• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Just looking at the Iowa game, I was encouraged. But it's still the little things that add up that matter.

I think SF has it right, especially when he says, we need to get old.
Its the young guys that will get us out of this, but being young, theyre simply repeating what a less athletic, and much thinner, older, but less experienced within system first two years looked like.

This may look like bad coaching, this may look like bad ball playing (other than the snaps,that IS bad ball play)
My take is, until you break through, again, as SF has said, being this young, we simply wont be consistent.

Tougher defenses only mean we havnt found our rhythm yet, and learning to string success and consistency goes hand in hand, but again, tough to do with our youth on offense.
Our defense would look very good if our offense showed consistency, imo

I can understand that people are sick of the bad snaps this year, but why would Jurgens be the cause of locker room splits?

Either way, this is the type of thing player leadership could fix. Team leaders should "encourage" Jurgens to get better, and they should also clear up locker room whining. That shouldn't always be coming from the top down.
To your first question, I guess i'll just ask you that if you were doing everything right and practiced all spring and summer, were with the 1s for the first couple weeks of fall, then when the converted TE got healthy he started in front of you a couple weeks before your first game having zero experience playing the game and snaps were everywhere causing QB issues among other things... would you feel good about working that hard again or with the decision the coaches made?

Agree that when Frost is having to keep players accountable or create the "juice" for them, we are in trouble. The issue is, I think there's many that due to the decisions this staff had made (not just Jurgens) just have never fully bought in. Couple that with how the staff came in, and you get a recipe for disaster if you don't have some success. And it's some of our best guys. Heck, you're seeing it with guys they brought in from the 2020 class thinking they got a raw deal or things aren't being handled correctly.

I always go back to, if Riley culture was so bad, how come we were able to get guys like Ozigbo, Foster, Morgan, Farmer, Gifford, Stoltenberg to circle the wagons because what was happening wasn't acceptable in 2018 and then go 4-2 your last 6 games? How come we weren't able to continue to breed that type of leadership under this staff? Because 2019 and 2020 we are saying leadership is a problem within the team, but Frost inherited some really good ones. Why is there no one stepping up or believing?

I think part of the problem is his quick feet and athleticism. His foot work is ahead of his snap causing the erratic ball placement. It’s all mental and he needs to work ball out foot placement muscle memory.
I actually talked about this with someone, he's so fast that he can slow down a bit for him and he's still faster than 90% of the other centers out there. But when your advantage is your explosion and quickness, it's tough to pull that back sometimes. Was really hoping this offseason we would be able to correct those things for him.

Great OP.

I suspect that Frost thinks a lot of these details and discipline can/should come from player leadership. Senior players correcting lack of focus from younger players in practice and building a disciplined team that way. I’m not sure if that’s realistic, but it seems plausible and probably consistent with how Osborne maintained things when the juggernaut was rolling.

But its a chicken or the egg conundrum. How do you get disciplined older players to mentor the young guys. The team need captains (both official and unofficial) that hold the rest of the players accountable.

The alternative to changing coaching staffs, again, is for this staff to learn and change. I am more confident in Frost being able to absorb information and adjust from his mistakes than a coach like Riley. I think we might see a guy that is pretty introspective this offseason and finding some new teaching methods and practice The thing I am most confident in with Coach Frost is his competitive fire. I think that fire will carry him to better answers and more effective coaching.

Its been a hell of a year for all of us. Scott has been fighting a lot of fights beyond simply being able to focus on coaching. Add to that the fact he recently lost his Dad. This season has to have been more frustrating than anything imaginable for him. I bet next year with a more normal practice schedule and normalcy will be a cool salve for the psyche.

Finally, the recruiting defections are disappointing, but when all the current players can gain a year of eligibility if they desire it’s easier to manage personnel deficits than at any other time.
One of the things I wrestle with is that we had good leadership in 2018, they obviously didn't have many issues in 2017 down in Orlando, but is that going to matter? Take a look at penalties per game:

2016 UCF - 105th in the country
2017 UCF - 127th in the country
2018 Nebraska - 119th in the country
2019 Nebraska - 27th in the country
2020 Nebraska - 89th in the country

So if you look at that, again you would think 2017 UCF and 2018 Nebraska were the best leaders yet we were the worst in the country for penalties. I stated when they were hired in 2017 that the common theme is that we just have to live with penalties with this staff. I don't think leadership can change that.

I don't want us to change coaching staffs yet, the combination of another change of scheme/staffs coupled with who I think we would be able to get isn't a good scenario in my opinion. I think Frost just needs to get it figured out for 2021.

Ive sai it elsewhere, and will say it again here.
Stan,FarmerZiggy were our standard bearers, and behind them, those that played and witnessed their leadership?
No wrs, no rbs, a few OL, but CJ could be a problem for them, as Farniok is the leader there.

Who's hurting?Our offense? We need playmakers surrounding our qb sound familiar?

Again, some are surprised with how our defense is playing, I'm not.

Trying to go positive here for a second. When you look back at last Friday, we only lost by 6 to a pretty good Iowa team. I do feel year 3 we should be winning those games, but when I just look at the Iowa game on its own, there were a ton of positives. The problem is, we now have 29 games of the same thing. In my opinion I can harp on S/C, but that's not the reason we lose to Northwestern, Illinois, or Iowa. I can harp on offense, I can harp on special teams. But it's little things piling up that are our issues. Not the broader things I referenced earlier.

I got to watch Indiana on Saturday, and that's a team that is basically Nebraska with lesser talent. I watched a play at the end of the 3rd quarter that had my buddy and I look at each other and say "no way could Nebraska do that". Now, i've seen us do it before, but consistently? Not a chance. It's in our arsenal, but could we pull it off with our backup QB on a consistent basis? Here's what happened:

1 - Indiana's starting QB gets injured, so this is done with their backup
2 - Backup QB fakes clapping a couple times to see if defense will show their hand, they don't
3 - Backup QB claps since they have their dummy cadence on to see if defend will show their hand and Maryland shows blitz
4 - Backup QB looks to sideline to get play from offensive coordinator since the defense shows what they are doing
5 - Backup QB goes and gives new play to the line with "Ram Arizona" and RB moves to the other side
6 - Backup QB fake claps again to verify what they think is going to happen, Maryland linebacker now not blitzing
7 - Backup QB gives fake "ready" cadences to try and draw offsides and verify again
8 - Backup QB then walks to the line to tell them they are good and it's time to go, all while the OL never faltered
9 - All of that was for a fade to be thrown and they drew pass interference

If you watch that, do you have confidence Nebraska is disciplined enough to pull that off? Or are we false starting, snapping it early, snapping it somewhere else, getting a hold, etc.? That had zero to do with Indiana having better players than Maryland or Nebraska, it was all to do with discipline and the little things. That had zero to do with how heavy Indiana squats. That had zero to do with who Indiana had out wide. That's just disciplined football getting you a free 15 yards.

It's like the Delancy decommit. Are we mad he left? He was the lowest rated guy (I know that recruiting rankings aren't the end all). No. But if I remind you that Francois and Gray who were both 4 stars in the same class left earlier this year as well, it gets to be a bit more concerning.

Little things aren't a big deal until they start to snowball on you. We fix the little things and I think we are 3-2 this year. I'm not blind to our offense or special teams issues. You can even talk me into some defensive problems. But we've shot ourselves in the foot more the past 2.5 years than the other team has taken it away from us IMO. It's why some people are still encouraged. But the problem is, at some point you are coaching or allowing it to happen. I'm not sure the answer, and I do think we are close, but we have to correct the things we've seen the past 2.5 years. You can't just keep having it happen. We actually did ok with penalties, but snaps became an issue against Iowa. And we turned it over more than they did. We aren't good enough to overcome discipline issues between the lines. Get that corrected and I think all of a sudden things look drastically different.

Ohio State's 36-31 Win over Nebraska in 14 GIFs (Several of Which Are  Hilarious) | Eleven Warriors's 36-31 Win over Nebraska in 14 GIFs (Several of Which Are  Hilarious) | Eleven Warriors

Trying to go positive here for a second. When you look back at last Friday, we only lost by 6 to a pretty good Iowa team. I do feel year 3 we should be winning those games, but when I just look at the Iowa game on its own, there were a ton of positives. The problem is, we now have 29 games of the same thing. In my opinion I can harp on S/C, but that's not the reason we lose to Northwestern, Illinois, or Iowa. I can harp on offense, I can harp on special teams. But it's little things piling up that are our issues. Not the broader things I referenced earlier.

I got to watch Indiana on Saturday, and that's a team that is basically Nebraska with lesser talent. I watched a play at the end of the 3rd quarter that had my buddy and I look at each other and say "no way could Nebraska do that". Now, i've seen us do it before, but consistently? Not a chance. It's in our arsenal, but could we pull it off with our backup QB on a consistent basis? Here's what happened:

1 - Indiana's starting QB gets injured, so this is done with their backup
2 - Backup QB fakes clapping a couple times to see if defense will show their hand, they don't
3 - Backup QB claps since they have their dummy cadence on to see if defend will show their hand and Maryland shows blitz
4 - Backup QB looks to sideline to get play from offensive coordinator since the defense shows what they are doing
5 - Backup QB goes and gives new play to the line with "Ram Arizona" and RB moves to the other side
6 - Backup QB fake claps again to verify what they think is going to happen, Maryland linebacker now not blitzing
7 - Backup QB gives fake "ready" cadences to try and draw offsides and verify again
8 - Backup QB then walks to the line to tell them they are good and it's time to go, all while the OL never faltered
9 - All of that was for a fade to be thrown and they drew pass interference

If you watch that, do you have confidence Nebraska is disciplined enough to pull that off? Or are we false starting, snapping it early, snapping it somewhere else, getting a hold, etc.? That had zero to do with Indiana having better players than Maryland or Nebraska, it was all to do with discipline and the little things. That had zero to do with how heavy Indiana squats. That had zero to do with who Indiana had out wide. That's just disciplined football getting you a free 15 yards.

It's like the Delancy decommit. Are we mad he left? He was the lowest rated guy (I know that recruiting rankings aren't the end all). No. But if I remind you that Francois and Gray who were both 4 stars in the same class left earlier this year as well, it gets to be a bit more concerning.

Little things aren't a big deal until they start to snowball on you. We fix the little things and I think we are 3-2 this year. I'm not blind to our offense or special teams issues. You can even talk me into some defensive problems. But we've shot ourselves in the foot more the past 2.5 years than the other team has taken it away from us IMO. It's why some people are still encouraged. But the problem is, at some point you are coaching or allowing it to happen. I'm not sure the answer, and I do think we are close, but we have to correct the things we've seen the past 2.5 years. You can't just keep having it happen. We actually did ok with penalties, but snaps became an issue against Iowa. And we turned it over more than they did. We aren't good enough to overcome discipline issues between the lines. Get that corrected and I think all of a sudden things look drastically different.

Ohio State's 36-31 Win over Nebraska in 14 GIFs (Several of Which Are  Hilarious) | Eleven Warriors's 36-31 Win over Nebraska in 14 GIFs (Several of Which Are  Hilarious) | Eleven Warriors

Honestly, we need to invest in one hell of a psychiatrist. We have talent. I want to believe coaching can be very good. For some reason they are struggling teaching the 'mental' side of the game. (FWIW, Coach V should be the 1st person with the magnifying glass on).

Seems like we have a lot of head cases...Everywhere.
Exactly what anyone encouraged about the improvement they see from the Riley disaster is thinking. In defense of the offense I believe that Mills is sorely missed. The lack of a running game that can pound away is evident a true freshman or a 165 pound athlete aren’t going to get it done in the Big Ten. Penn State is having the same problems they lost their top two running backs and are relying on running QB’s.
Losing Bell and Washington hurt more than anyone realizes( yes they were head cases but they could hit a hole hard) Ozigbo certainly helped but there was a serious lack of any depth from Riley’s time. Frost is doing the best he can with a VERY young running back situation right now. Getting Mills was a real help and if he can get back on the field I believe this offense will get better.

One of the things I wrestle with is that we had good leadership in 2018, they obviously didn't have many issues in 2017 down in Orlando, but is that going to matter? Take a look at penalties per game:

2016 UCF - 105th in the country
2017 UCF - 127th in the country
2018 Nebraska - 119th in the country
2019 Nebraska - 27th in the country
2020 Nebraska - 89th in the country

So if you look at that, again you would think 2017 UCF and 2018 Nebraska were the best leaders yet we were the worst in the country for penalties. I stated when they were hired in 2017 that the common theme is that we just have to live with penalties with this staff. I don't think leadership can change that.

I don't want us to change coaching staffs yet, the combination of another change of scheme/staffs coupled with who I think we would be able to get isn't a good scenario in my opinion. I think Frost just needs to get it figured out for 2021.
With your excellent posts over the last 25 minutes, just how do you think that highlighted last sentence is going to occur?
See to me this is like a failing marriage where things are going to change if "they could just figure things out".
Well, no because the two partners have well established behavior patterns that have led to the current problems. The two partners here are the staff and the players.
Only an outside intervention (for marriage, a counselor of some sort), for Scott either an outside mentor or the interposition of new coaching staff offering a different way of thinking would lead to "figuring it out in 2021".
Otherwise I think we will see a "major divorce", with multiple players leaving via the transfer portal and recruits backing out before the Dec 16th early signing deadline which of course would be devastating to the program :(.

GBR

Last edited:
Exactly what anyone encouraged about the improvement they see from the Riley disaster is thinking. In defense of the offense I believe that Mills is sorely missed. The lack of a running game that can pound away is evident a true freshman or a 165 pound athlete aren’t going to get it done in the Big Ten. Penn State is having the same problems they lost their top two running backs and are relying on running QB’s.
Losing Bell and Washington hurt more than anyone realizes( yes they were head cases but they could hit a hole hard) Ozigbo certainly helped but there was a serious lack of any depth from Riley’s time. Frost is doing the best he can with a VERY young running back situation right now. Getting Mills was a real help and if he can get back on the field I believe this offense will get better.
I agree .
I will add losing JD and Stan were even worse for our wideouts.

People shouldnt wonder why Wandale is our standard bearer, and hen we must ask ourselves, will Betts completely turn it around?

I agree with you on the loss of Mills... I look back at that RB room in 2018 and there were some horses there:

Devine Ozigbo - Held turned him into a beast
Greg Bell - was leading rusher in the Mountain West before last weekend, currently at San Diego State
Mo Washington - Stud RB, awful off the field
Tre Bryant - injured but great talent, four star
Mikale Wilbon - didn't pan out but a good four star talent
Miles Jones Jr - Transferred to Tennessee, four stars
Wyatt Mazour, Brody Belt, Jaylin Bradley, Austin Rose, Austin Hemphill

We are struggling now a bit unfortunately in that RB room and I don't get it because Held is theoretically one of our best recruiters.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back