• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Struggling to Finish

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
I rewatched some of the Purdue game and noticed that we came out swinging. The first quarter looked good. But we're either lacking in endurance, depth, or both.

Looking forward to another BYE week so we can come out swinging against Wisconsin. Maybe we'll be able to play 2-3 solid quarters before losing.

If you expect things to go wrong, they will.

Loser mentality. And it's been present for quite some time

I rewatched some of the Purdue game and noticed that we came out swinging. The first quarter looked good. But we're either lacking in endurance, depth, or both.

Looking forward to another BYE week so we can come out swinging against Wisconsin. Maybe we'll be able to play 2-3 solid quarters before losing.
We have injuries everywhere compounding our depth problems, and we get absolutely beat down during the week. I don't think it's a coincidence that we looked the same in the 2nd half against Colorado, Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue. We actually tied Purdue 17-17 in the 2nd half, but in the month of October we were outscored in the 2nd half by Northwestern, Minnesota, and Indiana by a score of 20 to 49.

Makes me sad.

"Injuries everywhere" is why I think Frost had a lucky/blessed season when undefeated at UCF. That years success, probably with minimum injuries and the ball often bouncing UCF's way, might have really hampered his growth as a head coach. Kind of like the amatuer poker player that gets lucky in the first tournament he plays in and wins really big. He then steps into the high limit area at Bellagio or Aria and from there, 6 months latter, finds himself sleeping in the street close to a warm air vent of some sort wrapped in newspapers.

Pal the oddsmakers are saying there is a 50% chance of 22 players coming out of the tunnel ;)

We have injuries everywhere compounding our depth problems, and we get absolutely beat down during the week. I don't think it's a coincidence that we looked the same in the 2nd half against Colorado, Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue. We actually tied Purdue 17-17 in the 2nd half, but in the month of October we were outscored in the 2nd half by Northwestern, Minnesota, and Indiana by a score of 20 to 49.

Makes me sad.

Do you believe it to be a depth problem more than a conditioning problem?

Do you believe it to be a depth problem more than a conditioning problem?
In an effort to give you the worst answer ever, I think it’s both.

For example, we started the season with spots we were pretty thin, and then injuries happen and it makes it even thinner. Then you compound it by us just taking these guys over the coals in workouts and it compounds the issue. One of the coolest sayings I heard this past year is “you can’t tell the difference between an untrained athlete and an overtrained athlete.” Wondering if that’s what we are seeing, because we are working really hard, but how we do it doesn’t jive with CNS and the anatomy. Because minus guys that haven’t been lifting in our system (Washington), hurt a lot so they aren’t getting to lift as much (Robinson), or transferred in late so haven’t been in our system long (Daniels), or rehabbed at home all summer (Domann), we look incredibly slow. All of those guys I listed look different moving than 95% of our other guys.

There is definitely such a thing as burnout. Think about it professionally. When you're exhausted and overworked, your output suffers.

For a myriad of reasons - injury, apathy, lack of training - we have a bunch of guys on the roster who are not contributing at the level they can/should. That means you have guys like Martinez/Vedral, Robinson and Spielman being forced to overcompensate and stretch themselves thin. And just like how your project report was missing two paragraphs because you completed it at 3am, these guys are running ragged. Mistakes and misreads are gonna happen.

The biggest problem is that it's not just one problem. Honestly, the best thing that can happen to 2019 Husker football is 2020 Husker football. Having time away to heal, plug in new recruits, get rid of slackers, evaluate play calls, etc. is really what's going to fix this thing. And all of those things are literally just a function of time.

Let's root for our boys to finish 2019 as strongly as possible and start building March Madness hype. The Hoiberg era starts tonight!

In an effort to give you the worst answer ever, I think it’s both.

For example, we started the season with spots we were pretty thin, and then injuries happen and it makes it even thinner. Then you compound it by us just taking these guys over the coals in workouts and it compounds the issue. One of the coolest sayings I heard this past year is “you can’t tell the difference between an untrained athlete and an overtrained athlete.” Wondering if that’s what we are seeing, because we are working really hard, but how we do it doesn’t jive with CNS and the anatomy. Because minus guys that haven’t been lifting in our system (Washington), hurt a lot so they aren’t getting to lift as much (Robinson), or transferred in late so haven’t been in our system long (Daniels), or rehabbed at home all summer (Domann), we look incredibly slow. All of those guys I listed look different moving than 95% of our other guys.

OK, so what is the answer? I don't think it is a secret that you are not sold on the S & C right now.

I am really tired of the excuses though. Play some football and win some games. Win the games you can win. Oh that's right, we have one game left that we probably should win. The other 2 not so much.

I just am having a real hard time getting over being angry about this Purdue game and in turn it makes me angry about the Indiana game. I get the lack of depth, get the youth, I get the lack of talent, I get the injuries, so what. No one told the back to the back up at Purdue that he can't win a football game.

I appreciate Leach doing research into things he discusses. Speed comes in more than one form. I was never your ten yard champ, but could run anyone down from behind. It made me work harder to hold the edge. Lateral speed and straight ahead speed may be radically different in the same person. Some people have super explosive first gear, but lag when they need second and third. Long legs tend to have higher top end speed, but not always. Shorter legs tend to be quicker in acceleration, but not always. And a few guys just plain move fast in every measure. You can increase speed in every aspect, which is what Duval is concentrating on. No doubt he's improving overall team speed. We do not lack any one type of speed on the team. What we lack are natural speedsters that combine talent in every measure.

The itty bitty committee is never going to be that target group. This is why our coaches are targeting leaner, longer, and better built athletic types.

Last edited:
OK, so what is the answer? I don't think it is a secret that you are not sold on the S & C right now.

I am really tired of the excuses though. Play some football and win some games. Win the games you can win. Oh that's right, we have one game left that we probably should win. The other 2 not so much.

I just am having a real hard time getting over being angry about this Purdue game and in turn it makes me angry about the Indiana game. I get the lack of depth, get the youth, I get the lack of talent, I get the injuries, so what. No one told the back to the back up at Purdue that he can't win a football game.

So I'm one of those who doesn't need to see a lineman look like a body builder to think our S&C program is working. It's not reasonable to expect natural sub 10% BF kids on the lines and in fact a little extra body fat isn't going to hurt either group.....but some of our kids just look fat. This may be as much nutrition as it is S&C, but they go hand in hand. Our videos from the spring of guys squatting 800lbs were obviously BS. Functional strength is all that matters here and we don't see much of that on display. So leave it at 'I don't think we're there' when it comes to our S&C.

As for the rest, kids are still earning how to play hard, snap to whistle, and that shows on the scoreboard. Fix that and you're going to win a lot more football games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back