• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos Frazier Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coherent, balanced reply. What a nice change. Totally agree that Burrow feels a bit of spite on how he was treated. The whole thing boils down to promises made during recruiting. Something along the lines of telling AM, ‘you are my class qb and we won’t recruit anyone else’. To me that’s shortsighted. Frost tells us he doesn’t have enough talent, but he passed on a true stud qb. No doubt in my mind that NU wins against CU, Purdue, Indiana and Iowa with Burrow at the helm. Does anyone that watched the young man compete think he would have run out of bounds when NU was playing for OT against Iowa?

Yet another negative claim made by you without any evidence whatsoever. How cute. Maybe if they did get Burrow, they don't get McCaffery and/or Smothers. At which point, you'd complain about Frost's QB recruiting.

A coherent, balanced reply. What a nice change. Totally agree that Burrow feels a bit of spite on how he was treated. The whole thing boils down to promises made during recruiting. Something along the lines of telling AM, ‘you are my class qb and we won’t recruit anyone else’. To me that’s shortsighted. Frost tells us he doesn’t have enough talent, but he passed on a true stud qb. No doubt in my mind that NU wins against CU, Purdue, Indiana and Iowa with Burrow at the helm. Does anyone that watched the young man compete think he would have run out of bounds when NU was playing for OT against Iowa?

Coherent and balanced?

This from the guy who puts #lessrapists in their posts? You only have a handful left here who’re fooled.

On the subject of your latest spin, others are 100% right when they say had Frost brought Burrow in and won 6, 7 or 8 games this year and last (no championships, no Heisman, no first round draft pick because we’re not LSU yet) but lost out on recruiting battles for McCaffrey and Smothers, we’d be hearing how short sighted he was and how odd it is that a former QB who’s supposed to be a QB guy can’t recruit quarterbacks.

Just....keep....moving the goal posts.

Missing out on Burrow is on Pelini and Tim Beck.

When Burrow was grad transferring from tOSU its unclear if he is/would have been interested in NU. Additionally SF likely had to promise AM he wouldn't recruit any other QBs in that recruiting cycle if he came to NU ... I suspect SF was keeping his word.

Does anyone that watched the young man compete think he would have run out of bounds when NU was playing for OT against Iowa?
Not defending the run out of bounds but I do think up and until that point NU was trying to score and thus were in a mentality of preserving time as opposed to not letting it run out and wait for OT.

No doubt given the down and distance sliding or at least staying in bounds would have been the preferred move but I suspect this is more on the coaching staff and the clock management strategy than it is on AM. Something along the lines of ... if we do not get a 1st down on this play ... we are going to punt therefore do not stop the clock. Should AM have known this? Probably but so should have the coaching staff.

Missing out on Burrow is on Pelini and Tim Beck.

When Burrow was grad transferring from tOSU its unclear if he is/would have been interested in NU. Additionally SF likely had to promise AM he wouldn't recruit any other QBs in that recruiting cycle if he came to NU ... I suspect SF was keeping his word.
That’s the conundrum on ‘making promises’. You put all your eggs in one basket. Is that the right strategy for a rebuilding team? Didn’t turn out so well for NU. Maybe when they are more established and are 1 or 2 players away. How can anyone for 1 minute forget that SF needs more talent? Moos reminded us too.

Last edited:
That’s the conundrum on ‘making promises’. You put all your eggs in one basket. Is that the right strategy for a rebuilding team? Didn’t turn out so well for NU. Maybe when they are more established and are 1 or 2 players away. How can anyone for 1 minute forget that SF needs more talent? Mood reminded us too.
Recruiting is an art not a science especially at QB.
Kids want to play, they want to play immediately and they will move if they do not feel like they are getting their shot.

Nick Saban and Ryan Day can sit in their offices and tell potential recruits that the best player gets the starting job but even they have kids leaving for better opportunities.

I don't have a hard time with SF telling AM he won't bring on any more scholarship kids in this recruiting cycle. Its likely what he had to do to get AM. Would we have won more games this year if JB was at the helm ... maybe. Not likely not more than a couple. As gifted a QB as JB is ... he's blessed by wonderful players surrounding him.

I wish Joe Burrows the best.

imo....He is with the team he should be with.

At LSU he has an O line, RB's AND most importantly actual receivers to throw to.

His productivity here would be nothing as to what he is achieving in Baton Rouge.

For his own sake (physically).....it was good fortune not coming here.

Recruiting is an art not a science especially at QB.
Kids want to play, they want to play immediately and they will move if they do not feel like they are getting their shot.

Nick Saban and Ryan Day can sit in their offices and tell potential recruits that the best player gets the starting job but even they have kids leaving for better opportunities.

I don't have a hard time with SF telling AM he won't bring on any more scholarship kids in this recruiting cycle. Its likely what he had to do to get AM. Would we have won more games this year if JB was at the helm ... maybe. Not likely not more than a couple. As gifted a QB as JB is ... he's blessed by wonderful players surrounding him.

I don't fault Frost at all for not bringing in Burrow. Martinez was coming off a stellar freshman year, and JB was an unknown quantity at the time.

I do think the messaging has been inconsistent and likely detrimental to the lockerroom. I've mentioned more than once that Frost repeatedly saying "we need better players" isn't doing him any favors.

That opinion is consistently met with the argument that the players know damn well recruits are coming to take their job. Fine. Why doesn't that apply to AM? Why do we have to "block better and catch better" and "get better around him" but he doesn't have to throw better or make better decisions? Is he that fragile mentally that Frost can't say he's got work to do or that there is always competition at every position?

Last edited:

That opinion is consistently met with the argument that the players know damn well recruits are coming to take their job. Fine. Why doesn't that apply to AM? Why do we have to "block better and catch better" and "get better around him" but he doesn't have to throw better or make better decisions? Is he that fragile mentally that Frost can't say he's got work to do or that there is always competition at every position?
It might be that most of the questions he is answering are about Martinez having flaws. I think he has said Martinez needs to play better, but he is pointing out that it's not just on the quarterback... despite fans and writers focusing on that one position.

He has to defend Martinez because he is the one being criticized most frequently.

As we've come to understand with the Burrow recruiting situation, there are more detailed specifics than simply 'we denied a Heisman candidate who wanted to be here". The specifics are more nuanced than that. According to some (SO) Riley tried his hardest to make a late push. At the time of Burrow's transfer Frost had 'his guy' who was a Freshman All-American. Knowing that, why take a risk on a new player and potentially disrupt the established QB room? Is it a guarantee that Burrow would have performed the same in Frost's offense as he did at LSU? Some have the absolute belief he would, but that doesn't mean he actually would have. There also is the possibility that Burrow feels a bit of spite based on how things unfolded at NU. Congrats for the young man on his achievements and his likely Heisman victory and 1st round draft status. I wish nothing but the best for him.

Not that it matters but AM was just a true freshman who had not played a down for NU yet when Burrows transferred. AM was not a Freshman All-American yet.

C

I don't fault Frost at all for not bringing in Burrow. Martinez was coming off a stellar freshman year, and JB was an unknown quantity at the time.

I do think the messaging has been inconsistent and likely detrimental to the lockerroom. I've mentioned more than once that Frost repeatedly saying "we need better players" isn't doing him any favors.

Scott Frost followed arguably the greatest QB in Husker history. His first year in '96 near the dawning of internet message boards and social media had a lot of unnecessary unfavorable media attention to a QB that went in his first season 11-2, finished 6th in the nation and had the team a Texas fake punt away from playing for its 3rd consecutive national championship.

I think that memory weighs with him quite a bit when it comes to QB decisions.

He's also coached some very capable QBs over his tenure so I believe he knows what he's doing.

I also believe coaching QBs takes a different kind of handling than practically any other position on the team. They're too important to a teams success and they know it ... which requires handling them with kid gloves. I also believe a healthy, mentally set AM is our teams best QB at this time even with LM's potential.

I too wish he would've played Vedral and/or LM more ... we might've won a game or two that we lost.

Scott Frost followed arguably the greatest QB in Husker history. His first year in '96 near the dawning of internet message boards and social media had a lot of unnecessary unfavorable media attention to a QB that went in his first season 11-2, finished 6th in the nation and had the team a Texas fake punt away from playing for its 3rd consecutive national championship.

I think that memory weighs with him quite a bit when it comes to QB decisions.

He's also coached some very capable QBs over his tenure so I believe he knows what he's doing.

I also believe coaching QBs takes a different kind of handling than practically any other position on the team. They're too important to a teams success and they know it ... which requires handling them with kid gloves. I also believe a healthy, mentally set AM is our teams best QB at this time even with LM's potential.

I too wish he would've played Vedral and/or LM more ... we might've won a game or two that we lost.
Vedral or LM win an extra game or two and Burrow only wins 2 games tops? Burrow is the best QB in the country this year for gawd sakes. Not just best in the NU locker room or the B1G. The whole stinking country. He’s phenomenal.

Last edited:

Vedral or LM win an extra game or two and Burrow only wins 2 games tops? Burrow is the best QB in the country this year for gawd sakes. Not just best in the NU locker room or the B1G. The whole stinking country. He’s phenomenal.
He's the best QB in the nation because he's got better personnel around him.

He has 3 1st team All-SEC players including his starting center, a receiver and his RB. Additionally he has 2 second team players - both being offensive linemen. That is 3 of his 5 O-Linemen are first or second team All-SEC. How many NU linemen received any kind of All-B1G recognition?

Put those 5 players on NU's team and I suspect we have 3 or 4 more victories with whomever is QB.

Joe Burrow is good - he's Heisman Trophy good ... he would've made NU better this year but they don't win the B1G West with him in lieu of anyone else.

JB began the season as an after-thought for the Heisman, for the NFL draft for NC contender. Let's not make him the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning either. He alone would not have cured all that ailed NU this past season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back