• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I Love/Hate Memorial Stadium

You guys complaining about the north stadium have apparently never been in south stadium. At least they added the concourse in the north. If you're in the SS, you have to go all the way down to dirt level to find the facilities.

Or, see post # 43.

The problem with the design of Memorial is this:
The original stadium (east and west) was constructed around a track. Then when the Bobfather started expanding it in 1964, he took out the track and put the end zone stands right up to the end lines. So you have two incompatible designs. Then the slope of the N & S stands is too flat, so by the time you're up in Row 88 (like me), you're 200 yards away from the field.

The slope of the east and west stands are a little on the flat side as well

Last edited:
You guys complaining about the north stadium have apparently never been in south stadium. At least they added the concourse in the north. If you're in the SS, you have to go all the way down to dirt level to find the facilities.

Or, see post # 43.
Well if you are in the SS I would hope you would not be at a NE game. NO NAZIS

When I brought my wife to the stadium for her first game, we sat 2/3 of the way up in the northwest part of the north stadium seats. One of her first questions was why isn't there a screen for "us" on the south side? When she looked around and saw the upper deck development, she asked if they were in the middle of renovating the south side because it didn't look finished. I thought that those were good observations.

There are three things that Moos will want to do with the stadium:
  1. Build something; renovate something; every AD wants to be able to point to something cool that they did that made the facilities obviously better to anyone watching;
  2. Make more money; also, ALWAYS a given;
  3. Create a better seating arrangement for the student section;
  4. More locker space;
  5. Larger weight room;
  6. More office/classroom space;
  7. I would add that the fans want more comfortable seating, too, so that will eventually have to be a priority for Moos, too.
I think that they'll start with South Stadium. Add some more suites and balcony seating and a big screen TV on top, move the students down below, and that would probably address 1-3. I'm not sure where he's thinking about adding on space for more lockers, weight room, and office space, but the parking area north of the stadium and west of Hawks would probably be attractive. Maybe they even build an entirely new indoor practice facility there by tying it in with Hawks and the outdoor practice field & track area. I'm not sure when & where they'll start upgrading the seating, but it would make sense to start doing that while adding in seating in the South Stadium so that there is still a net gain in seating, even while seats are removed to make seating larger and more comfortable.

One thing is certain: All of the above happens quicker and with more support if the football team is again nationally relevant.

I think this may be your most classic post yet @Middle-aged_Ball_Coach .

3 things Moos will do... Provides a 7 point list!

(I get your post though.... just made me laugh)

The problem with the design of Memorial is this:
The original stadium (east and west) was constructed around a track. Then when the Bobfather started expanding it in 1964, he took out the track and put the end zone stands right up to the end lines. So you have two incompatible designs. Then the slope of the N & S stands is too flat, so by the time you're up in Row 88 (like me), you're 200 yards away from the field.

A lot of schools took out their tracks, then excavated the field (lowered the field level) and added rows of seats in front, closer to the field. But that wouldn't work at NU because of the incongruous design. The ideal would be to totally remove the N and S stadia and start over. The problem being, how to do that in one off season. Even the "minor" upgrades we've done have taken 2 years.

Engineers and architects are pretty smart fellows. I wonder if there was a way they could do it over three years but not disrupt seating? Year one, do all the structural work underneath that would be required to support the new stands. Year two, remove old risers and add new risers. Year three, remove old remaining structural supports and complete the “beauty work” for facade etc.

Of course, the problem with all this is does the U get enough bang for their buck doing this? Yes it would increase the fan experience but likely does not increase revenue. I’m sure they’d cram some more suites in there but is there really a market for that?

Last edited:
Those pillars where the video screens are attached are part of the original stadium

And have been intentionally left in place, which I wholeheartedly agree with. Yes, it prevents a full oval stadium, but that doesn't really bother me.

Could the old girl be a better venue? Sure. What stadium doesn't have issues, especially one that has been incrementally expanded and tinkered with for 50 years or so. I think the stadium is special, in part, BECAUSE of it's quirks. Some of those quirks help tell the story of Husker Football.

Engineers and architects are pretty smart fellows. I wonder if there was a way they could do it over three years but not disrupt seating? Year one, do all the structural work underneath that would be required to support the new stands. Year two, remove old risers and add new risers. Year three, remove old remaining structural supports and complete the “beauty work” for facade etc.

Of course, the problem with all this is does the U get enough bang for their buck doing this? Yes it would increase the fan experience but likely does not increase revenue. I’m sure they’d cram some more suites in there but is there really a market for that?
You are correct, it could probably be done, but would it be feasible financially and logistically.

I get the impression that there has always a been a healthy market for the suites, and you'd expect that to grow stronger if we started, you know, winning again.

What stadium doesn't have issues, especially one that has been incrementally expanded and tinkered with for 50 years or so.
From what I understand it, the one stadium that fits your description--continually expanded over multiple decades--but does NOT have issues would be ... Neyland Stadium for the University of Tennessee. General Neyland had some engineering/architectural background from serving in the military, and he was the coach then AD, off an on, from 1926 until well into the 60s. He laid out all of the future expansion plans for the stadium up to its 100+ thousand size, and (if I remember correctly) he still had some plans for future expansion beyond that, just in case. Never mind that he's been dead for 57 years. The only improvements that were made that were not according to his plans were the adding of more modern technology--jumbo screens, better scoreboards, etc.--and they widened some of the seating for what I assume are the ever-widening @$$3$ of Volunteers fans.

Not at all related to this thread, but a cool piece of trivia. That's why I'm here. You're welcome. ;-)

In general I love memorial stadium and the experience of being there on game day. I only get to a couple games per year but I always get the same giddy feeling as when my dad took me to games as a young boy.

But if I could change one thing I'd widen the seats/reduce the number of people per row. Last game I went to we had to sit sideways because the people around us were extra large. The guy next to me took up at least 2, possibly 3 seats. Nice guy but not fair to the people around him. I had purchased a seat cushion and couldn't even use it. Even standing was a challenge. I know seat count = money but that spoiled the experience.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back