• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Happened...Coach changes?

Yeah, I agree. I think it's possible that it all added up to different reasons at different levels for why the change was made. There were prominent boosters who wanted FS gone, and I have no reason to believe that Pederson wasn't convinced that he could find a better coach, then plug and play. It does answer why someone above Pederson would want the change to occur.
Yep. Pedersen was in full panic mode once he got to a month without hiring someone. He basically begged Callahan to take it.

I think hindsight makes you wrong, but a lot of people were wanting that. We were so used to dominance we didn't know why we couldn't get back there.

I'll go back to Solich what I always say about Pelini, our AD needed to be the one to say "what's keeping us from getting over the hump, what do you need from me?" Not "this isn't working, fire everyone."

I guess I never felt we should get rid of Solich. I have already said in this thread that I wasn't sure about hiring him, but I wouldn't have fired him either.

I guess I always felt there would be some slipping back to the pack when TO retired. It had to happen. Heck if TO would not have retired it still would have happened. Your not going to go undefeated every year for ever. We had a great run.

The People that thought going 9-3 in 2003 10-3 with a bowl win are were crazy back then and would kill to do that right now.

I agree that BP needed better support, but he was a public embarrassment. Everyone knew who Bo Pelini was and all the temper tantrums he would throw on the sidelines. I really wasn't sad to see him go, but SE search and choice for a new coach was awful.

I guess I never felt we should get rid of Solich. I have already said in this thread that I wasn't sure about hiring him, but I wouldn't have fired him either.

I guess I always felt there would be some slipping back to the pack when TO retired. It had to happen. Heck if TO would not have retired it still would have happened. Your not going to go undefeated every year for ever. We had a great run.

The People that thought going 9-3 in 2003 10-3 with a bowl win are were crazy back then and would kill to do that right now.

I agree that BP needed better support, but he was a public embarrassment. Everyone knew who Bo Pelini was and all the temper tantrums he would throw on the sidelines. I really wasn't sad to see him go, but SE search and choice for a new coach was awful.

Exactly. It did get old watching games on TV to see them pan away from the play to watch Bo so often. Firing wasn't the total issue. It was the hire that made it so unbelievably bad. Hire a winner from the get go and people question the decision so much less.

Also, Solich lost more games in a season than TO had lost in decades.

I beg to differ. Coach Solich lost 7 games one season.

Coach Osborne's record by decade;

70's (73-79) ~ 65-18

80's (80-89) ~ 103-22

90's (90-97) ~ 87-11

I kNow we like to put Coach Osborne on a pedestal but, sometimes we make the pedestal higher than it is. :Smile:

I beg to differ. Coach Solich lost 7 games one season.

Coach Osborne's record by decade;

70's (73-79) ~ 65-18

80's (80-89) ~ 103-22

90's (90-97) ~ 87-11

I kNow we like to put Coach Osborne on a pedestal but, sometimes we make the pedestal higher than it is. :Smile:

Sorry, I meant that Solich lost more in a single season than TO had lost during any single season. It had been decades and TO had not lost that many in a single season. Not that he had lost that many cumulative in a decade.

Did not realize at the time but the hiring of Pedersen was the beginning of the end. Between he and Eichorst its hard to say who was the worst.
It’s interesting, there was a group of posters who actually DID realize how bad Pedey was from the start. I was involved in an “off the board” discussion group back in 2003 consisting of @FeelLikeAStranger , @coherbie , @huskerator 5000 , @Uncle Buck , @HaymarketHusker , @SwIsH , @HighPlainsHusker , @cm husker , @Nemesis , @GoBigfRed , not to mention a number of others who all saw it coming right away. Pedey’s first major accomplishment was putting Herbie Husker through our S&C program. ‘the hell? That was followed up shortly by the discovery that our assistants were working without a contract and had walked off the job. It all went downhill from there.

Pedey was nothing more than a carney man. It was a train wreck.

It’s interesting, there was a group of posters who actually DID realize how bad Pedey was from the start. I was involved in an “off the board” discussion group back in 2003 consisting of @FeelLikeAStranger , @coherbie , @huskerator 5000 , @Uncle Buck , @HaymarketHusker , @SwIsH , @HighPlainsHusker , @cm husker , @Nemesis , @GoBigfRed , not to mention a number of others who all saw it coming right away. Pedey’s first major accomplishment was putting Herbie Husker through our S&C program. ‘the hell? That was followed up shortly by the discovery that our assistants were working without a contract and had walked off the job. It all went downhill from there.

Pedey’s problem was that in his mind he was on a mission to “save” Husker football. More of a clown than a carney man. And reasonable coaching candidates could see that and stayed away. So Pedey “saved” the program by tossing it into the abyss....................

Was he an @$$kisser to those above him? I'm trying to figure out how else it could have been that Osborne had liked him as his recruiting coordinator and seemed to be pleased that he got the AD position. I've worked with folks who $h!t on everyone below them while kissing the @$$es of everyone above them, but it often doesn't get fully revealed until they're promoted into a position where they have a lot of folks below them. I always assumed that that was what happened with Pederson. Any truth to it?

Was he an @$$kisser to those above him? I'm trying to figure out how else it could have been that Osborne had liked him as his recruiting coordinator and seemed to be pleased that he got the AD position. I've worked with folks who $h!t on everyone below them while kissing the @$$es of everyone above them, but it often doesn't get fully revealed until they're promoted into a position where they have a lot of folks below them. I always assumed that that was what happened with Pederson. Any truth to it?
Perlman absolutely enabled him. I recall an incident back in 2004 where Pedey and Perley walked the field during fall practice, and afterwards Perlman marveled at the changes in the bodies of our strapping young men’s bodies. Ugh.

We composed a list of steps Pederson had taken that were destroying the Husker athletic program we all loved. @Uncle Buck was the keeper of the list (I wonder if he still has it?). @Husker Country Doc started a thread on Huskerpedia, “The Case for Firing Steve Pederson” and included that list in his thread. The Callafans accused us of hating Pedey for the sole reason that he fired Solich (similar to the accusations that those who didn’t like Eichorst were merely “butt hurt” about Pelini).

Those were some wild times.

I Have been an NU fan since I knew what football was and could understand the game- since about '70. The stability enjoyed was amazing although the late 70's and late 80's people wanted TO gone.

The change seemed to happen when Pearlman was hired and wanted to deemphasize football and increase academic standing for the university.

Rumor has it the previous AD did not like the vision and restrictions being presented to him and left. A few years prior several boosters and powerful people reportedly had been suggesting assistant coaching changes but FS refused. Also, many people in power were unhappy with his underwhelming recruiting and FS did nothing about it. Like others have stated there has been rumors of poor behavior but I will not repeat any as they have not been substantiated.

I believe Pearlman did not like FS and hired Pedy for the sole purpose of firing him. FS would have been fired a year earlier 7-7 season- but a few boosters and TO were able stave this off.

I did not like Pedy from the start as he appeared narcissistic- everything was about him and the athletic program was an extension of him rather than the university...a Messianic figure in his mind. He reportedly had an NFL coach all lined up to take the job but backed out shortly after letting FS go.

Callahan was a horrible hire on every level and was not supportive of it but was willing to give him a chance. After the 3rd year it was evident this would not work. Pellini was exciting in the beginning but his temper tantrums, irritability, treatment of others on the field and off was troubling and at times embarrassing. Hiring MR was a head scratcher. His personality was a lot like TO but other than that....nothing. As far as treatment of players and X's and O's he was good. Gameplanning, S&C, motivation, preparation, practice structure, etc...poor. His hands were tied by a micro managing AD in some areas.

I was and still am a believer in Solich but he did not make the changes necessary to save his job is recruiting and assistant changes- too late. My best friend and I have argued this for years, about whether he should have been fired.

I believe SF is the right coach and the assistant changes- will bear fruit sooner than later.

What happened? Harvey Perlman is what happened. The Chancellor decided Frank Solich wasn't his man. He hired Steve Pederson as A.D. for the express purpose of firing Solich. Nearly all of the Nebraska football demise can be laid at the feet of Perlman.

He also hired Eichorst specifically to neuter Osborne and fire Pelini after the 2011 A&M game.

Rinse/repeat

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back