• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2 year extension for Frost

I don't necessary agree with how these extensions work as they have only hurt Nebraska; however, I understand why they did the buyout before Wisconsin because if it is bad now on the recruiting trail then what happens if we get boat rolled by Wisconsin.

Practically, I'm not sure how this actually works because with transfer portal most players aren't stuck in bad situations anymore and we are kidding ourselves if recruits think the term of any contract is going to matter if we lay eggs next year. Rival coaches are still going to tell recruits that Nebraska's time has faded and we are 'wanna be' school now with high dollar boosters who will pay whatever is necessary to unload a losing coach.

Why don't we just give coaches a lifetime contract and structure the buyout on five years of salary times winning percentage for the last 5 years?

Frost is the man for the job. But I’m a little concerned that a lot of fans are ok with a 10 million dollar 2 year extension because “that’s what’s needed to help recruit” or “to send a message to the media” when we are 4-5 coming off a 4-8 season. Also concerns me that our on the field performance put us in this situation.
I'm afraid buy-out clause ..... again.

GoFundHusker.com ...... raised 5 x $5,000,000 goal ;)

Were we going to be a revolving door if they didn’t give the extension? He still had 5+ years left.

Not being combative, just asking your opinion.

Possibly. I don’t know if it was absolutely necessary, but I do know that we end the season with a team that will likely continue to struggle next year as well unless some holes are filled with JUCO or players stepping up in a big way.

This move would seem to be aimed at two audiences, fans who had unreasonable expectations and recruits who may be reading boards such as Huskermax and wondering whether SF still has fan support.

This program needs stability. Fans generally want to destabilize the program in tough times. This move adds some cement to the foundation.

But SF needs to do his part and start feeding people’s hunger for hope.

Were we going to be a revolving door if they didn’t give the extension? He still had 5+ years left.

Not being combative, just asking your opinion.

In the modern sports world, you've got to keep signing extensions to signal to everyone (notably recruits) that your coach isn't going anywhere. Remember when we didn't sign an extension for Tim Miles, and everyone started speculating that he was on thin ice? That's because he was.

What this says to potential recruits is, if you like what this coach is doing, feel free to sign up with the confidence that he'll be around for the long haul.

Those looking at the short-term results on the field will likely grumble about this, but if we're going to turn this thing around (eventually) we absolutely had to do this.

Last edited:
Too soon, IMO. Probably should have waited until after/during the 2020 season. 4-8, 4-5.

He still had 5+ years on his first contract, so I don’t think it’s realistic that this was needed to convince recruits he would be here.

Yeah, it’s unrealistic to think that NU would change a coaching staff that still had time left on their contract.

The extension is a message to the recruits, as extensions always are, that despite early troubles, despite what you may hear from other schools, Scott is not in trouble at DONU.

GBR

I highly doubt any of the current recruits were seriously weighing Frost's job status into their decision. Not 1.75 years into 7. Sure, there's social media banter that could suggest he's done within a year. Heck, the vast majority of schools have this. Alabama and Saban has this. Harbaugh at Michigan has this. It's today's world. So if recruits are taking social media rumors and overreactions into account, they may as well not play football in college.

This is Moos doubling down--trying to calm some waters and rougher waters to come, the schedule will never be as good as it is this year. The extension will hold off some of the pitch forks next year in what looks to be a continuing long arduous rebuilding project. I'm in favor of the move, I'm tired of the revolving door---but this is a major gamble nevertheless.

Frost is the man for the job. But I’m a little concerned that a lot of fans are ok with a 10 million dollar 2 year extension because “that’s what’s needed to help recruit” or “to send a message to the media” when we are 4-5 coming off a 4-8 season. Also concerns me that our on the field performance put us in this situation.

Why are you concerned that fans are OK with it?

I was just saying to somebody last night that somewhere along the way (probably right before Moos showed up) the royal WE decided that we're ALL IN on Football. After signing a 5 year deal, raising the assistant salary pool, announcing a new facility, etc.

We can't back out now. That would be like somebody deciding 10 feet down the ski jump that they just weren't certain they wanted to do it all anymore. Sorry pal, it's way too late for that.

Last edited:
I highly doubt any of the current recruits were seriously weighing Frost's job status into their decision. Not 1.75 years into 7. Sure, there's social media banter that could suggest he's done within a year. Heck, the vast majority of schools have this. Alabama and Saban has this. Harbaugh at Michigan has this. It's today's world. So if recruits are taking social media rumors and overreactions into account, they may as well not play football in college.
I agree. If we lay eggs next year it won't matter what contract we have in place.

In the modern sports world, you've got to keep signing extensions to signal to everyone (notably recruits) that your coach isn't going anywhere. Remember when we didn't sign an extension for Tim Miles, and everyone started speculating that he was on thin ice? That's because he was.

What this says to potential recruits is, if you like what this coach is doing, feel free to sign up with the confidence that he'll be around for the long haul.

Those looking at the short-term results on the field will likely grumble about this, but if we're going to turn this thing around (eventually) we absolutely had to do this.

Miles most certainly didn't have over five years left on his contract.

There's a fine line between extending to assure continuity to recruits -- and hanging yourself financially because you extended a contract so far out, you could possibly regret it. There's no guarantees Frost will be anywhere near where any of us hope. There's also no guarantee he will continue to struggle. We don't know. But this early into seven years to sign an extension? Seems unnecessary and financially risky. Personally, I would have waited one more year. 2020 will be huge in determining Frost's abilities as coach. Let's say he wins 5 games in 2020 -- how good would anyone feel about the contract extension?

The reality is... We really don't know what we have with Frost. You have two great years at UCF and abject failure at Nebraska. I'd prefer to have some more information before talks of an extension. I'm guessing the coaches had a tough time recruiting during the bye week and blamed Frosts contract since they seem incapable of admitting their own faults.
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Many of us feel like this guy after our games most Saturdays. I am getting tired of it. :(

k976SsQ.jpg
Stop watching?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back