• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

Opinion, a team cannot win, in the BIG without a dominating D. Opinion, Chinander does not know how to recruit or coach that type of D, based on our experience so far. Turnovers don't win games, suffocating D does. GBR
yep

Opinion, a team cannot win, in the BIG without a dominating D. Opinion, Chinander does not know how to recruit or coach that type of D, based on our experience so far. Turnovers don't win games, suffocating D does. GBR

This is pathetic. He has been in town 2 seasons and took over a train wreck. Way, way to premature for this kind of indictment.

I would agree, which scares me. Not sure how much he will play or how much he's been practicing, but they are turning over every rock to find some OLB depth.
This could be the bane of our defense for a couple years, yet...hard to come in ready made at this position, given everything they are asked to do.

I have heard talk that we might end up playing a lot more 3-3-5 this year as a result or some combination of 5-2-4 or something to make up the difference. If we dont' have a guy that can make the plays, then they will have to scheme it differently, I would imagine. Can't just try and line up in a set with a clear exploitable weakness.

Your post also made me wonder how the carries at RB will be shared...15-20 per game for Mills. 2-5 Robinson in the Duck-R. 5-10 QB. 5-10 #2 & #3 RB.

If backup RBs are splitting 5-10 touches a game, then that makes a difference as compared to what M. Washington was doing for us to start last season.

This could be the bane of our defense for a couple years, yet...hard to come in ready made at this position, given everything they are asked to do.

I have heard talk that we might end up playing a lot more 3-3-5 this year as a result or some combination of 5-2-4 or something to make up the difference. If we dont' have a guy that can make the plays, then they will have to scheme it differently, I would imagine. Can't just try and line up in a set with a clear exploitable weakness.
People in the media have made reference to “Chinander actually has a four man line set some of the time”, which I guess is true if you just count how many people are on the line. What they neglect is the fact that in a 4-3 your DL never have pass coverage responsibilities 99% of the time. In a 3-4 you almost always do at the OLB spot, which is really the crux of the issue. We have Domann that can do both, Tannor could do both if he was more assignment sound, then Nelson who is an edge setter and get up the field guy.

It’s going to be interesting.

Last edited:
This is pathetic. He has been in town 2 seasons and took over a train wreck. Way, way to premature for this kind of indictment.
All i can say is show me.

Last year we were ranked 64th in total defense after having been 94th the year before and 100th when he took over. For points scored against us we were 66th after being 88the the year before and 115th when it was handed to him. Additionally the team under Riley the last year was 52nd in possession time. Scott Frost offense has moved them to 111th in 2018 and 92nd in 2019 making it much more difficult for this defense. There are things to see in regards to defensive improvement under Chin if one is willing to look.

Last year we were ranked 64th in total defense after having been 94th the year before and 100th when he took over. For points scored against us we were 66th after being 88the the year before and 115th when it was handed to him. Additionally the team under Riley the last year was 52nd in possession time. Scott Frost offense has moved them to 111th in 2018 and 92nd in 2019 making it much more difficult for this defense. There are things to see in regards to defensive improvement under Chin if one is willing to look.
Well said. People who look at stats in a vacuum often miss the bigger picture.

This is the point i've been trying to make on here. All the disdain for Chinander is directed wrongly IMO. He's actually done a better job than our offense in improvement and production from when he got here. I have a hard time thinking we will improve from 2019 to 2020, but if he does, I think at that point the criticism should stop. I'm expecting a slight stepback though with a completely new defensive line and some key injuries.

It's an easy target because everyone has an image of the Blackshirts in their head. By no means has the defense been as good the last 2 years as it should be. That being said, 5-7 falls more on the offense than the defense.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back