• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Pelini SI story

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know… Somebody can actually be both of the things that we all think he is not just one or the other. I don’t think anybody would argue that the guy absolutely knows how to COACH football and motivate student athletes. He was beloved by most of his players. He wasn’t fired because he couldn’t get over the hump and win a conference championship he was fired because he just wasn’t ready to be the CEO of a program like Nebraska and endure the pressure cooker that all the obligations outside of just coaching football bring. Being the head coach at Nebraska is about a lot more than just coaching a football team. You are the face and the ambassador and that’s just part of the deal. I actually moved from Nebraska to Youngstown roughly about the same time that Bo took over as head coach there. My wife works in media so I actually got to go to a mixer at Jim Tressel’s place. I talked to Jim a little bit just about my Nebraska ties especially with everything kind of coinciding with Bo at that time. I was remarking a little bit about his fiery personality and Jim said that he thought that Bo was as good a football coach as he knew and that the obligations of being the face of a big program are hard. Nothing none of us didn’t already know LOL. I absolutely think that he can be a successful head coach and really he’s probably in a perfect spot going back to LSU and serving under Ed Orgeron. Ed is the perfect case study for that long time coordinator with a salty, fiery attitude and figured out the things that you have to do to run/represent a program. He was the same guy at USC who ripped his shirt off and challenged to fight any of his players who wanted a piece of him. Before anybody wants to tell me that “winning fixes all” For the most part that is true, but Ed definitely had changed his tune before he won the national championship.
So in conclusion, yes Bo was both a really good coach and a poor ceo. I have a hard time not wanting people to get second chances. I hope Bo gets his.
When it comes down to it when you are talking about places like NU, OSU, LSU, Bama...if you bring home hardware nobody cares if you're an ahole. But if you're going to be ahole you BETTER bring home hardware.

Works the other way too. Nice guys only last so long without winning rings at those places.

Last edited:

I forgot to add to that that I thought going to Youngstown and being under the tutelage of Tressell was probably the best thing for him. I understand that Tressell had the whole tattoo gate thing but otherwise that guy understands how to be the face and deal with media etc. I figured going down to the salt and pepper league and getting a little more seasoning under JT would do him good. He was still a surly SOB there too LOL. If you can’t figure that part of it out Blisker is right there’s no shame in being a really great coordinator.

Last edited:
Also I’d like to post a picture I saved when I was there for a meet and greet that Bo was doing and I didn’t feel like any other picture could do justice to how much I assume Bo wanted to do that meet and greet:

DA7F78FF-BD7A-44B5-8988-27F3AE804954.jpeg

Last edited:

Bo was very good as a defensive coordinator -- when others had recruited top talent for him to work with.

He was also much more suited for the Big 12 than the more physical style of the Big Ten. His teams got punched in the mouth every time it counted most in Big Ten play. That, and the Big Ten is significantly better all-around now than when Bo was coaching in Lincoln.

He's likely got a good gig in Baton Rouge, once again.

Bo was very good as a defensive coordinator -- when others had recruited top talent for him to work with.

He was also much more suited for the Big 12 than the more physical style of the Big Ten. His teams got punched in the mouth every time it counted most in Big Ten play. That, and the Big Ten is significantly better all-around now than when Bo was coaching in Lincoln.

He's likely got a good gig in Baton Rouge, once again.

and he was a decent head coach when his brother was DC.. He could have been better, if we had an administration. We fired way to many coaches... Bo is one coach we should have kept around, and we should have had an AD that stood by Bo to the very end.

I liked Bo as our coach conditionally but one of my fondest memories was when he came out of the tunnel with the cat... and now he's say'n he doesn't like faux? I celebrated him at the time and thought he really connected with a lot of fans in that moment. Wasn't it the spring game? Was it the same one that little Jack ran free?

I liked Bo as our coach conditionally but one of my fondest memories was when he came out of the tunnel with the cat... and now he's say'n he doesn't like faux? I celebrated him at the time and thought he really connected with a lot of fans in that moment. Wasn't it the spring game? Was it the same one that little Jack ran free?

The cat was a stroke of genius. Riley or Frost haven't done anything that hilarious (yet).

I have to partially disagree. Everyone calls the big ten a “3 yards and cloud of dust”, but in reality I would say only Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, and Partially Michigan and PSU play that style. Everyone else runs a spread style offense.
But other than that, I agree the big 10 is better all around and I think Bo is a better DC or Big12 or ACC coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back