 4 draft picks to the NFL and then won 9 games the following year. I don't believe anyone is saying Frost shouldn't have been hired, and he needs to be our coach for 2021. I'm just hoping we've figured out what the issue is and can correct it. I'm tired of losing.

I've wondered about this with the transfer portal. Where will all the transfers go and how many schools (not just POWER 5) are available to take them. Seems to me that some of these kids might be making a big mistake. :Smile:
I followed the NCAA Transfer Portal on Twitter for about a day and then it got to be too much so I had to stop. You're right, kids are thinking it's greener elsewhere and it's just not. Unless you have production at P5 you're going to drop to Go5 or even FCS. Besides a guy like Wandale or Stepp, most of the guys in the portal aren't worth taking a risk on compared to a high school kid in your recruiting class.

I came here hoping to see some news on Mills... and see this... what a crap way to start a week.

I hope the kid chooses to stay. He is a special player and is tough as nails.

Last edited:

I need you to find out who made that statement. It's a good one. But it's also what i've been trying to relay.

Riley took over for a 9 win coach, and had current players he was going to need and former Pelini guys that just graduated openly tweeting against the hire. Josh Mitchell had one of the more famous ones of "this is who you got rid of our guy for? LOL." It was something like that. I don't think they were wrong, probably shouldn't have gone public with it, but they were protecting Bo. It's really hard to get rid of a 9 win coach every year and bring in a perennial .500 coach and sell the "well now he's going to be better because he is at Nebraska." That's really what we were all hoping when it went down. But as I said at the time, you don't fire Pelini if your coach is going to be Riley.

Conversely, Frost took over for Riley who had two losing seasons. Kids want to win. They saw a winner with what was coming to them from Orlando.

With that said, I'm pretty sure you can say that Riley took over more talent than Frost. But that's where the gray area is. Depending on which side of the fence you are on leads you to what was worse for the coach to overcome? Was Riley overcoming guys not wanting him as the coach compared to Bo tougher to overcome than Frost coming here and having worse talent to play with?

There's no winning, I just think Riley had a more difficult situation and coached his first 3 years here better than Frost. After year 1, Riley lost 4 draft picks to the NFL and then won 9 games the following year. I don't believe anyone is saying Frost shouldn't have been hired, and he needs to be our coach for 2021. I'm just hoping we've figured out what the issue is and can correct it. I'm tired of losing.

I sometimes wonder if Eichorst hadn't forced a change at defensive coordinator heading into the 2017 if things would have been different (and again, I put a lot of blame on Riley for bending over to Eichorst on that).

We went into 2017 coming off a 9-win season. Even 2015 wasn't that bad -- when you take into account the recent past few seasons (hindsight) -- there was never a season when I felt more snake bit -- game one -- Hail Mary loss to BYU -- and the pitchforks were already waiting. Two games later, lose to Miami in OT. next 3 losses were by 1-2 points, including a 2pt loss to Wisconsin -- and then we righted the ship a bit toward the end, including the big win over #6 Michigan State that had everyone in the stadium dancing. Onto 2016 -- the "expected" 9 wins -- but not a good finish (still, we'd take that nowadays!) ... and 2017 ... lost AT Oregon in game two by 7 -- not what I'd call embarrassing ... but that was followed up with the 4pt loss to what was an 8-win Northern Illinois team -- and it was game over, for all intents and purposes. Eichorst was fired, Moos was hired -- and the sharks were circling. Imagine if we'd fired Moos 3 games into last season -- well, that's pretty commonly the death knell for a head coach -- even more so when half the fan base (and growing each week) wants a coach gone before he even got here.

Again, I'm not defending Riley as a great coach. And like everyone, I'd take Frost over Riley (not knowing either's abilities to coach Nebraska beforehand) in a heartbeat. But man, he walked into shark infested waters in Lincoln. And if our fan base had treated Frost as they did Riley, he might not have even made it past season two. I just get really frustrated with fans who not only hated Riley from the get go and looked at each loss as justification for a mistake in hiring him -- yet even after year three of Frost, many of those same fans serving as Riley vultures are now Frost apologists. I'll be fair -- neither coach excites me much.

Last edited:

@TnHusker87

Agree...

On one hand you want to demand excellence and hold people accountable...

especially because of the huge amount of money these people make.

on the other hand, given the realities that have emerged in college football in the last 20 years.

What we consider as “excellence“ is subject to a lot of discussion.

When Pellini was fired.....he had the third highest win percentage of any active FBS coach at that time. IIRC he was only behind Saban and Stoops.

Was he irascible? Yes. Dd he rub some people the wrong? Yes.... and those factors have to be taken into consideration in today’s social media world of instant condemnation and viral video clips.....and TV announcers using EVERY opportunity to bring it to everyone’s attention

But he won 9 or 10 games a year for 8 years straight....and played for a conference championship 3 of those years. And his players were hugely loyal to him.

And we fired him!

We have tried the “quick fix route“ with zero patience twice and it has led us to this situation.

And we can always go back to that route and hire whoever is the latest hot property after paying millions and millions in buyout.

But I argue that it’s time to try something different...even with the pain!

Is four years enough time to decide on a coach and program? Given today’s world and the ease of the new transfer portal?

Is it five years?

I just don’t know the answer but it seems to me all we’re doing is becoming another Tennessee.

Great potential...zero patience.

Having said all that, it would be a damn sight easier to ”bear the pain” if we could at least have a winning season next year. Hell, I’ll settle for six and six and then a win at a bowl game.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back