• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anyone else happy...

juju

The future starts now.
5 Year Member
that our defensive line is physically stouter at the point of attack this year?
I watched a little of Minnie game where they bowed up at the end to win. But I noticed the RG and RT looked about 760-780 together and thought dang, I feel better about taking B1G o-lines this year.

Hope the trend continues and sounds like Frost has been very complimentary of Coach T on the d-line play.

that our defensive line is physically stouter at the point of attack this year?
I watched a little of Minnie game where they bowed up at the end to win. But I noticed the RG and RT looked about 760-780 together and thought dang, I feel better about taking B1G o-lines this year.

Hope the trend continues and sounds like Frost has been very complimentary of Coach T on the d-line play.
Glad you started this thread. With all the crying over our "terrible" OL, I think the success of our DL has taken a back seat.

I am happy and agree they deserve a shout out.

And by the way, goal line stand? I had to rub my eyes and check I was on the right channel. Sure it was Northern Illinois but I'm liking what I'm seeing there now. And the LBs are coming along, and with the secondary they're all starting to complement one another. I could see some pretty good team defense happening as we go along here.

Last edited:
Agree.... I've been pleasantly surprised how the D has played except for the CU melt down! They are way way way ahead of last season and improving weekly. I'm a huge believe that DEFENSE wins championships and if Nebraska is going become a national power again we're going to need a very good D. I think Chin hasn't been given enough credit for the fast turn around from last years disaster which he really inherited.

We're going to win some games this season based on playing good solid defense imo. Offense is going to have off days or frankly not be able to run over certain teams like OSU! So we're going to need a D that can keep us in some of these super tight games. Heck they even did the job in the OT and held CU to a FG!! That should have been enough to win it imo... but.. oh.. not going to go there!

The D is looking really good and should continue to improve........

And by the way, goal line stand? I had to rub my eyes and check I was on the right channel. Sure it was Northern Illinois but I'm liking what I'm seeing there now. And the LBs are coming along, and with the secondary they're all starting to complement one another. I could see some pretty good team defense happening as we go along here.
The defensive line deserve so much credit and they have far surpassed my expectations. But after watching the film of the Northern Illinois game, I shifted my typical attention from the offensive line to our linebackers, especially those playing on the inside. Let me tell you, those kids are flying to the ball now. A lot of that has to do with the fact that defensive lineman are doing their job in the two-gap, freeing up the linebackers for free shots at the ball carriers. But there's something different about the way they are playing. It's night and day in terms of the speed at which they are flowing to the ball. All of this stuff is complementary, and as @cthusker stated, Chin deserves a lot of credit for the quick turnaround.

I'm staying very positive about this group, but this week will be a very interesting test, especially with the Illinois running game. They've got a true stud (Corbin & an experienced offensive line) that we're going to have to game plan to stop. Positional discipline will be challenged greatly on Saturday. Play action off the run using Peters' arm might find a receiver or two behind our defensive backs.

Last edited:
This is the kind of DL we’ve been waiting a long time for. Since Crick and Suh, maybe? Can we finally say we have a B1G-ready DL?

Sr laden but a mix of classes overall, experienced, sized appropriately, some talented backups that will cut their teeth this year and really challenge...or rise to the occasion if needed. I think we have a damn good position coach.

Starting to be a big fan of the captain in the middle as well.

Last edited:

The D-Line has played well so far (minus maybe one quarter in Boulder), though not exactly against a bunch of elite offenses. I'm anxious to see how they do against the better conference teams on our schedule.

I was in the stands, so I was sure I was watching the right game ( I think), but after the second play my son and I just looked at each other and didn't say a word. When Sullivan batted the ball away on 4th it was awesome. Haven't seen anything like that in a while.

This is the kind of DL we’ve been waiting a long time for. Since Crick and Suh, maybe? Can we finally say we have a B1G-ready DL?

Sr laden but a mix of classes overall, experienced, sized appropriately, some talented backups that will cut their teeth this year and really challenge...or rise to the occasion if needed. I think we have a damn good position coach.

Starting to be a big fan of the captain in the middle as well.

Couldn't agree more!

Yes I believe it is stouter and the S&C program is much better. I said this in another thread. Our offensive line is really struggling but it is NOT because they are weaker like it has been in recent years. The opponent is not simply over powering our offensive line. It seems to me it is more about communication, schemes and missed assignments. Too many UNBLOCKED or BARELY BLOCKED opponents making it through the line of scrimmage. This IS fixable and right not probably one of the main culprits of AM appearances to be struggling.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back