• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 Omaha Area Recruits

If it’s all about record, then why are we taking some of their local talent? Or beating them on players in their 500 mile radius? If we lose one from Omaha, but gain one from Council Bluffs, is that still a loss, or should we be winning them all?
I can only quote why we are losing local Omaha kids. You would have to ask someone with more familiarity with Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin recruiting your other question.

But since you asked I guess i'll throw it back at you, in the 2021 and 2022 classes, what local talent are you referring to that we are taking from either of those 3 schools? Iowa is the only state we have guys committed from in regard to the three schools referenced, and i've already talked in other threads about how they are destroying us head to head for recruits something like 6 to 1, so i'm not sure I would claim victory there? We don't have a single guy committed from Minnesota or Wisconsin unless you know something I don't.

The key point i'm making is when recruits fathers or support staff reach out to others of "do we think Nebraska is going in the right direction" and they don't have to do that for Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa... it's a pretty easy answer as to why we lost 1 Omaha kid in 2020, 2 in 2021, and could lose 3 in 2022. Gotta win. Our staff can make mistakes with the couple other things i've mentioned where we can improve recruiting locally if they are 9-3. Heck, Bo made those mistakes regularly.

Last edited:

I think the next hurdle for this program is developing a physical and mental toughness. When I watched the documentary on the 1997 championship and saw how those kids fought and battled together really opened my eyes to the culture we had back then. Its going to take committed and hard working kids to turn this thing right side up. We've recruited well enough to be better than we are....its time for the foundation and culture to take over and produce results.

I think the next hurdle for this program is developing a physical and mental toughness. When I watched the documentary on the 1997 championship and saw how those kids fought and battled together really opened my eyes to the culture we had back then. Its going to take committed and hard working kids to turn this thing right side up. We've recruited well enough to be better than we are....its time for the foundation and culture to take over and produce results.

I had similar thoughts watching those 90s replays. Watching Frost throw blocks like a tight end versus Martinez running out of bounds to avoid contact has me thinking we need a display of toughness from the leaders on this team. I’m hopeful that a healthy Martinez will start to play the game a little more like his head coach did. If he can play with some toughness it should be contagious.

Those 90s teams were brutal. Puts a smile on my face.

I’ll trade the smaller town/Lincoln kids who bleed red and love the program (Ethan Piper, Garrett Nelson, Nash Hutmacher, Isaac Gifford, Luke Reimer) over the Omaha Pre-Madonnas any day. You wanna be here or you dont.

Be nice if some coaches in the Omaha area would give Frost the benefit of the doubt as a young coach rather than pointing kids elsewhere and throwing him under the fire after just 2 years. Oh he didnt call and give an omaha HS heads up he was coming to campus to visit a kid? THE HORROR.

Didnt we beat God Send PJ Fleck in his second year by 50? I watched a lot of minnesota last year, talk about a fluke 10 win season. Squeaked by SDSU thanks to crap officiating, and literally played nobody in the Non-Con.

I dont see PJ Fluke sustaining success in Minny. And if youd rather send a player/son to iowa to play for D-Bag Kirk and son then so be it. It took Ferentz 25 years to build a consistent winner and hes close to retirement anyway. Me? Im riding with the Big Red through rain or shine.

Last edited:

Different gender, so different sport but my expectation of my kids coaches is that they are in her and her teammates corner 100%. Always trying to do what’s best for the kids. Every athlete should expect that.

I agree you only want kids here who want to be here.

I’ll trade the smaller town/Lincoln kids who bleed red and love the program (Ethan Piper, Garrett Nelson, Nash Hutmacher, Isaac Gifford, Luke Reimer) over the Omaha Pre-Madonnas any day. You wanna be here or you dont.

Be nice if some coaches in the Omaha area would give Frost the benefit of the doubt as a young coach rather than pointing kids elsewhere and throwing him under the fire after just 2 years. Oh he didnt call and give an omaha HS heads up he was coming to campus to visit a kid? THE HORROR.

Didnt we beat God Send PJ Fleck in his second year by 50? I watched a lot of minnesota last year, talk about a fluke 10 win season. Squeaked by SDSU thanks to crap officiating, and literally played nobody in the Non-Con.

I dont see PJ Fluke sustaining success in Minny. And if youd rather send a player/son to iowa to play for D-Bag Kirk and son then so be it. It took Ferentz 25 years to build a consistent winner and hes close to retirement anyway. Me? Im riding with the Big Red through rain or shine.

Fleck is annoying but a really good coach. He came into two difficult situations as a HC and righted the ship. Remember the MN legal troubles and player revolt going on in the months before his hiring. W. Mich was a mess when he took over. Heck, he’s 39 years old and has been HC in 5 bowl games already.

And to answer your question, no NU did not beat MN by 50 in Fleck’s 2nd season. The score was 53-28 and was followed shortly after by the DC being canned. Since which MN has had a remarkable 14-3 run.

Anyway, Fleck isn’t the reason NU is missing out on Omaha and I don’t really care about him. Hoping NU sees similar results.

Fleck is annoying but a really good coach. He came into two difficult situations as a HC and righted the ship. Remember the MN legal troubles and player revolt going on in the months before his hiring. W. Mich was a mess when he took over. Heck, he’s 39 years old and has been HC in 5 bowl games already.

And to answer your question, no NU did not beat MN by 50 in Fleck’s 2nd season. The score was 53-28 and was followed shortly after by the DC being canned. Since which MN has had a remarkable 14-3 run.

Anyway, Fleck isn’t the reason NU is missing out on Omaha and I don’t really care about him. Hoping NU sees similar results.
One correction... Fleck righted the boat (by rowing), not the ship.

Fleck took over a team that was 9-4 the year before he got there. I dont think they have played a power 5 non conference opponent yet. No Ohio state or Michigan on the schedule last year.

Didn’t realize living 40 miles down the road means you can’t bleed red. What a stupid comment....

As *** said, coaches have been ruining the in-state relationships for years. Combine that with a crap product on the field, and there’s multiple reasons not to push the kids to Lincoln.

BTW.... while all of those kids COULD turn out fantastic, none have done anything for us yet.

Didn’t realize living 40 miles down the road means you can’t bleed red. What a stupid comment....

As *** said, coaches have been ruining the in-state relationships for years. Combine that with a crap product on the field, and there’s multiple reasons not to push the kids to Lincoln.

BTW.... while all of those kids COULD turn out fantastic, none have done anything for us yet.
So thats Frost&Co fault? You sound like you have your bluejay jacket ready for the winter.

It is the player's choice/decision ultimately, but it would be nice to have the local HS coaches in NU's corner.

Agreed. It’s pretty weak minded from local coaches. The state university could use more support from the Omaha programs. It would go along way toward building a consistent winner and reminding the rest of the country that Nebraska is synonymous with football.

So thats Frost&Co fault? You sound like you have your bluejay jacket ready for the winter.

Dumb comment after dumb comment...I see a trend here. BTW, the Jays have nothing to do with Omaha HS football players bleeding Husker Red. Goes great with calling a kid a “Pre Madonna” (LOL)
for wanting to go somewhere else.

But Dickerson and Johnson leaving both certainly have at least part to do with Frost and staff. I mean, he was the head coach behind the last 2 losing seasons, no? He was responsible for how the recruitment played out, no?

Dumb comment after dumb comment...I see a trend here. BTW, the Jays have nothing to do with Omaha HS football players bleeding Husker Red. Goes great with calling a kid a “Pre Madonna” (LOL)
for wanting to go somewhere else.

But Dickerson and Johnson leaving both certainly have at least part to do with Frost and staff. I mean, he was the head coach behind the last 2 losing seasons, no? He was responsible for how the recruitment played out, no?
Never said there weren’t kids from omaha who bleed red. Just said id rather have the ones that do. Would Dickerson and Johnson have committed had we won more games last year? Who knows.

My comments are more aimed at the people pissed at Frost&Co for “letting in state talent get away” IMO kids are gonna go where they want regardless. If they really want to wear the N they will. I’ll admit i went too far with the “pre madonna” comment though. Bad judgement on my end.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back