• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dan Patrick

Did anyone catch Dan Patrick today? Nebraska was the first team he mentioned while discussing teams that cheated to win titles. He stated that there was evidence that the offensive line was using steroids when they won titles. He didn't specify 70s or 90s, but it caught me off guard when the first team he related to steroids was NU.

Did anyone catch Dan Patrick today? Nebraska was the first team he mentioned while discussing teams that cheated to win titles. He stated that there was evidence that the offensive line was using steroids when they won titles. He didn't specify 70s or 90s, but it caught me off guard when the first team he related to steroids was NU.

Uh huh.

Late ‘70’s through the mid ‘90’s.

Its OK.

We had company.

A lot of it.

Uh huh.

Late ‘70’s through the mid ‘90’s.

Its OK.

We had company.

A lot of it.

I don't doubt we did it, but it was definitely a level playing field ;) I remember when they kicked Richie off the team for his outbursts. I called Unsportsmanlike Conduct and mentioned steroids, they roasted me for trying to start rumors.

Rumors they were saying n steroids but I’m sure others were doing it like baseball in the 90’s.

Here's you answer.

https://journalstar.com/sports/foot...cle_6d2be569-b662-5055-aea3-8a32943c0601.html

Had a co-worker who talked about it informally with Boyd Epley in the early 90s. Boyd said they knew where they got them and told the players to stay away from that gym. Also, we tested earlier that most and Boyd didn't like them, said they built the wrong kind of muscle mass.

So basically Patrick's full of crap.

Every team in the country, including us, has numerous guys on some type of juice and it's been that way for decades. Definitely since before the 90s.

Every team in the country, including us, has numerous guys on some type of juice and it's been that way for decades. Definitely since before the 90s.
Did you read the article? We tested beginning in mid 80s. Now there might not have been tests for some of the things they were taking but we tested for the major steroids. And, as Solich said, he was always more concerned about the pain killers.

I know we were one of the first schools to test. Doesn't matter. Everyone has guys that juice. It's been that way for a long time.

Steroids have very little to do with winning championships. It might help an individual make gains, but championship teams are usually made of people with a great plan and a ton of skill.

Never been a huge fan of Dan Patrick. He has always seemed like more of a journalist than a sports person to me.

Last edited:
Here's you answer.

https://journalstar.com/sports/foot...cle_6d2be569-b662-5055-aea3-8a32943c0601.html

Had a co-worker who talked about it informally with Boyd Epley in the early 90s. Boyd said they knew where they got them and told the players to stay away from that gym. Also, we tested earlier that most and Boyd didn't like them, said they built the wrong kind of muscle mass.

So basically Patrick's full of crap.

Nice article. I don't think you'll get anyone associated with the program to admit they or their teammates juiced while at NU, but it absolutely happened.

Nebraska, along with every other major college program from the late 70's through the mid '90's at least, had some level of steroid use regardless of what the article says. Nebraska had a lot of it for a period of time. No, you're not going to find articles with facts about it from anyone associated with the program for what should be obvious reasons. Patrick's singling out of Nebraska is just lazy because that was the prevalent belief back then, but 'Full of crap' isn't necessarily the word I would use.

In the actual article you linked, one player mentions the frequently known testing timesframes. That's really helpful to a player using. Pre season, mid season and right before the bowl. With a good idea of when you're going to test, testing negative...off cycle or between cycles..is not difficult. Now they actually test for post cycle drugs and masking agents and that wasn't always the case. A power lifting friend of mine competed and was tested for lifts from the late '80's until his retirement from the sport in '02 and he never tested positive. For long stretches of that timeframe he never went off the drugs either. Won a lot of trophies for 'Natural' powerlifting events. Yeah, it's not as cut and dried as 'We were testing'.

The comment about 'The wrong kind of muscle' has more to do with training style than steroids. Typical steroid users in most gyms are pinning for hypertrophy, not necessarily functional muscle strength. Team sport athletes can take steroids and follow their teams weight training program and just outpace and out perform their teammates.

I don't doubt we did it, but it was definitely a level playing field ;) I remember when they kicked Richie off the team for his outbursts. I called Unsportsmanlike Conduct and mentioned steroids, they roasted me for trying to start rumors.

Incognito's issues are primarily mental health related and he really never 'looked' like a juicer.

If we go back and watch some film from the 80's and 90's and compare those teams to today's teams, even a layman can see the physical difference between the athletes. It wasn't like when we first started weight training and no one else was doing it. EVERYONE had a nice, big expensive gym.

Steroids have very little to do with winning championships. It might help an individual make gains, but championship teams are usually made of people with a great plan and a ton of skill.

Never been a huge fan of Dan Patrick. He has always seemed like more of a journalist than a sports person to me.
True!

Any claims prior to 1986 are irrelevant as that is when the NCAA started testing. prior to that everyone was juicing. Post 86 TO made sure we were on the leading edge of testing. BEYOND what the NCAA required. Were there players who gamed the system? Almost certainly. That however was true of all teams and still is.

I find it funny that he chose us first when some NC level teams were caught in high profile cases for juicing. cough cough Oklahoma cough cough.
702344---cover-thumbnail-image.jpg

Incognito's issues are primarily mental health related and he really never 'looked' like a juicer.

If we go back and watch some film from the 80's and 90's and compare those teams to today's teams, even a layman can see the physical difference between the athletes. It wasn't like when we first started weight training and no one else was doing it. EVERYONE had a nice, big expensive gym.

Incognito pretty much has a bad bi-polar problem and probably some other things going on as well. He seems to have gotten it under control and was a good citizen for the Raiders last year. Helps for getting second chances when you are a freak athlete

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back