• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big 12 votes to play

Is it getting worse for college aged kids? Is playing football going to increase their risk?
It’s just getting worse all the way around. Look around. I don’t have all the answers no one does, but the current pace cannot be sustained. I think that should be evident to any, clear thinking person.

It’s just getting worse all the way around. Look around. I don’t have all the answers no one does, but the current pace cannot be sustained. I think that should be evident to any, clear thinking person.

You answered that question like Commission Warren answers questions, brother. You know that truth. I know you know the truth.

I've been over all fan of the BIG but this draconian action by the conference gives me pause if the Huskers should consider leaving the conference now. I keep looking at the BIG schools that immediately jumped on board to not playing and they almost all have one thing in common.

If the SEC, Big 12 and ACC can pull this off they are going to create a huge advantage going forward and not just in economics. Frankly I'm warming to the idea of Nebraska leaving the BIG and getting on with our program. I wouldn't allow the BIG commissoner to scare NU into keeping quiet and show FALSE support for the conference no play decision.

I think the BIG has made a hasty decision and was stampeded into making a mostly political decision to not play.

Transfer portal tsunami begins ..... B1G players ==> Bevo Conference
Where are they going to go? I would imagine most rosters are full right now. I believe I saw from @Red Reign awhile back that Nebraska couldn't take a certain transfer this year. Knowing how we seldom get to 85 I don't think the math is going to support widespread transfers even if the NCAA allowed immediate eligibility. It would take an uber athlete and student of the game to be able to transfer somewhere else with the season a month away and make a impact.

I don't see Nebraska jumping conferences just to play this year. You'd look awful silly if you say fine we'll leave the BIG 10 and go play for the BIG 12, only to see them shut everything down a few weeks later.

If you really want to move you wait and do it in a few months or next year, but you don't do it in the next couple weeks. So that means just in case you stay, you don't play games this fall.

You can't make a hurried decision today that may adversely affect you for years to come, just doesn't make any sense.

I'm hoping we do play some games despite the B1G ruling. We need to play against whomever will schedule us.
And have all our players lose a year of eligibility while the rest of the conference doesn't because they sat out a year. We're far enough behind the way it is, I don't want to see us fall even farther behind.

What's getting worse? Almost every metric (when tracked correctly) is improving. We have had 2 seasonal waves (depending on latitude and weather zones). A northern/Northeast wave, and now we're over the peak for the south/south-west waves.

We are testing VASTLY more than we did earlier (so the comp numbers on cases from NY to Texas are absolutely meaningless), the Death counts aren't. And we're over the peak there for our second seasonal wave as well.

I get it, the levels of misinformation from idiotic reporters are difficult to deal with and they wear us down, but don't be distracted by case numbers that attempt to compare what's happening today with what was happening in NY (for instance). As the testing goes up, they are catching cases that existed in NY, but were never captured by testing -- that means a younger, and much less symptomatic group of "cases" (side note - is someone a "case" if they are completely asymptomatic, and if yes, why?)

here's a good example from FL (and don't forget that their death rate from this is MULTIPLES LOWER than that of NY or NJ)

Where are they going to go? I would imagine most rosters are full right now. I believe I saw from @Red Reign awhile back that Nebraska couldn't take a certain transfer this year. Knowing how we seldom get to 85 I don't think the math is going to support widespread transfers even if the NCAA allowed immediate eligibility. It would take an uber athlete and student of the game to be able to transfer somewhere else with the season a month away and make a impact.

At present we are full for the 2020 class. We are asking for a waiver on Grey's scholarship that if approved would open one more spot.

As for other schools I would assume many are in the same circumstances. Not to mention enrollment deadlines etc

Last edited:
And have all our players lose a year of eligibility while the rest of the conference doesn't because they sat out a year. We're far enough behind the way it is, I don't want to see us fall even farther behind.

Will that even be a concern long term? I doubt there will be a spring season, and if there is, so many players will opt out or go pro. And if the NCAA allows schools to increase the scholarship limit above 85 to account for the extra year of eligibility, a lot of schools won't financially be able to sustain that anyway (possibly including Nebraska at this point).

I know it is fun to dream that Nebraska may get to play some games this fall. But it isn't going to happen. The Big Ten is not going to allow some schools to play games when the conference has decided that the conference will not have football this fall. If you watched the BTN show yesterday it was obvious that the conference and all other 13 programs besides Nebraska made a big show of presenting a united front. Either they all play, or nobody plays.

And Nebraska is not going to leave the Big Ten, for many reasons.

What is not being discussed is how much money will the BIG10 Network not pay the conference for cancelling fall sports. The network has taken a huge hit. It is foolish to suggest that the schools are going to get the same promised payout. NU needs to get with the BIG 12 and play. The state and the school cannot afford the financial hit. Bring Iowa with them.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 9.06.50 AM.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back