• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Illinois Week Practice: Thursday Zoom Presser With Coach Frost Video Added

IF a D Tackle manages to make a tackle for loss that is a bonus. It is not however the expectation. realize they are managing 2 gaps. vs 1 in a 4-3. No one passes it up but if you know anything about the 3-4 the DL are meant to be disrupters not play makers. LB are the play makers.
Ask yourself these three questions.
1. Did the RB hit the intended hole?
2. Was the RB able to get up to full speed before getting to the line?
3. Did the RB go through the gap the DL is responsible for?

If the answer to all three of these is no...he did his job. Any realistic non bitter cry baby fan view of that play the answer is no to all 3.

Did he have the RB wrapped up but miss the tackle? Yes! Even when the RB wasn't at full speed, as you said. Why did he even try to tackle the guy? Man, doesn't tackling take precedence? The RB probably netted 5 yards due to a missed tackle. Sheesh.

Do you suppose Tuioti said something to him in the film room about missing a tackle? Something like, "Hey, good job but you had that guy wrapped up. You need to make that tackle." Tackling is fundamental!

The only thing that was wrong with that play was that the linebacker didn’t get there to clean it up. Robinson did everything right one of the linebackers should have finished the loss.
I guess only a few designated players are supposed to know how to tackle No wonder we gave up 500 yards.

Scott Frost going so conservative in the second half is very telling of a lot of things. But mostly I feel as though it just clearly shows that he is white-knuckling the Nebraska job. I worry that he puts too much pressure on himself to "bring Nebraska back".
Before we criticize Scott Frost for his play calling, let’s first discuss the difference between a play that is called and that same play executed on the field of play. I am preeeeetty sure that every Offensive coordinator in the history of the sport of football designs Offensive plays to be successful. Some people have different definitions for a successful play. I would say (and this is just an opinion) if a play is executed correctly we can probably assume that it is successful. So the variable here is execution. The experts on this site can and will break down the plays that are not executed properly. They can tell us which guy didn’t do their job.
I would definitely agree with you that the play calls got conservative. But yet if they executed the plays consistently time after time we would have long drives... taking time off the clock etc etc. THE EXECUTION HAS TO IMPROVE.

Last edited:

Guys, I get the sentiment about playing too safe. It's clear they did. But if they had gone balls to the wall and turned it over a bunch, they lose that game. There's a better balance, but I also think with the youth, especially at QB, and the recent track record of losing close games, he was happy to run out the clock (which runs contrary to the idea that he cares about how a win looks). They won the game, and hopefully it's a learning experience for players and staff.

Did he have the RB wrapped up but miss the tackle? Yes! Even when the RB wasn't at full speed, as you said. Why did he even try to tackle the guy? Man, doesn't tackling take precedence? The RB probably netted 5 yards due to a missed tackle. Sheesh.

Do you suppose Tuioti said something to him in the film room about missing a tackle? Something like, "Hey, good job but you had that guy wrapped up. You need to make that tackle." Tackling is fundamental!
Maybe 2 yards the lb hit him right at the los

Guy shucks his block gets to the RB at almost the same time. Slows him while the ILB crashes in and cleans up and people have problems with that I just don't get it. Young man played his butt off and gave everything on that play.

If he doesn't get the first contact the RB is up field in a hurry

Come on man
Two people who had not been to church in a long time both decided to go to their church on the same day. In the first guys church he came out saying. Man the choir was beautiful, the pastor spoke well and the people were friendly. The second guy went to his church and said man...that choir could not sing a note, the pastor's homily was terrible and the people around me were hypocrites. The thing is they both went to the same church and saw what they wanted to see.

If people want to see negativity they will find it wherever they look. Your point is valid but there is no one more blind then those who refuse to see.

Two people who had not been to church in a long time both decided to go to their church on the same day. In the first guys church he came out saying. Man the choir was beautiful, the pastor spoke well and the people were friendly. The second guy went to his church and said man...that choir could not sing a note, the pastor's homily was terrible and the people around me were hypocrites. The thing is they both went to the same church and saw what they wanted to see.

If people want to see negativity they will find it wherever they look. Your point is valid but there is no one more blind then those who refuse to see.
Well, my wife and I both sing in the church choir, and one of them sat too close to me :)

A win is a win-and always with improvements needed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back