• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

Not allowed to go to practices (thanks Covid), but here's what I heard. We all know how the game of telephone works, so when I talk about how great someone has been in fall camp and then we don't even have them on the team, try to go easy on me with the backlash!

Quarterback:
As i've been saying all 2020, this is Martinez's. I stated about a month ago on here that I saw him this summer at the golf course and he looked to be in much better shape, sounds like that's holding true with how he's performing in practice. For those of you on the McCaffrey bandwagon, what I stated a few weeks ago about us finding ways to get him the ball even if it's not at QB, sounds like that is still coming to fruition. Thinking about having him out there with Robinson, Martinez, and Mills is pretty exciting.

Runningback:
Mills is a beast, really excited about how his hands have came along to go with his downhill running. Austin being the running game coordinator who was frustrated with our east/west run style last year due to him thinking it wasn't what he thought our OL was good at will highlight our advantages not only on the OL but with Mills. I do get worried about our #2 situation. I think we will find someone to do it, but Robinson and/or McCaffrey as our #2 option isn't what we want (not saying that's where we are at). Rahmir running with 2s, but let's see how our 2020 guys do with the pads on. Free year, don't have to worry about 4 games or less.

Tightends:
Went here first because how we play this is what dictates our WR situation. Stoll will still be the man, but Vokolek is what we thought he would be. He's a combo of good blocker and good receiver, but not quite ready to take over for Stoll (yet?). Allen and Rafdal, for those guys it basically comes down to who gets more consistent. They both show flashes depending what practice it is.

Wide Receiver:
This is where it gets a little dicey. Even though losing JD really hurts, our 2020 WR core is better than 2019 if for no other reason than we are healthier as of right now. The unfortunate thing is when people say that, the automatic response is almost "well no kidding." I am only slightly exaggerating when I say Bellevue Wests WR core is better than 2019 Nebraska WR core. Falck is going to be a better grad transfer than Noa was, Warner is finally feeling good and is Martinez's security blanket, Robinson would have been our best WR in 2020 anyway and if he gets healthy we are good. From there grab some 2019 or 2020 recruits to fill in the gaps.

Offensive Line:
Austin has done a really good job of creating depth here. Even though we are starting a bunch of "Riley guys", I like where we are with #2s behind them as well. We could literally start all 5 guys that started last year, so we could go with experience if we wanted. But we have so many options, and it's been reported as such, that we won't. I worry about backup tackles, but other than that we are fine on the interior. Benhart can hopefully get used to his height at this level, but is Gaylord recovered? Will Corcoran be ready? Banks or Fritzsche feeling up to it? Either way, we are fine.

Defensive Line:
Can never tell if we are that good or that bad when you go against each other. But we do feel pretty good about our front line. After that we are piecing it together a bit. Robinson is really the only one consistently getting the better of our offense. Hopefully Damion Daniels can get 20% of the snaps at NG for us, that would be great. Backup DE is what we need help at. If Keem Green is ready, this should be slightly better than serviceable.

Inside Linebacker:
I think Ruud has done a good job getting this room up to snuff with talent. The issue becomes we feel good about 3 or 4 guys here that we are trying guys at OLB (reported that Henrich is shifting out there a bit). We can go with experience and stopping the run with Miller and Honas, or can get a little more athletic with Reimer, Henrich, or Snodgrass. I literally have heard nothing about Hannah which sucks as I was really high on him.

Outside Linebacker:
This is where I worry. Domann is our best defender, but we are in a world of hurt at our other spot. We have guys that are really good at one or two things, but not overall. For example, Nelson can help set the edge and stop the run, but he's still learning coverage. Same with Damian Jackson. Tannor screws up his assignments from time to time. They even moved Pheldarius Payne here. If i'm the staff I have Mauga-Clements as my third and long OLB. That should help us. But we need to find someone opposite Domann here. It will be by committee to start.

Defensive Backs:
We are mixing and matching to find our best 4. As I said a couple weeks ago, we really like our starting two safeties, but what do we do after that? Someone brought up Isaac Gifford to me a week ago and he was mentioned a couple times to me as someone to look out for. That doesn't encourage me, if we are relying on him our depth isn't great. Not saying he isn't going to be good, it's just the guy that was an "afterthought" offer may be looked on for playing. Kind of crazy. Corner I still feel ok about as long as Bootle, Joseph, or CTB stay healthy. If one of them go down like Clark we are in a world of hurt.
Dude, you truly bring the most to this online thread. Always so insightful and bring the answers to questions. Really appreciate all you do.

A lot of discussion on schemes, recruiting and personnel. One thing that has been hinted at and seems to be the elephant in the room that nobody wants to say.........development. The number 1 thing that we had during the Bob Devany, TO and to a certain extent FS and Bo was they developed what they had. Everyone could argue that Bo might have had some stubbornness in regards to his defensive schemes but he put a lot of people in the NFL. In our glory days there were many of our players who weren't drafted as projects because the NFL knew we already maxed them out. This is an important year to see if our players are playing like they are maxed out. I can't say that I've seen that many great surprises in development between 2018 and 2019. I certainly wasn't seeing anything during the Riley years.

This was a real headscratcher for me. Were our guys just that bad at reading things or was it scheme? Our LB's and Secondary also liked to run directly into gigantic offensive lineman when blitzing.
I’m just someone other than me was frustrated about that. I kept reading posts on how much we will miss Barry. Not a personal hit against the kid, just didn’t think he was what people were building him up to be.

I think that makes sense. I think Stille will be able to be serviceable for us, but the other DE spot and NG I worry about. There was definitely some tension between Frost and the Davis twins. But if losing 2 NFL draft picks is a good thing, I worry about our coaching.

The Davis twins (along with Darrion Daniels) are going to be the new Tommy Armstrong. Everyone thought we'd be fine once we got some of "our guys" playing that "are a better fit for our scheme" and then Tanner Lee happened. We won't appreciate them until we don't have them. Luckily 2020 is kind of a throw away year.
The bad thing for teams like Ohio State is the only way to go when you’re on top is down. While this year may be a throwaway year for Nebraska, I think it will be a year that Ohio State has to maintain talent, while it gives teams like Nebraska the opportunity to gain talent.

The Huskers should be improved but still have issues at WR and DL. Ohio St did lose a fair amount of experience so I’m hopeful the Huskers can make a game of it. But OSU has had 30 years of solid recruiting while Nebraska has had 3 under the current regime... which is why the spread is so high.

The bad thing for teams like Ohio State is the only way to go when you’re on top is down. While this year may be a throwaway year for Nebraska, I think it will be a year that Ohio State has to maintain talent, while it gives teams like Nebraska the opportunity to gain talent.
I couldn't disagree more. Frost needs to show improvement this year for recruiting alone. Another sub .500 year will mean three straight for SF and 4 straight for the team. This is NOT a throwaway year.

They actually brought this up yesterday on one of the NFL games I was flipping thru. That defensive yardage just isn't a good measure anymore for total defensive efficiency, due to the way offenses have evolved. If you give up a bunch of yards and tighten up to just allow a field goal or punt from your own 40-50 yard line, then that should be considered a win. Totally agree.

Definitely, case in point is the Chiefs/Bills game from Monday/Yesterday. The I started watching the game with about 10 minutes left in the game. Yardage wise the Chiefs had dominated the game the showed that they had basically doubled up Buffalo in yardage at that point. The graphic was something like 400 to 200 yards of offense. I then watched as Buffalo scored with about 7 minutes left to make it a 1 score game at 23-17 Chiefs. If Buffalo gets 1 more stop and can score they can win. If you look at the final stat sheet you would think the Chiefs had killed them on the scoreboard.

I couldn't disagree more. Frost needs to show improvement this year for recruiting alone. Another sub .500 year will mean three straight for SF and 4 straight for the team. This is NOT a throwaway year.
I don't disagree with what you're saying.

Recruiting but....shouldn't the coaches coach to our skillset?
But again, NFL GMs think we were best suited for the 3-4. We've recruited for the 3-4 better than Wisconsin who runs it at a top 10 in the nation level. For the last 4 years where Nebraska has recruited to the 3-4, we have pulled in 10 four star front 7 players on defense. Wisconsin over that time frame has pulled in only 6 four stars. Furthering the point, we have pulled in more four star LBs in that time frame than Wisconsin has pulled in for their entire front 7.

If we don't have the ability to play the 3-4, it's not because our skillset isn't built for it.

Last edited:
But again, NFL GMs think we were best suited for the 3-4. We've recruited for the 3-4 better than Wisconsin who runs it at a top 10 in the nation level. For the last 4 years where Nebraska has recruited to the 3-4, we have pulled in 10 four star front 7 players on defense. Wisconsin over that time frame has pulled in only 6 four stars. Furthering the point, we have pulled in more four star LBs in that time frame than Wisconsin has pulled in for their entire front 7.

If we don't have the ability to play the 3-4, it's not because our skillset isn't built for it.
Changing the subject, but any chance we see the I formation against OSU like they did when we played them before? Also wondering if the north/south running game change will lend itself to something like this.

Changing the subject, but any chance we see the I formation against OSU like they did when we played them before? Also wondering if the north/south running game change will lend itself to something like this.
We really took them off guard with that. They had to call a timeout then shut us down. With that said, I think the small chance we have to get Ohio State is our north/south run game strength (Mills and our OL going north/south not east/west), against the middle of their defense where those guys are newer.

Wouldn't we have to lay that at the feet of the coordinator? We have the talent to fit the scheme

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back