• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This is as bad as anything I’ve seen in football

Mason-Rudolph-Started-It.jpg

I think the NFL authorities will be watching a lot of film for the next few days to figure out penalties for individuals on both sides.

From watching the game and replays, I believe there are players on both teams that need to sit out the rest of the season without pay, plus some 6-digit fines. This stuff needs to stop. Hitting some high dollar players with high dollar fines might make players think twice about such activities (though I doubt it, heat of the moment and such). Cleveland authorities and the NFL should work together about any legal action. We shall see.

I appreciate the sentiment and understand the slippery slope of prosecuting bad acts in the sporting world but I would hope the reverse is true. I would hope that the local prosecuting attorney would contact the league and tell the league that if they don't handle this then they will prosecute.

I wouldn't argue if the local authorities got involved, just not sure they want to start down that road. Again, hockey has done it and I don't recall any big issues in the last several years, so maybe that is what it would take.

Side note, usually you see guys with helmets on and trying to punch each other, which makes no sense at all, now you have the helmet off trying to hit each other which if there trying to accomplish something this would do it.

Garrett should've been arrested immediately. The laws of this nation don't stop where the gridiron begins. If a fan did that to another fan, they'd be arrested and charged with assault before you could blink. He should also be banned from the league for life. Rudolph could've been paralyzed or killed.
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say he should be arrested, though his actions were egregious enough that the discussion is warranted.

He should definitely be suspended for at least this year (maybe more), and fined -- perhaps his entire salary for the year.

But would you prosecute a MMA fighter for what they do in the ring (cage)? The laws of the land are established so we can enjoy our lives, liberty, and property without having to worry (hopefully) about being mugged at every corner. But when you participate in a violent sport, you agree that violence is going to happen to you. But that's also why rules for sport exist -- so this type of melee doesn't happen. The NFL needs to quash the thug behavior ASAP.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say he should be arrested, though his actions were egregious enough that the discussion is warranted.

He should definitely be suspended for at least this year (maybe more), and fined -- perhaps his entire salary for the year.

But would you prosecute a MMA fighter for what they do in the ring (cage)? The laws of the land are established so we can enjoy our lives, liberty, and property without having to worry (hopefully) about being mugged at every corner. But when you participate in a violent sport, you agree that violence is going to happen to you. But that's also why rules for sport exist -- so this type of melee doesn't happen. The NFL needs to quash the thug behavior ASAP.
If they produced a weapon and used it on their opponent? uh, ya?

I would not prosecute a MMA fighter for what is normal in the cage but I can think of several instances during MMA when it could easily be justified to prosecute an MMA fighter for something way out of the ordinary. Continuing with a submission hold after someone taps out to cause a serious injury, attacking an already unconscious fighter, or getting a weapon of some sort and returning to the ring. The day could come where a fighter loses it and delivers one more blow on someone who is obviously already knocked out and it could kill them. This is pretty extreme but I would see no choice but to prosecute that.

The hit taking Rudolph to the ground is something you see every Sunday in the NFL. The little scuffle between the two on the ground is again, very common. But swinging a helmet and hitting someone on the head that isnt wearing one is way way out of line and crosses every line there is. A 280 lb world class athlete swinging a football helmet and and unprotected head is something that could result in a life threatening injury and it should be treated as such. I realize that much of football is risking life threatening injury and the players on the field accept that but what happened last night was the most reckless attempt to do serious injury to someone I have ever seen on the field.

All the talking heads are now starting to say Rudolph is as much a part of this as anyone, he had the chance to walk away and didn't. They are not saying that hitting him in the head with a helmet was right, but that Rudolph started it and had a chance to just walk away but chose to go after him. Also, Pittsburgh's center is suspended 3 games. I see this as the two main parties are done and fined and move on.

I am guessing people won't let this go, but that's typical.

All the talking heads are now starting to say Rudolph is as much a part of this as anyone, he had the chance to walk away and didn't. They are not saying that hitting him in the head with a helmet was right, but that Rudolph started it and had a chance to just walk away but chose to go after him. Also, Pittsburgh's center is suspended 3 games. I see this as the two main parties are done and fined and move on.

I am guessing people won't let this go, but that's typical.
Blame the victim. As Stephen Smith said in the ESPN video, basically this had been building up during the whole game, not just on the last play. What Rudolph did was wrong but he didn't nearly crack someone's skull open. IMO, those talking heads are helping the NFL with damage control by trying to deflect the violence Garrett inflicted on Rudolph. If it were up to me, Garrett would be out of a job.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back