• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Post your B1G West prediction

Impossible to imagine what type of team NU will have come September. After last year, I don’t even care where they finish in the West. It’s really a crap shoot. Just start winning some ballgames and the rest will take care of itself. Main thing for me this year is seeing a sound, prepared football team. Do those things and things in the West will sort itself out.

We'll finish 5th. Nothing suggests to me that we're good. I'll wait and be pleasantly surprised if we get a bowl game.

Without having yet spent a lot of time examining schedules, looking at rosters, etc., my initial response is to agree with @NUinID that Wisconsin will "fall" back a bit to 9-3 or 8-4 (though I put a ton more weight on the loss of Biadasz) ... but then I still find them winning the B1G West with that record. I think that Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa will all take a slight step back from last year, and I think that everybody else takes a step forward. Because they have the most room to bounce up, I'd say Northwestern and Purdue could make a significant jump in the West this year, but for Purdue that is only if both Moore and Bell are back and fully healthy all year. I predict that this entire year of B1G West football will serve as a future example in college statistics classes for the concept of "Regression toward the mean."

Also, fwiw, Ohio State wins the B1G East again. Penn State will seem like a legitimate contender ... and then they'll play Ohio State at home and get beat by more than 2 TDs.

Nebraska 6th out of 7? Ouch. Gotta throw at least a little homer-ism in there ;)

Past performance is not a perfect indicator of future success; but, it certainly doesn't inspire optimism in this case. I think assuming we'll beat NW is about the only divisional win I can justify in my mind. Hoping I'm wrong.

Wisconsin and a little six
I've been predicting the downfall of Wisconsin for quite some time ... failed in that prediction but I think 2020 will see more slippage by the Badgers.

The Badgers play Notre Dame in non-conference with @Maryland, Indiana and @Michigan in cross-overs. Minnesota and Nebraska at home with closing the season at Iowa. Moderate to easy schedule.

Their o-line will be OK ... they lose 3 starters including Biadasz and one other backup but played a lot of guys - most of them young.
They lose Jonathan Taylor but return a decent amount of talent including a high profile recruit.
Coan is a 2-year returning starter at QB with heralded Mertz as a backup.

Where I think they're vulnerable is on defense .. they lose LBs Baun and Orr ... two All-B1G players plus 4 others from their 2-deep. I just do not see how they can replace those two talented LBs. As we've seen their LB play has been outstanding for almost a decade but in the past you saw where the next guy was coming from - I just don't see that.

Last edited:
I've been predicting the downfall of Wisconsin for quite some time ... failed in that prediction but I think 2020 will see more slippage by the Badgers.

The Badgers play Notre Dame in non-conference with @Maryland, Indiana and @Michigan in non-conference. Minnesota and Nebraska at home with closing the season at Iowa. Moderate to easy schedule.

Their o-line will be OK ... they lose 3 starters including Biadasz and one other backup but played a lot of guys - most of them young.
They lose Jonathan Taylor but return a decent amount of talent including a high profile recruit.
Coan is a 2-year returning starter at QB with heralded Mertz as a backup.

Where I think they're vulnerable is on defense .. they lose LBs Baun and Orr ... two All-B1G players plus 4 others from their 2-deep. I just do not see how they can replace those two talented LBs. As we've seen their LB play has been outstanding for almost a decade but in the past you saw where the next guy was coming from - I just don't see that.
I hope you're right

The Badgers play Notre Dame in non-conference with @Maryland, Indiana and @Michigan in non-conference. Minnesota and Nebraska at home with closing the season at Iowa. Moderate to easy schedule.

It is about time the Big Ten booted Maryland, Indiana and Michigan out of the conference.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back