• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Looks like the 2023 Season Opener against Minnesota is set for Thursday Night Kickoff...

Have to agree don't like opening on Thursday or Friday to me those early games like that are days for the High school games give them their due. Really dont like opening with conference games either. I get it other places may have traditions like opening with a conference opponent on a Thursday but why do we have to partake. Is this something the AD can fix or uncluster

Roy Helu vs. Missouri was shortly after I believe, but your point is still valid. Not many games like that against decent opponents since.
Helu ran all over Missouri, but I think we only won that game by about 14 points. Mizzou made it interesting for a while.

Helu ran all over Missouri, but I think we only won that game by about 14 points. Mizzou made it interesting for a while.
The final was 31-17. It was 24-0 after the first, 24-7 at half, and 24-14 midway through the third. Helu scored his shortest TD run of 53 yards a mere :52 seconds after Missouri closed within 10 to make it 31-14. Missouri's FG came with 1:35 left in the third.

The final was 31-17. It was 24-0 after the first, 24-7 at half, and 24-14 midway through the third. Helu scored his shortest TD run of 53 yards a mere :52 seconds after Missouri closed within 10 to make it 31-14. Missouri's FG came with 1:35 left in the third.
Classic example of the final score not showing the true butt whooping a team took. Helu ran through them like a hot knife through butter.

Still not a fan of opening with a conference game. Great if you win, but you begin the season in a big hole if you lose.
Honestly, it doesn't matter* if we lose the first conference game in September versus the first conference game in October if we lose. Either way, we've lost the first con game. I like the Thursday night kick off though personally. We should hopefully be better than the YMCA club and come away with a victory this night in question.

*maybe it does matter if we lose that early, as it will allow us to get our stuff together for the rest of con play or after we win, it allows us to just roll through the rest of the schedule.

I think that the early conference game can have a lot of ramifications, so it's best for the staff to ALWAYS focus on it being just one game. It wasn't a conference game, but it was a similar situation last fall. I think that Nebraska fully expected to go into Boulder last year and stomp Colorado into a pile of buffalo goo in the middle of the stadium, and for the first half of that game, that's what they were doing. Everything that happened after that changed their perceptions of themselves as individuals, as a team, as a program, and it destroyed a lot of what they had expected out of that season. Looking back with hindsight, it's obvious that we put way too much emphasis on that game. We have no way of knowing how it affected the games and the season that followed, but that game hurt us in so many ways.

Last edited:
Already have got the ok from the wife to make arrangements for the family to attend. should be gorgeous weather as opposed to when we typical play them up there.

I think that the early conference game can have a lot of ramifications, so it's best for the staff to ALWAYS focus on it being just one game. It wasn't a conference game, but it was a similar situation last fall. I think that Nebraska fully expected to go into Boulder last year and stomp Colorado into a pile of buffalo goo in the middle of the stadium, and for the first half of that game, that's what they were doing. Everything that happened after that changed their perceptions of themselves as individuals, as a team, as a program, and it destroyed a lot of what they had expected out of that season. Looking back with hindsight, it's obvious that we put way too much emphasis on that game. We have no way of knowing how it affected the games and the season that followed, but that game hurt us in so many ways.
This is the B1G. Big boy pants are needed. Not excuses.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back