• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fiesta Bowl: Iowa State vs Oregon

The team that ought to start sweating is our pals (sorry for that word) over at U of Iowa! Didn't play them this year with Covid which might well have been a good thing for them. If nothing else ISU has served notice they are a solid program and will be a big factor in at least the state of Iowa recruiting imo. Campbell is a heck of a coach and only a matter of time until he moves to a blue blood program. Way to early to be talking about the NFL but who knows. Congrats to ISU which did themselves proud this season.

Last edited:
The team that ought to start sweating is our pals (sorry for that word) over at U of Iowa! Didn't play them this year with Covid which might well have been a good thing for them. If nothing else ISU has served notice they are a solid program and will be a big factor in at least the state of Iowa recruiting imo. Campbell is a heck of a coach and only a matter of time until he moves to a blue blood program. Way to early to be talking about the NFL but who knows. Congrats to ISU which did themselves proud this season.
I’m not sure Campbell is gonna leave ISU anytime soon. I have some relatives, big Iowa State folks, and they tell me he is super happy there. Also, his wife loves it there. He is rich, has no pressure, is winning, and is a rock star in Iowa and quickly becoming known nationally. He will get another raise. They’ll find the money.

I’m not sure Campbell is gonna leave ISU anytime soon. I have some relatives, big Iowa State folks, and they tell me he is super happy there. Also, his wife loves it there. He is rich, has no pressure, is winning, and is a rock star in Iowa and quickly becoming known nationally. He will get another raise. They’ll find the money.
Money won't be the issue imo. However when/if he wants to move up in the coaching hierarchy it will have to be at another school or even the NFL. Ames IA is a nice place I guess but it's still a way station and not a destination in the world of football. If he was 60 I'd agree with you but he's only 41 and there are bigger and better places to coach if he has his sights set on getting into playoffs and NC. There no way that's going to happen with the talent level he's going to get at ISU. Look at Bill Snyder's career which was great at KSU. How many conference titles did he win coaching at KSU for 29 years? Believe the number is ONE! ISU will never match the talent levels of say OU and Texas. He's doing great but money talks and ambitious coaches want the chance to play for NC's which I doubt is going to happen at ISU. If he's as good as people say the money and allure of bigger programs will be very difficult to resist.

Money won't be the issue imo. However when/if he wants to move up in the coaching hierarchy it will have to be at another school or even the NFL. Ames IA is a nice place I guess but it's still a way station and not a destination in the world of football. If he was 60 I'd agree with you but he's only 41 and there are bigger and better places to coach if he has his sights set on getting into playoffs and NC. There no way that's going to happen with the talent level he's going to get at ISU. Look at Bill Snyder's career which was great at KSU. How many conference titles did he win coaching at KSU for 29 years? Believe the number is ONE! ISU will never match the talent levels of say OU and Texas. He's doing great but money talks and ambitious coaches want the chance to play for NC's which I doubt is going to happen at ISU. If he's as good as people say the money and allure of bigger programs will be very difficult to resist.

ISU was at #6 of the CFP at one point. They had one loss too many early (Louisiana) and couldnt pull it off vs OU, but they were close. The only requirement for making it to the CFP is being in a P5 conference with the right record at the right time. Of course, not being named Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, or Oklahoma is a huge disadvantage to all other P5 teams.

ISU was at #6 of the CFP at one point. They had one loss too many early (Louisiana) and couldnt pull it off vs OU, but they were close. The only requirement for making it to the CFP is being in a P5 conference with the right record at the right time. Of course, not being named Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, or Oklahoma is a huge disadvantage to all other P5 teams.
That's all true but I doubt ISU ability to sustain talent level to be contending consistently like the schools you just mentioned.

different people have different life goals. "Moving up" is not always number one.
Always anomalies but the majority of high profile coaches usually move up at least the best ones. Sabo is being paid 10.25 million a year which I submit is pretty tempting for most people. That type of salary is never going to happen in place like ISU imo.

Always anomalies but the majority of high profile coaches usually move up at least the best ones. Sabo is being paid 10.25 million a year which I submit is pretty tempting for most people. That type of salary is never going to happen in place like ISU imo.

Agree.

As of mid-November, Matt Campbell's 2020 salary ranked 41st (lowered a bit by a Covid cut). Sure, making well over $3 million -- with an extension to 2025 -- is great money for Ames, Iowa. But it will always be limited at Iowa State, which ranked 43rd nationally in football revenue and 44th in university revenue. Heck, Iowa ranks 19th in football revenue and 14th in university revenue -- and thus they pay Ferentz quite a bit more than Campbell -- Ferentz makes $4.9 million.

I'll be quite surprised if Campbell is still coaching in Ames in 2025. If you can make $5-$7 million elsewhere, that's hard to turn down potentially doubling your salary. And wouldn't surprise me if the NFL comes calling at some point. Using Matt Rhule as a recent example of a coach who jumped from college success to the NFL -- he's making $8.9 million per year, with a 7-year deal that could pay up to $10 million per year depending on incentives.

Last edited:
Campbell and his wife (Erica) have four young children: Katie, Izzy, Rudy and Rocco. If the wife loves Ames...

As I sat and watched my other favorite team destroy Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl, I fondly reminisced about the days Nebraska did that to their Fiesta Bowl opponent. And then I realized that was 25 years ago. :Frown:

Oh well, look at the bright side. We don't have to stress about some other college or NFL team stealing our head coach. :Whiteflag:

If you don't make $3.5 million I suspect making an increase to $5 million seems like a big deal. If you do make that much, maybe you think a little differently. That depends upon what you want out of life.

If you make $3.5 million and live in Ames and have a respected position and a nice family, why move to an unknown situation in which you may or may not have as good a life. There is no one that cannot live very well and have a great family and professional life in Ames Iowa at $3.5 million every year. Why chase a few more dollars that will buy - what? A big boat in Miami?

In ten years you will have made $30 million, in twenty years, 60 or so. C';mon. You can't spend that much so what's the point of earning twice as much in a position you may not like in a place that may not suit you?

Now all of that changes if what drives you is a desire to have a more prestigious position and to get involved in the hardscrabble for national championships and to get to the NFL etc. Some coaches want that; some coaches spouses want that So good for them. Go after it.

My point is sometimes some people like to smell the roses. Campbell may be one of them. I applaud him if he is. That doesn't diminish his skills as a coach or as an educator showing young men how to live.

Coach Campbell is exactly what we need at NE. He understands Midwest values and the blue-collar work eithic that is needed to coach teams in the frozen tundra! If his wife loves Ames, she will love Lincoln even more--if she gets tired of LNK, she can scoot down to Omaha in 30 minutes. His post-game speech was humble; focused upon the parents/fans and gave homage to the hard-working players. I hope either HCSF turns it around in 2021 or we give an offer to CC. However, Moos intimated that Frost won't be going anywhere as long as he is AD. I wonder how long M will be the AD, after 2021?????????

That's all true but I doubt ISU ability to sustain talent level to be contending consistently like the schools you just mentioned.

He doesnt have any pressure to “contend consistently”. He just has to contend occasionally, and ISU is in as good of a position as any other team in P5 that isnt one of the “chosen” names that gets ‘automatic’ bids. Better position than NU currently, in fact, as Big12 is a much easier conference to win

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back