• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Holding Calls

Yet we sure get a good amount of holding called on us, and it is often at critical times such as the one on Friday that erased AM's 30-yard run and ruined a promising drive.

Our D-Line isn't so bad that they never get held. Come on Big 10, be better.

Yet we sure get a good amount of holding called on us, and it is often at critical times such as the one on Friday that erased AM's 30-yard run and ruined a promising drive.

Our D-Line isn't so bad that they never get held. Come on Big 10, be better.

You could imagine a differential if everyone we play is light years ahead in talent but its simply not the case. We're getting pressure and sacks so its not like we have cheerleaders out there on the D-line. I can't imagine that this is agenda driven by the B1G but you wonder about the officials and their feelings toward Nebraska.

So for all you X and O experts what's your explanation for these totally one sided holding calls on Nebraska? I'm serious in that it's simply not reasonable for Neb to get 10 holding calls while our opponent's get none? Some of those calls were absolute game changers like in the IA game. Not saying we're not guility only that there's NO WAY the other side isn't also holding. So why are we repeatedly flagged by BIG officals if there's no bias against Nebraska?cy

Just wondering if we're being SET UP by opposing coaches warning officials our offense is constantly holding? They would say just look at all the past holding calls against this team which of course is a self full filling prophecy!

Last edited:

Yet, when you watch the game films, you see our guys being held literally every play! That is not to say we don't do our share of holding. It would be interesting to know how many times each of the Big Ten teams have been called for holding this year. I looked at the Big Ten site and found the attached penalties totals, but it isn't broken out by type of penalty.

BigTen Penalties.JPG

I have to think it's some combination of not having a lot of dynamic pass rushers that are overwhelmingly difficult to block; coaching technique of a method not as likely to be visually obvious (e.g. bull-rushing through the lineman vs spin/swim around); reputation as a not particularly disciplined team; and a general dislike for Nebraska from the conference that subtly works its way into the thought process of decision-making, particularly when it's a judgment call penalty like this that largely depends on whether the officials want to see it or not.

I looked up the numbers. Nebraska has been called for holding 12 times, with 9 being accepted according to the stats sheets I found, with our opponents being called for 0. Maybe these teams just do not hold? Not so fast my friends......

Check out our opponents on the season, keeping in mind this is only holding calls that were accepted; I left out the declined penalties.
OSU 8 in 4 games
NW 3 in 6 games (not bad)
Penn State 8 in 6 games
Illinois 8 in 5 games
Iowa 9 in 6 games.

In other words, when these teams are NOT playing NU they average.....
OSU 2.6 per game
NW .6 per game
PSU 1.6 per game
Illinois 2 per game
Iowa 1.8 per game

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

Last edited:
I looked up the numbers. Nebraska has been called for holding 12 times, with 9 being accepted according to the stats sheets I found, with our opponents being called for 0. Maybe these teams just do not hold? Not so fast my friends......

Check out our opponents on the season, keeping in mind this is only holding calls that were accepted; I left out the declined penalties.
OSU 8 in 4 games
NW 3 in 6 games (not bad)
Penn State 8 in 6 games
Illinois 8 in 5 games
Iowa 9 in 6 games.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
It's obvious we'er so bad other teams NEVER have to hold our defenders. :Sarcasm:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back