• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost Presser

LurkSker44

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Quotes that caught my eye, some disturbing, some encouraging. Before people jump down my throat, let me preface this by saying I like Frost and think he’s the man for the job.

“Offensively, we were close. I don’t think we played poorly, we just made mental mistakes here and there that you can’t make.”
At a minimum, IMHO, the line played poorly.

“We talked this morning about getting better at fundamentals and basic things,”
I’m happy to hear this, but aren’t they working on fundamentals a good portion of the year? This team has shown poor basics for the first 7 games.

“I kind of had the impression coming off the field we got pushed around a little up front, but when you watched the tape that didn’t happen. We just misfit some things. Guys in the secondary were expecting somebody from linebacker to be in a gap, and four, five or six times they weren’t there, and they turned into big plays."
Maybe they didn’t get pushed back initially? Minny definitely kept driving their feet and pushed our guys back. The linebackers missing assignments, is this coaching or on the players at this point?

“We don’t generate enough big plays to make mistakes and be able to sustain drives,” Frost said. “We need to keep doing the things we do so we can generate more plays, and in the meantime, we have to eliminate the mistakes, so we don’t stop drives ourselves.”
I’ve kind of wondered this year if the play calling was too centered on big home run plays. That first drive when we got to the 30 I had a strong feeling it would Peter out and it did. It’s becoming a pattern, big plays leading to nothing. Does the offensive game plan need a change to formulate sustainable drives, especially in the B1G? I may be looking too much into this one Lol!

I fully trust Frost. These quotes peaked my curiosity and I was interested in hearing your takes.

Last edited:

Shocking as it is, this Offense does not have the kind of athletes it takes to win most of the One-on-One battles in the trench. Therefore, it is absolutely imperative that each big play that is started, end in the end zone.

It is even more obvious with our Defensive line. Not enough talent in the 1st, and 2nd team.

It used to be a given that the elite athletes that the Huskers needed for a specific position, would end up at Nebraska to fill that spot. I think a lot of us had forgotten what it was like for Nebraska to get an elite athlete until we got Wandale.

I think that if we fail to win the recruiting battles for those elites that we so desperately need, that we face the real possibility that we eventually end up in Div. 1 where our yearly battle for the conference championship will be with the South Dakota State Jack Rabbits.

Last edited:

Quotes that caught my eye....
I kind of had the impression coming off the field we got pushed around a little up front, but when you watched the tape that didn’t happen. We just misfit some things. Guys in the secondary were expecting somebody from linebacker to be in a gap, and four, five or six times they weren’t there, and they turned into big plays."

I agree with Frost here. The OL and DL didn't get manhandled as much as we just didn't do some things correctly. People freaked out when I suggested the OL had a 'B' game. Their blocking really wasn't that bad.

On the D side, we had quite a few guys let their brothers down. He seems to be saying something similar. It all starts with the DL using good technique so that the linebackers can get to those gaps. It wasn't happening because there was a complete lack of trust between DL and LB. You have to help each other out.

Linebackers didn't fill the run gaps very well. You can only ask the D line to take up so much space and the "linebackers" should be doing their job and backing up the line.

Oline I still contend is just young and should hopefully get better.

I would like to know how many yards after contact Minny ran for. Players need to wrap up and drive the shoulder to the ground.

I'm sure eager for us to get a big, physical running back that can hold on to the football. I love Wandale Robinson and Mo Washington, but they're not big enough to run inside in the Big Ten. We need a Ken Clark type of runner.

Last edited:

I agree with Frost here. The OL and DL didn't get manhandled as much as we just didn't do some things correctly. People freaked out when I suggested the OL had a 'B' game. Their blocking really wasn't that bad.

On the D side, we had quite a few guys let their brothers down. He seems to be saying something similar. It all starts with the DL using good technique so that the linebackers can get to those gaps. It wasn't happening because there was a complete lack of trust between DL and LB. You have to help each other out.

I think "B" is a bit high, but there was some running room and they weren't the only thing going wrong that night.

On D, agree that the transition point between DL and LB was the biggest problem. To my eyes, the DL was doing their job, but the LB's and sometimes safeties weren't filling properly

I would like to know how many yards after contact Minny ran for. Players need to wrap up and drive the shoulder to the ground.
To me this is part of getting pushed around, when the guy gets 7 yards after the point of contact because the line continues blocking and the RB keeps chopping his feet. Effort and imposing ones will prevailed in this game

So I will admit I sure don't know much about O and D line play, give me kickers anyday. That being said I thought our D line got their lunch handed to them. I won't argue with those knowledgeable on this board or coach Frost. Not saying it happened every play but enough that it just looked bad. Whatever the reason I hope they get something corrected or Wisconsin and Iowa will expose those 'Bad Fits' again and again and again. I see good things in the Huskers future but the present is a little shaky right now.

The entire game was effort imo. If their O-line wasn't pushing back our D-line, then their little RB was. Maybe it was scheme but Minny's running game made us look really bad. When we did make a tackle it seemed like it took 2-3 guys to get the RB to the ground.

The O-line did better to my eye. Some of the problem was either receivers not getting open or Vedral not recognizing an opening. Without AM and WR, our O was going to struggle. I had thought maybe Vedral would bring something AM was lacking this year but it was more of the same...which makes me question the chemistry on O.

I don't know, but I'm tired of hoping for the season to be over so we can come back next year better. I really thought this year would be a big step forward and it may still bring some good moments but we're young, injured and down a notch or two on depth.
Fully on board with SF because I think he will learn what it takes to win at NU in the B1G. Its going to take time....hopefully every year there will be growth.

“We talked this morning about getting better at fundamentals and basic things,”
I’m happy to hear this, but aren’t they working on fundamentals a good portion of the year? This team has shown poor basics for the first 7 games.

I agree, this drives me nuts. Are we trying to run some sort of exotic scheme on both sides of the ball to the detriment of "the basics?" If so, why? Until you can Block (or shed a block), Tackle, take good angles, play your assignment and fit your gaps THERE IS NOTHING ELSE. It doesn't do any good to stretch the defense and make them defend the whole field with exotic 'weapons' if you can't sustain blocks.

Frost has admitted relying too much on being "schemey." I am reminded of the great Lombardi teams that ran very few plays, and the defense knew what was coming, but they executed so well it didn't matter. Gain 3.333 yards 3 times. Repeat. Score a touchdown.

Also, my wife when she hears this says, "Really? Most all of these guys have been playing football since 4th grade. How is it possible that they knew how to play football in High School to the extent that we offered a scholarship but now somehow have forgotten the basics of how to play football?" I know there's more too it at the next level but COME ON!

Last edited:
Seems like the Frost honeymoon officially ended in Minnesota. Personally I think it went a full 7 games too long.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back