• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Early enrollee Henry Gray. Transfers to FIU

I still think Frost is a great offensive mind (one of the top five in the country) and a really good young, up and coming head coach. IMPO he wasn't 100% ready for a gig like Nebraska (or Florida, Tennessee, Florida State - or any other job he could have left UCF for).

He's still figuring some things out, but he'll figure them out. He's the right guy for the job and I still think he'll turn the program around.

I was talking hypotheticals. I don't think Nebraska goes 5-7 this year and/or next year. I actually think the Huskers are on a 10-win trajectory for '21. But if they did go under .500 for Frost's first four seasons, that's just unacceptable. Nebraska needed to be rebuilt, but this isn't Kansas. You guys have far too many resources for it to take 5-years to be relevant in the conference. It's why I emphasized how the roster would be comprised of top 25 classes recruited by Frost for his schemes (that's being conservative, Frost is actually recruiting at a top 15-20 clip the last two years).

I don't care who the coach is, what program it is or what conference they play in - if you have a roster full of top 25 classes that were recruited by a staff and developed by that same staff and you're under .500 four-straight years, you're not the right guys for the job IMPO.

You should have been at least 6-6 the first two years already. Bad breaks and a learning curve aren't acceptable excuses in year 4.
I’m not here to make excuses; history is history we lost. But let’s put this in perspective. In the last two years there have been nine losses in close games. The average margin of loss is 4.2 points a game by a total of 38 points in those nine games. The reason we lost is well documented but my point is that we’re close (maybe one play here ..... one play there) A few of the losses where embarrassing just because it was to teams we had no business losing to but the FACT remains .... we lost. Again not making excuses but ...... we make a critical play in 3 of those games, who knows, we may be going to a bowl game the first two years. Let’s keep everything in perspective fellas. There IS hope for the future. As many have said here Frost is a young coach and learning every day. He’s made needed adjustments to his coaching staff, the players that want to play here are here,(I suspect there are a few more adjustments to be made), he has resurrected the walk-on program (the fruits of which have not even been realized yet), tweeks to the S&C program coming?, new facilities on the way. Get your shades on guys -the future looks bright. Let’s let it play out and be patient. GBR

Last edited:

I’m not here to make excuses; history is history we lost. But let’s put this in perspective. In the last two years there have been nine losses in close games. The average margin of loss is 4.2 points a game by a total of 38 points in those nine games. The reason we lost is well documented but my point is that we’re close (maybe one play here ..... one play there) A few of the losses where embarrassing just because it was to teams we had no business losing to but the FACT remains .... we lost. Again not making excuses but ...... we make a critical play in 3 of those games, who knows, we may be going to a bowl game the first two years. Let’s keep everything in perspective fellas. There IS hope for the future. As many have said here Frost is a young coach and learning every day. He’s made needed adjustments to his coaching staff, the players that want to play here are here,(I suspect there are a few more adjustments to be made), he has resurrected the walk-on program (the fruits of which have not even been realized yet), tweeks to the S&C program coming?, new facilities on the way. Get your shades on guys -the future looks bright. Let’s let it play out and be patient. GBR

I get your point but to be fair then we need to compare this to the close wins in the same time period. These could have went the other way with a play or two also.

I still think Frost is a great offensive mind (one of the top five in the country) and a really good young, up and coming head coach. IMPO he wasn't 100% ready for a gig like Nebraska (or Florida, Tennessee, Florida State - or any other job he could have left UCF for).

He's still figuring some things out, but he'll figure them out. He's the right guy for the job and I still think he'll turn the program around.

I was talking hypotheticals. I don't think Nebraska goes 5-7 this year and/or next year. I actually think the Huskers are on a 10-win trajectory for '21. But if they did go under .500 for Frost's first four seasons, that's just unacceptable. Nebraska needed to be rebuilt, but this isn't Kansas. You guys have far too many resources for it to take 5-years to be relevant in the conference. It's why I emphasized how the roster would be comprised of top 25 classes recruited by Frost for his schemes (that's being conservative, Frost is actually recruiting at a top 15-20 clip the last two years).

I don't care who the coach is, what program it is or what conference they play in - if you have a roster full of top 25 classes that were recruited by a staff and developed by that same staff and you're under .500 four-straight years, you're not the right guys for the job IMPO.

You should have been at least 6-6 the first two years already. Bad breaks and a learning curve aren't acceptable excuses in year 4.

I don't think you ever know if you are ready until you do something. Bob Stoops 1st and only gig was OU and he did OK. I don't think going 13-0 in year two at UCF did his ego any favors. He could have went 9-4 and still would have been the unanimous choice to be the next HC at Nebraska.

He has made mistakes for sure. You don't announce to the world to get us now because in 2019 we are going to be good. You don't stand at a podium and basically put down Indiana. Even if you don't mean it that way, they took it that way.

I think he thought it would be easy, I think he thought he would do the same thing as at UCF and it would work. I think he vastly underestimated his talent level and underestimated the talent and style of play in the B1G. In a word I think he has been humbled.

I think he has learned a lot over the last 2 years. I think he will say less and play things closer to the vest. A little less Chip Kelley bravado and a little more Tom Osborne stoicism. I think he will play more defense. I think he realizes that the B1G at its heart is a defensive league and a linemen's league. Nebraska has to be able to stop the run or teams will just play keep away. I think he knows he has to run the ball even if it means it may take 8 plays to score instead of 4.

I hope the lessons have been learned and they keep being learned. Nebraska needs to go bowling in the worst way this year.

I get your point but to be fair then we need to compare this to the close wins in the same time period. These could have went the other way with a play or two also.

I think that is a fair trade. I count 3 close wins in the last 2 years. MSU in 2018 and Illinois and NW in 2019. I will take the +6 change in record. :Biggrin:

You are correct sir but my point stands. In the games that were close that we won ..... We made the plays, In the ones we lost .... we didn’t That’s football .... That’s the difference sometimes. MAKING THE PLAYS THAT COUNT
it was just a general statement about how close we are.

Last edited:
I think he has learned a lot over the last 2 years. I think he will say less and play things closer to the vest. A little less Chip Kelley bravado and a little more Tom Osborne stoicism. I think he will play more defense. I think he realizes that the B1G at its heart is a defensive league and a linemen's league. Nebraska has to be able to stop the run or teams will just play keep away. I think he knows he has to run the ball even if it means it may take 8 plays to score instead of 4.

Very thought provoking on how HCSF will manage games going forward — your comments make me think about whether Scott will go ‘full pedal to the metal’ for 60 minutes or dial it back to more run based offense when he finds our team up by a couple scores.

Better kicking could nullify that 4 point difference easily. One FG and one deep punt. Changes play calling and confidence on both sides of the ball in both directions. So vital to have the best personel at those positions. Just ask Saban, it's cost him multiple NC's

The thing about Frost ... yes he was figuring things out ... you do not step into a job you've never had and expect to be perfect early on ... the difference is you can look and feel that SF will be capable and ready to succeed. More than you can say (with revisionist thinking) about his last 3 predecessors.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back