• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I am serious: Fire Chin now!

It's gotten to the point that I expect our opponents to score every time they touch the football.

Didn't his defences give up a lot of points at UCF? Of course the offence just out scored everyone. Not sure who I'm bashing here. lol

By the way, I had quite a bit of hope our offensive line this season would be as good as we've seen in several years -- and maybe the best single unit on the field, either side of the ball. I was obviously misguided in my thinking.

They are still too young, save Jaimes.
You have got 18-20 year old bodies trying to block 20-22 year old bodies.
That's the reverse of what we had with the Pipeline when we had the physically mature O-lineman.

It will be 2022 until we have the talent and maturity in the o-line to compete i the BIG, and I like our talent in the o-line right now very much but they are just kids playing adults :(

5 turnovers. Why does anyone think the defense is the problem?
1606001029511.png

Just look at the stats for the first three games:

-We came in giving up 32 point per game on defense, not going to win a lot doing that.
-Opponents 3rd down conversions:50%
-Giving up more than 200 yds/game both on the ground and in the air to our opponents.

Yes, if DONU offense gives up 5 turnovers that makes it even worse but if your defense allows the opponent to score every possession there is NO WAY TO WIN.

Way back in the late 1960's our offense was putrid but the Blackshirts held up their end, so that we won games:
Washington 17-7
Minnesota 7-0
KSU: 16-14

The only way this defense stops teams is with turnovers :(.

That has got to change or not only do we not win any more games, we lose our recruiting class too.

Last edited:
Not the point.

What was Frost hired to do? Bring a high-powered offense to Lincoln.

How were we going to win games? With a top notch defense? No. With a high-powered offense? Yes.

Which side of the ball has underachieved far more from expectations? The offense.

It's up to our offense to be effective enough so that the opposition is trying to keep up in the scoring -- giving our defense an advantage. Not the other way around. Not the defense holding the offense to 14-17 points each game so that our weak-assed offense can squeak by scoring 21.

We'd have a grand total of zero wins this season if it wasn't for our defense. It's not good at all (which isn't my ponit) -- but it's done more to hold up its end of the bargain than the craptastic display of our pathetically bad offense in the era of high-powered offense. There aren't many teams with top notch defenses any more -- but a whole lot of them can score points in bunches -- we can't.

Frost was never going to bring the Wisconsin brand to Nebraska. We thought he'd bring a game that would commonly result in 49-28 types of wins.
Scott Frost was brought here to win games. Period. However it was done. Chin doesn't get a pass for sucking because the offense isn't scoring 45 a game. I get that we're never going to have a 10 pt a game defense. That's hardly the expectation.

This defense can't do ANY of the fundamentals. That starts with tackling. They can't force a punt. They can't cover. Half the secondary thinks tackling with your helmet scores points. Etc.

There is a reason Florida didn't want Frost if he was bringing his whole staff. You don't bring in a relatively green HC and let him bring a green coaching staff. It's a recipe for DISASTER....soon to be represented by lighting about $40M on fire at the end of next season.

Chin isn't entirely responsible for NU sucking. Every coach in that program shares in that. And it's entirely reasonable for there to be a thread for each and every one of them to be raked over the coals.

How much to lure Coach Allen from Bloomington to Lincoln?
that ship has sailed. You gotta get him BEFORE he takes that P5 job. There's a lot of luck involved.

Additionally, the insane extension that frost was given prohibits a change before the end of 2022...MAYBE 2021. Just too much money on that contract.

Defense played what, 91 snaps against PSU?

They’re on the field the whole game.
A lot of that is self inflicted. If you are going to play "bend, don't break", not get 3 and outs, and let your opponents convert 50% of their 3rd down conversions, its your own fault you are on the field so much.

Yes, the offense doesn't help, but the D could do a lot to help themselves get off the field. They either refuse to or can't. Either way, its a problem. All three phases suck and they can't point the finger at each other.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back