• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

SS, looking for your comments on Alante.
I messed up and forgot about him. To be fair, I think he has plays where he goes to the house, and then plays where he drops an easy pass. He's still learning the position a bit, but I think he's electric enough that you'll see him this year if Lubick has confidence in him. Just needs to bring consistency like Allen and Rafdal are working on. Most true freshmen have that problem though.

***, do you think that the coaching staff (FROST) will in a way pivot to making sure the offence is running to the max this year after seeing the appalling lack of defense so far as a whole this season in college football? Almost seems that the teams that have the most sound offenses are the ones getting the "W"...guessing this is attributed to lack of practice time due to Covid and is affecting how prepared and focused the defenses are/can be as a whole? I would be tempted to focus on offense then special teams first in a sense, especially with a new (albeit a familiar O-coordinator) would be the best use of time and resources to secure wins for the team and Frost in particular. (Disclaimer --- un-certified arm chair coach here lol)
As always, appreciate the analysis. GBR!

I would agree, which scares me. Not sure how much he will play or how much he's been practicing, but they are turning over every rock to find some OLB depth.
Could he also be there as a motivator? He seems to be a guy that could light a fire under someone’s butt and get them going. He wouldn’t be the most athletic or talented, but maybe he knows how to push the other guys?

I would agree, which scares me. Not sure how much he will play or how much he's been practicing, but they are turning over every rock to find some OLB depth.
It's a feel good story if the former Navy Seal gets some PT … but, it also feels a lot like Davis from a year ago if he is getting meaningful snaps.

If that is the case, then my take is he is the mode to primarily setting the edge and I would be coaching him up like he was the still the lead man on a 'Stack Drill' for a special ops forced entry … give him a couple keys to follow and a couple 'actions on contact.'

Could he also be there as a motivator? He seems to be a guy that could light a fire under someone’s butt and get them going. He wouldn’t be the most athletic or talented, but maybe he knows how to push the other guys?
He certainly fits the description as a great motivator. Guy will have a great career as a strength coach if he wants to go that route.

***, do you think that the coaching staff (FROST) will in a way pivot to making sure the offence is running to the max this year after seeing the appalling lack of defense so far as a whole this season in college football? Almost seems that the teams that have the most sound offenses are the ones getting the "W"...guessing this is attributed to lack of practice time due to Covid and is affecting how prepared and focused the defenses are/can be as a whole? I would be tempted to focus on offense then special teams first in a sense, especially with a new (albeit a familiar O-coordinator) would be the best use of time and resources to secure wins for the team and Frost in particular. (Disclaimer --- un-certified arm chair coach here lol)
Part of me wonders how much Frost is enamored with what Martinez looked like his first game against Colorado before his injury. That was a special QB. I think he made a move on OC because he knew with what they do, they had to be better. I also think that Lubick is going to change some of the reads/play calls to help us get some short/intermediate passes (more TEs and RBs) more in the gameplan. Too many times you saw Martinez just lock onto someone downfield that was never open.

It's a feel good story if the former Navy Seal gets some PT … but, it also feels a lot like Davis from a year ago if he is getting meaningful snaps.

If that is the case, then my take is he is the mode to primarily setting the edge and I would be coaching him up like he was the still the lead man on a 'Stack Drill' for a special ops forced entry … give him a couple keys to follow and a couple 'actions on contact.'
I'll give Chinander and Dewitt props, Alex Davis was twice the football player in 2019 than he was in 2018. But that wasn't good enough.

Or maybe the NU staff should concentrate on having a grade A defense. If nobody can stop anybody then the NU offense should be able to put up points easily, just like all the other teams. However, if the NU defense can stop people, that is a team that can differentiate itself from the masses.

F46FC59D-8489-4860-8084-26085E5489AE.gif

Or maybe the NU staff should concentrate on having a grade A defense. If nobody can stop anybody then the NU offense should be able to put up points easily, just like all the other teams. However, if the NU defense can stop people, that is a team that can differentiate itself from the masses.
While I agree with your thinking for the D, and it should be a stronger point of emphasis for the team in my eyes too, I believe that it has been discussed many times on this board from those who are FAR more knowledgeable that our defense is designed for creating turnovers and to weather the pain they receive and let the offense wear teams down. Sadly, I do imagine us seeing the same amount or even more pain on the defensive side of the ball this year due to COVID limiting practices in 2020 (and the lack of bowl practice) due the type of defense Frost is willing to employ. Again, thus far in college football 2020, those with an impressive offense are going to put themselves in a better position to win it seems compared to most years. This program desperately needs wins to gain and maintain recruiting momentum over BIG10 West teams and regain positive exposure. If it means shoring up the offense and turning it into a tank at the expense of the D, all things considered, this is the year do it.
While always hoping for a win against the big boys like Ohio State / Wisconsin/ Iowa or any team with a pulse, I think improvement will be found this year if we see us putting up 35+ points in those games....should mean that Frost is getting the offense rolling more the way he needs it to, regardless if it is a loss this year.
Damn this post is wordy...my bad. Just hoping the offense is more the way it is designed to be, and with defenses struggling across the board we capitalize.
GBR

While I agree with your thinking for the D, and it should be a stronger point of emphasis for the team in my eyes too, I believe that it has been discussed many times on this board from those who are FAR more knowledgeable that our defense is designed for creating turnovers and to weather the pain they receive and let the offense wear teams down. Sadly, I do imagine us seeing the same amount or even more pain on the defensive side of the ball this year due to COVID limiting practices in 2020 (and the lack of bowl practice) due the type of defense Frost is willing to employ. Again, thus far in college football 2020, those with an impressive offense are going to put themselves in a better position to win it seems compared to most years. This program desperately needs wins to gain and maintain recruiting momentum over BIG10 West teams and regain positive exposure. If it means shoring up the offense and turning it into a tank at the expense of the D, all things considered, this is the year do it.
While always hoping for a win against the big boys like Ohio State / Wisconsin/ Iowa or any team with a pulse, I think improvement will be found this year if we see us putting up 35+ points in those games....should mean that Frost is getting the offense rolling more the way he needs it to, regardless if it is a loss this year.
Damn this post is wordy...my bad. Just hoping the offense is more the way it is designed to be, and with defenses struggling across the board we capitalize.
GBR

Very few teams are faring well defensively this year. Look at what Bama has done, and I highly doubt anyone here would criticize their talent or coaching. If there is just a little improvement defensively, then the offense just needs to be where it was 2 years ago for this team to win 5 games.

GBR
Opinion, a team cannot win, in the BIG without a dominating D. Opinion, Chinander does not know how to recruit or coach that type of D, based on our experience so far. Turnovers don't win games, suffocating D does. GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back