• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Andy Hoffman, founder of Team Jack, diagnosed with brain tumor

I don’t know if they tested environment when Jack was diagnosed, but I have to wonder if they have something in their home/water/air that is causing this. Seems unlikely to happen to both.
Genes inherited?

My family health history, absolutely no heart diseases at all ...... parents, uncles, aunts, siblings. But weird cancer killer and occasionally, dreaded Alzheimer's disease.

Some doctors said more brain tumor/cancer cases because increased cellphone users.

Last edited:

Absolute possibility. The thing that makes me think environment is that Jack's happened at a very young age, and Andy's is occurring later in life.

When my son was diagnosed, they told us many people have a brain tumor their whole life and never know it. It never grows enough to be problematic. It's possible Andy's just wasn't large enough to cause problem until now. Location in the brain plays a huge part in the level of difficulty a tumor can cause. If Jacks happened in a more critical area of the brain, it might have cause problems at a much smaller size. Since Andy's tumor is described as massive, it may be benign (hopefully); but, have been growing for a long time. It can be genetic. Often, it is just random mutation. I know of one other Team Jack family where the parent also had a brain tumor. I don't know if any others do.

When my son was diagnosed, they told us many people have a brain tumor their whole life and never know it. It never grows enough to be problematic. It's possible Andy's just wasn't large enough to cause problem until now. Location in the brain plays a huge part in the level of difficulty a tumor can cause. If Jacks happened in a more critical area of the brain, it might have cause problems at a much smaller size. Since Andy's tumor is described as massive, it may be benign (hopefully); but, have been growing for a long time. It can be genetic. Often, it is just random mutation. I know of one other Team Jack family where the parent also had a brain tumor. I don't know if any others do.
I’m terribly sorry you and yours had to go through that. Thank you for the insight.

It is unlikely that he has a primary brain cancer as his son does.

Primary brain cancer is common in children, much less so in adults where it is more common to see large metastatic masses from tumors that are primary elsewhere.

In men these are testicular cancer, lung cancer, lymphoma, renal cell cancer and prostate cancer.

I am sure we will quickly figure out what the problem is and hopefully it is one of the treatable cancers.

GBR

Such terrible news for a family that has been through so much. Sending hopeful thoughts that the courage and strength this family has already shown will carry them through whatever challenges lie ahead.

Read this several days ago and was so stunned and bummed out had nothing to add what's already been said. Only thing I can offer is wishing the very best outcome once the situation has been fully evaluated. Life certainly isn't fair but it's all we have!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back