• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2 year extension for Frost

5 years left is a long time. I’m thinking they all feel verrrrry solid he is going to get this going. I still think he will, but it damn sure isn’t happening as fast as I’d like it.
I think Frost is going to have to make some adjustments to his plan after this ugly season. He needs better assistants in several spots and needs to hit the junior college circuit hard if he wants to see success any time soon. I am having a hard time seeing any progress thus far.

Recruiting is becoming a major concern. This years class is starting to feel desperate.
Agree 100%... this season has been a disaster in many ways. It’s hard to bring in great players when you haven’t won anything in 20 years. We had momentum in the preseason... that’s all but gone now.

I wonder if there are wholesale changes coming like a different style of defense and Moos knows it could set us back a couple more years

It has to be recruiting, right? Which scares me.
Was reading for soneone to post this and then stopped. I think it's quite clearly for recruiting. The record this year have obviously put his tenure in doubt. And I don't follow recruiting closely but it looks too be tough sledding at the moment, so why not do this?

I don't mind it because as I've already said on here I think Nebraska will find it extremely difficult to find or at least keep a quality coach to replace him anytime soon. So whether he's good ir not, may as well double down on Frost on the chance it will help him recruit. If and when we have to replace him it will be with a coach matching the quality of an average of Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. Nebraska's ability in that respect is known.

Last edited:
Anyone looking at this roster for next year, no matter who the coach is, and looks at the schedule and depth issues, S&C that still needs more time to build 2018-19 recruits and players...and thinks the 2020 Huskers will be much better than 5 to 6 wins At Most, is dreaming. This looks better MAYBE in 2021 or 2022. Hence, some fans just aren’t looking realistically at the roster and the depth needed to contend. It is going to take awhile, hence the extra few years added to SFs contract

You may be as patient as anyone could be, and that's fine. You aren't alone.

That said, if we fall short of a bowl game next season (which would likely mean Frost would have 4 losing seasons in his 5 seasons of coaching), year four at NU will be make or break. Not everyone is going to be as patient as you hope. Especially if empty seats become more commonplace.

Personally, I don't feel five wins in season three should be acceptable. I'm not alone in this thought. There are plenty of coaches who become successful much more quickly -- with plenty of issues in the program they inherit -- than the idea of a non-winning season in year three -- and, a "MAYBE" in four and five, as you suggest. Coaches that need that long tend to find themselves looking for a new school to continue their coaching career.

Last edited:
When an AD comes out and says, about a struggling team, "I'm behind the coach 100%," that's pretty much a death knell for the coach's career at that school. If the team continues to struggle, and they almost always do, and the AD isn't fired by the end of the year, he fires his coach. It's a matter of self-preservation. Everybody learned this, so contract extensions became the new vogue in a vote of confidence for the coach. Recruits had to be assured that the personal relationship they've established with the coaching staff (part of the problem, IMO) won't be shattered by the coach getting fired. Largely because colleges are now flush with TV revenue, it's become more financially feasible to fire coaches early in their contract (and mid-season no less!) This will, if it hasn't already, weaken any message sent to recruits by extending a coach's contract.

I really like @ShortSideOption's idea of a 5 year rolling contract. I would add that with incentives there are also penalties--essentially paying the coach by evaluating the team on an annual basis. This may be an over-simplification but say you get a base salary of somthing like $1M, and $500K for each win. You go 4-8 you still get $3M and a 1 year contract extension.

Anyway, my real point is that I think most recruits (or their "advisers") are savvy enough to know when a contract extension is for "messaging" and when it's for "winning."

I don't mind it because as I've already said on here I think Nebraska will find it extremely difficult to find or at least keep a quality coach to replace him anytime soon. So whether he's good ir not, may as well double down on Frost on the chance it will help him recruit. If and when we have to replace him it will be with a coach matching the quality of an average of Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. Nebraska's ability in that respect is known.

I've already said this, but what the heck, I will again. I don't buy this.

I don't buy the idea that you need to invest even more heavily in Frost due to fear of failure from a future unknown hire.

I absolutely believe Nebraska is capable of hiring a coach along the lines of PJ Fleck, Chris Klieman, or Matt Rhule. There are always coaches like this out there waiting for a leap from a lesser program. Successful coaches. Yes, there's also the chance we land another dud. But you can't allow fear of the unknown to dictate the present. That said, it would all be easier if Frost simply succeeds and this discussion and worry dies.

You may be as patient as anyone could be, and that's fine. You aren't alone.

That said, if we fall short of a bowl game next season (which would likely mean Frost would have 4 losing seasons in his 5 seasons of coaching), year four at NU will be make or break. Not everyone is going to be as patient as you hope. Especially if empty seats become more commonplace.

Personally, I don't feel five wins in season three should be acceptable. I'm not alone in this thought. There are plenty of coaches who become successful much more quickly -- with plenty of issues in the program they inherit -- than the idea of a non-winning season in year three -- and, a "MAYBE" in four and five, as you suggest. Coaches that need that long tend to find themselves looking for a new school to continue their coaching career.
There is a lot to be concerned about with the program right now. I'm rooting for Scott but I just wonder if Nebraska's best days are behind it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back