• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Omaha High School Fall Sports/Cancelled (Update)

I don't get the "either/or" argument. If they can be in school why CAN'T they play sports? Doesn't make much sense.

OPS is a shtshow.
She’s like the girl in high school that would be mad if they wished the football team luck during the school announcements. She’s absolutely getting blown up on social media right now. I know there’s a petition going around for the kids who want to play.

I can see the calculated risk of additional exposure being a variable. Exposure during school, then additional exposure during practice, and again during games. It increases possibility exponentially. Not saying it is right or wrong, but the numbers would get bumped up.
If I thought they were going to be taking and enforcing legit precautions inside the schools I'd maybe agree. But I just don't see how you can do that. Are the going to disinfect desks between classes? Correct every kid wearing his/her mask wrong? Have attendants in every bathroom disinfecting every surface every kid touches? The answers are, of course, no. Once they've decided to have school...might as well have all of school. If the decision was to have online learning only then I get that the "no sports" would be consistent.

JMO highly unqualified opinion.

This is just OPS at this point, right? Obviously would put a big dent into Class A sports, but will have no impact on how any lower classification goes about their fall sports schedules. Even still for Class A, things wouldn't be that bad, unless Millard, Westside and the Catholic schools in Omaha follow suit.

The Class A Lincoln school each have 1-2 OPS schools on their schedules. Yes, no clue about the private/parochial/suburb schools in Omaha at this point. Still, there will be some holes to fill on several teams still planning on playing football.

The Class A Lincoln school each have 1-2 OPS schools on their schedules. Yes, no clue about the private/parochial/suburb schools in Omaha at this point. Still, there will be some holes to fill on several teams still planning on playing football.

There will have to be some last-minute changes to schedules, but if OPS cancels, then all Omaha and Lincoln schools would be in the same boat, so at least for football, they should be able to still come out with a full schedule. A sport like volleyball, with all the invitationals and tournaments would be a lot more difficult to fix this close to the start of the season.

Sorry posted this on another forum: Regarding OPS "no school or no sports" - The VB athletes will begin club ball much sooner vs later while the FB athletes....well they don't have any true options.

Also, if there are no extra-curricular activities then it's only school/class work and home, right ? NOT ! High school kids aren't going to sit around at home - they'll find "other" stuff to do, which may not all be positive activities.

FWIW, Lincoln has a mask mandate, Omaha does not.

Omaha should have their mandate by Tuesday night, but I don't see that stopping smaller spikes like the one they are having now. Japan and the Philippines are having huge spikes and both countries have been at the top of the list for mask compliance since the start of this.

I feel for the coaches, parents, and players with moving fall sports to spring in particular football; are kids who are going onto play college football really want to play in the spring and risk injury? Know it has been discussed how it is going to impact recruiting.......here's another aspect.........so a kid isn't going to get to play his senior year if he wants or plans on enrolling early?

Omaha should have their mandate by Tuesday night, but I don't see that stopping smaller spikes like the one they are having now. Japan and the Philippines are having huge spikes and both countries have been at the top of the list for mask compliance since the start of this.
But most likely won't go into effect until September.. "Under a normal timeline, the ordinance would take effect sometime in September."

I was in Wichita for a tournament last weekend. They have a mask mandate. 60% of people weren’t wearing masks. It’s not enforced at all. I don’t really know if it can be enforced. I myself was wearing a mask.

But most likely won't go into effect until September.. "Under a normal timeline, the ordinance would take effect sometime in September."

Actually the link you posted said immediately.

Omahans could be required to wear masks in many settings as soon as Tuesday if six of the seven City Council members approve an emergency ordinance that day.

At least it is just Omaha. In Minnesota they have had a mask mandate since mid July but it didn’t make a difference in deciding if they could have football and volleyball this fall. Both sports postponed until spring but they kept soccer, tennis and cross country this fall. I think volleyball was sacrificed so they could say both boys and girls both had a sport postponed, daughter is pretty PO’d about it. This was a pretty much a case of Minneapolis making the decision for the whole state.

Omaha is probably why the CDC considers Nebraska a high risk "red zone". Too many people taking the "They can't tell me what to do, I'm going to do what I want and live my life" attitude.

I've drove through the Benson strip the last couple of Friday nights, there are tons of people at the bars and walking around without a mask in sight. If you think about how many people all of those people will interact with outside of Benson , it's concerning.

Last edited:
Omaha is probably why the CDC considers Nebraska a high risk "red zone". Too many people taking the "They can't tell me what to do, I'm going to do what I want and live my life" attitude.

I've drove through the Benson strip the last couple of Friday nights, there are tons of people at the bars and walking around without a mask in sight. If you think about how many people all of those people will interact with outside of Benson , it's concerning.
Nashville has been in a mask mandate since June. It was a bit slow to gain traction but you rarely see anyone without as mask. I was back in Omaha a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked at how few I saw wearing masks. I understand it's not mandated and even though I wear one, I'm not a Karen about it. I guess I was conditioned to see it in Music City and wasn't used to seeing faces. I hate Walmart but had to run into one in Papillion and because it was mandated, that's really the only place I saw extensive face coverings.

Actually the link you posted said immediately.

Omahans could be required to wear masks in many settings as soon as Tuesday if six of the seven City Council members approve an emergency ordinance that day.
They need super-majority (6 votes) of the City Council to enact immediately. There are not 6 votes in the affirmative.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back