• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Head Coach

I'm new so bear with me or as one of my coaches used to say, "Bear down out there!" (lamenting my fooling around with hitters when I could dispatch them with three pitches, etc.)

I certainly appreciate the effort that goes into the extraordinary insight from a lot of you. The humor as well. The rancor is frustrating but understandable. The moderators do a great job.

I wasn't going to join this board - no need - but one thing is bothering me so I did. ( Well, actually there are many...but that's for another time...) I'm not looking for agreement just going to get this off my chest because I've been disappointed in Frost's pressers.

1. Shave the day of the game. You look like a hobo from the sidewalks of San Francisco. YOU ARE THE FACE OF THE PROGRAM. Show some respect.....and no, I'm not an old fogey. And you are no longer a player, Frost.

2. If you're still chewing or dipping, drop it - now. How does that set a respectable standard for your players? Don't smoke, boys - no weed....yeah, I dip but that's different. Double standard much? How'd that work out for Tony Gwynn? ( I don't give a rat's --- what you do in private. You are a public figure.)

3. You're 'Belichickian' monotone obfuscation is not worthy of your position. Engage the public - they are behind you. ( I realize pressers are not favorite parts of being the Head Coach etc. but it comes with the territory so use them as an asset. Particularly for Nebraskans.)

Frankly, none of the above are priorities nor do they really matter in the larger scheme of things but they are pet peeves of mine. By reference, the last thing I am is an old fart stuck in his ways even though this post might sound like it. Winning does cure a lot of things and so far the performance of this team has been objectionable - so objectionable I didn't watch the Wisconsin game. That says something in and of itself. I'm a lifelong Nebraska fan. My parents and all our relatives are Nebraskans going back several generations. We left because Dad was a career military (Air Force) guy. I was born in Columbus. They were from Gordon and Merna.

Now to the real purpose of this post.

I've heard it two games in a row: "I'll have to watch the tape because I was a too busy talking with my offensive staff to set up our next offensive sequence of plays." This was in reference to questions about the defense.

A lot of you will disagree with this because there are countless examples of coaches like Frost that concentrate on one side of the ball. I get that. I understand that. I've got no real problem with it. However, if I am playing for you as my Head Coach on the defensive side of the ball and you don't have a clue about the defense dynamics that are occurring in the game and not collaborating with the defensive coordinator ( whether it's Chinander or not ) except for "when to take time outs" we've got a major disconnect. You and me. I want your attention, dude. I'm playing for you. Carry on with the offensive staff but pay attention. You might have something to offer. After all, YOU ARE the HEAD Coach. You are MY Head Coach. The DC works for you.

Besides, when he says his offense does this or that but the defense only did this or that and they score enough to win and the defense didn't hold enough to win, how the ---- does that sound? Hey, I got the offense churning but the defensive didn't stop their churn....I don't like this. Know enough about your defense, Head Coach, or go be a $5M
a year OC somewhere. Nit-picking, I know, but it's a pet-peeve.

OK, that's it. Meaningless for most of you but my chest has been set free. ( Yes, I am an ex-D1 athlete fortunate enough to have played for Hall of Fame coaches in a couple of sports. Football was not one of them after HS. I broke my wrist the first play of one season (QB) and broke my ankle the first play of another season (kickoff return). Football gods were apparently pissed. I still have an indentation in my forehead from my days as a cornerback, tho. So, I guess I have a little street cred in football - certainly not like a lot of you.

Thanks - don't be too hard on me. I promise to do cartwheels down the middle of the highway when NU boys start playing football and taking names.

Thanks.. I'm sure Scott's players are really worried about him having some snuce.

Hopefully, the answer is that we want to be patient and let SF recruit, develop, and coach us out of this mess.
i think that majority of husker nation is on board with that.

the thing lots of people are having issue with is that he hasn't quite started doing all that yet, despite the talk and rhetoric.

i think that majority of husker nation is on board with that.

the thing lots of people are having issue with is that he hasn't quite started doing all that yet, despite the talk and rhetoric.

Of course he has started doing those things. It just hasn't panned out as quickly as fans or the coach himself would like.

But let's try to have some connection with reality. He's had one recruiting class. The first one was mostly Riley's guys. That doesn't make the first class inherently bad. It just means those recruits might not be what Frost would have targeted had he had a full recruiting cycle. In any event, a large chunk of them are not even with the program anymore.

It's easy to fall into the "all is lost" mindset. Nebraska fans are not used to having to build their program. We have had the luxury of taking 9-10 wins for granted for decades and calling it failure. Now we are being shown what real failure looks like. Its going to be a lot easier for SF to dig the program out of this hole if he has support.

The administration has raised the ante, betting that SF knows how to get it done. Only the future will tell whether it will work out the way we want. But in the short and medium term, SF is going nowhere. Its in everyone's best interest that fans support the players, the coach, and the staff while they work through these hard times.

If ZZ Top is correct, the girls don't go crazy for this guy but he wins a lot.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F190909121944-bill-belichick-nfl-new-england-patriots-opener-2019.jpg
Ten years in the future. Retired. And Belichick's lost the weight ....

c702de0c2358976ffb3f491978d94bc0.png

Of course he has started doing those things. It just hasn't panned out as quickly as fans or the coach himself would like.

But let's try to have some connection with reality. He's had one recruiting class. The first one was mostly Riley's guys. That doesn't make the first class inherently bad. It just means those recruits might not be what Frost would have targeted had he had a full recruiting cycle. In any event, a large chunk of them are not even with the program anymore.

It's easy to fall into the "all is lost" mindset. Nebraska fans are not used to having to build their program. We have had the luxury of taking 9-10 wins for granted for decades and calling it failure. Now we are being shown what real failure looks like. Its going to be a lot easier for SF to dig the program out of this hole if he has support.

The administration has raised the ante, betting that SF knows how to get it done. Only the future will tell whether it will work out the way we want. But in the short and medium term, SF is going nowhere. Its in everyone's best interest that fans support the players, the coach, and the staff while they work through these hard times.

you say that, but as has been discussed multiple times, there are many coaches around the nation that walked into bad/similar situations who are doing better than nebraska and scott frost. in any case, saying he's had only one recruiting class is disingenuous. it's been a bust at many positions as far as recruiting goes. either that, or the players he gets are being underdeveloped, underutilized, or just getting run out of town. possibly the best recruited and coached position can't lay hold on consistent playing time because SF would rather use a wide receiver doing double duty at their position, and we're wondering why he's injured. i could go on and on here. anyone wanting to debate this can open another thread, and we can have at it.

all is not lost. but at some point, SF has to be able to recognize that there are certain decisions, actions, and mindsets that are completely within his control, and that have absolutely nothing to do with previous staffs, talent level, youth, or any of the other excuses being thrown around.

he may have been successful, but that doesn't mean he's doing everything to be as good as this team can possibly be right now. he may say he is, but the results and gameplay on saturday show otherwise. there are certain things you have to be intentional about. programs are built with intentional actions on gameday and during the week, not just words.

you say that, but as has been discussed multiple times, there are many coaches around the nation that walked into bad/similar situations who are doing better than nebraska and scott frost. in any case, saying he's had only one recruiting class is disingenuous. it's been a bust at many positions as far as recruiting goes. either that, or the players he gets are being underdeveloped, underutilized, or just getting run out of town. possibly the best recruited and coached position can't lay hold on consistent playing time because SF would rather use a wide receiver doing double duty at their position, and we're wondering why he's injured. i could go on and on here. anyone wanting to debate this can open another thread, and we can have at it.

all is not lost. but at some point, SF has to be able to recognize that there are certain decisions, actions, and mindsets that are completely within his control, and that have absolutely nothing to do with previous staffs, talent level, youth, or any of the other excuses being thrown around.

he may have been successful, but that doesn't mean he's doing everything to be as good as this team can possibly be right now. he may say he is, but the results and gameplay on saturday show otherwise. there are certain things you have to be intentional about. programs are built with intentional actions on gameday and during the week, not just words.

Given your bold assertions, I assume you have close access to the program on a daily basis and that you have expertise in the area of D1 coaching. Given that access, and your expertise in this area, what is SF not doing that you think he should be doing? Which players is he not playing that are clearly ready, capable, and deserving of playing time? Have you spoken to Frost or at least Moos about your observations?

If my assumption is NOT correct, and you don't have close access to the program or even expertise on the subject of coaching D1 football programs, how do you know that he isn't working on the very things you are claiming he isn't? Why do you assume the best players are not being allowed to see the field?

Captkenny gits it. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner is a whole other story. Just shhhhhhh.
Or he's applying Occam's razor to keep the argument simple and focused. winnerwinner actually makes the fewer assumptions than competing theorists, many that are basically program apologists. CaptKenny has a pretty complicated set of cascading assumptions that are less likely to fit an explanation.

Last edited:

Or he's applying Occam's razor to keep the argument simple and focused. winnerwinner actually makes the fewer assumptions than competing theorists, many that are basically program apologists. CaptKenny has a pretty complicated set of cascading assumptions that are less likely to fit an explanation.
Simplification and minimization of assumptions are brilliant when and only when you can get to the right answer through their employment. Using them and getting to the wrong answer is something totally different. A term many use for such misguidance is a called "myopia." That's in the google machine too but before the "O's." Just go back a couple letters, you are almost there.

Simplification and minimization of assumptions are brilliant when and only when you can get to the right answer through their employment. Using them and getting to the wrong answer is something totally different. A term many use for such misguidance is a called "myopia." That's in the google machine too but before the "O's." Just go back a couple letters, you are almost there.

Absolutely nailed it.

You win the internet.

You have restored order in the universe. Thank you.

Last edited:

@1960Husker
You are assuming and that makes a few things, none of which is an assertiveness of the correctness. Rejecting Occam's Razor is cute and all, but you're not arguing against winnerwinner in any manner other than for your opinion.

Isn't that cute, too, who likes your post? The band is back together.

@1960Husker
You are assuming and that makes a few things, none of which is an assertiveness of the correctness. Rejecting Occam's Razor is cute and all, but you're not arguing against winnerwinner in any manner other than for your opinion.

Isn't that cute, too, who likes your post? The band is back together.

Is it really this difficult for you to accept that people disagree with much of what you say and that there is a very real possibility that you are wrong?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back