• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roster Talent

Yeah I knew the situation wasn't great but 80th in the country over 4 recruiting classes is not good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if our team ranking is 80th - or lower - in the country right now. I would say we are at the bottom of P5, and well behind some G5.

Who would have ever thunk it?

So where are all these transfers going? We’ve lossed a lot more transfers then we’ve added. If everyone else is losing the same number of players then where are they all ending up?

Last edited:
The remember that when Scott's S&C crew started with half the strength of the conditioning program they used at UCF then ended up putting some of DONU guys in the hospital, that's how deconditioned the players this ranking is describing were.

The mountain to be climbed is very high ("Ski Nebraska :) ).
SF said 80%, not half. IIRC

I'd be more willing to buy into the whole lack of talent thing (I acknowledge it's part of the problem) if we were playing relatively error free football. That's definitely not the case, false starts, not being lined up correctly, missed assignments on both sides of the ball, etc. etc. Talent has nothing to do with mental errors and this team makes far too many unforced errors.

I'd be more willing to buy into the whole lack of talent thing (I acknowledge it's part of the problem) if we were playing relatively error free football. That's definitely not the case, false starts, not being lined up correctly, missed assignments on both sides of the ball, etc. etc. Talent has nothing to do with mental errors and this team makes far too many unforced errors.
You’re 100% right on the mental errors, but consider some of the more recent teams that we’ve had. If Frost had Prince, Dennard, Hagg, Gomes, Lavonte, Crick, and Suh, just for the defense, what do you think our W/L record is right now? I would argue we would only have lost to Ohio State.

I would like to see Frost piece together a better team through both recruiting AND developing before I fully pass judgement.

You’re 100% right on the mental errors, but consider some of the more recent teams that we’ve had. If Frost had Prince, Dennard, Hagg, Gomes, Lavonte, Crick, and Suh, just for the defense, what do you think our W/L record is right now? I would argue we would only have lost to Ohio State.

I would like to see Frost piece together a better team through both recruiting AND developing before I fully pass judgement.
That’s where I stand. A lot of the sloppy play has been going on well before Frost got here. I know he’s supposed to fix that because he’s the coach but old habits die hard.

I don’t disagree at all. To be clear, I’m not fully passing judgment on anyone at this point. But what do you think our W/L record would be this year if we cut the mental errors by even 50%? I think we’re easily bowl eligible and that would’ve been good enough for reasonable fans.

I’m nowhere close to giving up on HCSF. I think he’ll get us there eventually but this team is hard to watch at times right now.....

I did not place blame anywhere in my statement, did I?

It merely state FACT, players were not in condition to do what UCF players were doing easily regarding S&C.
S&C is clearly an important part of getting DONU back to where Scott and we the fans wish it to be, especially amongst the linemen.
S&C is critical to the success of the walk on program as well.

So, star ranking is one thing, but if those players cant lift 50 pounds in a bench press for example, then success in the Big Ten is going to be difficult 2 star or 5 star.

GBR
I didn't say you did, the coaches did...

It's really easy to send people to the hospital, doesn't mean they aren't in shape. If I would have went and told the UCF players to go run a marathon some of them would have went to the hospital too. Sending people to a hospital is not an indicator of being out of shape or how good you are as a S&C coach.

This was a text read to our media at the beginning of 2019. Are we saying that he meant still a couple years away?

So we are 10 months past that statement being made by our S&C coach, yet we are on the verge of another losing season and S&C is still an issue? Am I getting that right?

Last edited:
I agree, just OSU is a bad example there.

It's amazing that Alvarez cycled through coaches a lot in 10 year period and those bastards didn't suffer a lot of attrition.
Fine... i'll do it with Frost's first class.

The 2018 recruiting class for Nebraska performing this exact same exercise only 18 months after their signing day would be 10th in the B1G and 51st nationally. Can you believe how bad Scott Frost is making us?

It's just a ridiculous way to try and validate how bad Nebraska is doing IMO. Whoever came up with this metric really wasn't thinking things thru.

Not sure if we're allowed to talk about articles from other websites but Rivals posted something today that I found very interesting.

Of the past 4 recruiting classes (not counting the current true freshman class), Rivals re-ranked where Nebraska's classes would have been if you removed the recruits that transferred out or never made it to campus. Our average recruiting re-ranking of those four classes would be 13th in the Big Ten and about 80th overall in the country.

I know everyone wants to point to execution and coaching and all that, but these numbers are hard to ignore.
This article is old news. Frost tells us at every presser that these players aren’t good enough.

So where are all these transfers going? We’ve lossed a lot more transfers then we’ve added. If everyone else is losing the same number of players then where are they all ending up?
Other D1 schools, JUCOs, lower divisions, etc. Us losing players (half as many as Ohio State in 2015 classes) just means you can sign that many more the next class.

Other D1 schools, JUCOs, lower divisions, etc. Us losing players (half as many as Ohio State in 2015 classes) just means you can sign that many more the next class.
I think it’s also fair to say that players who leave Ohio state leave because they are buried in the depth chart and never going to see the field. This is usually the case in the transfer world. We have quite a few transfers right now that are making an impact on other teams. A lot of them would be making an impact had they stayed.

Last edited:

I agree, just OSU is a bad example there.

It's amazing that Alvarez cycled through coaches a lot in 10 year period and those bastards didn't suffer a lot of attrition.

It seems like common sense but I feel like Nebraska for the previous 15 years before SF and Moos didn't understand how important it is to have a good AD with a proven track record and for them, the head coach, and the administration to be on the same page. Who would've thought that all of this unrest from up top and continually hiring coaches with different offensive and defensive philopsophies would cause us to be where we are now. There's no way anybody could've seen that coming right?

It's alarming to me that from sports to other facets of life, people are positions of power who have no idea what the hell they're doing but have too big of an ego to admit it.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back