• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sirius XM College - NU stock down

Like I said, don’t expect anyone to say we’re gonna be great. Honestly just get tired of this trope from Luginbill. He’s basically saying NU can’t be great again because proximity to recruits and I just disagree. He just loves to double down on this point. Just seemed an odd bone for him to pick today as they were doing stock up or down on literally any coach, sport, sports city etc and this is what he picks.

Maybe he’s got an axe to grind. Dunno. I could care less until NU starts winning. Roll this crap out when Nebraska is coming off a 8-4 year or better and I’ll grouse. Right now, bitching just doesn’t feel right. I know what’s going on, you know what’s going on, Luginbill is behind the times. He’ll look foolish if Nebraska wins something this year.

I really never give much credit to opinions of sports writers covering all teams. Very few do it well. Heck, very few local ones do it well. When we start winning more games the same guys will state the obvious things because they have no time to dig much deeper than that.

We all sleep eat and drink husker football and still argue these things.
Very well said. It's genuinely hard to sift through mountains of information, identify what's important (while ignoring the rest), and accurately predict what will happen in the near future, let alone the more distant future. People who can consistently do that in any field are worth knowing. I think that Tony Romo is the best color commentary guy in the business. Why? He is continually explaining what has been happening, then explains what it likely to happen next, and then it happens. You'll notice, though, how humble he is about it, too. A lot of these pundits think that they're the FBS equivalent to Romo, except that they don't narrow their focus, they have almost no humility, and they're wrong more often than they're right.

Who is the best at predicting preseason rankings in college football? There are so many variables, starting with injuries, that it's usually more luck than skill when someone is accurate. Do it in consecutive years, and you'll have my attention.

As for the local sports reporters ... [sigh] ... they almost always just repeat what coaches have told them, even when the guy is talking about his own team.

Like I said, don’t expect anyone to say we’re gonna be great. Honestly just get tired of this trope from Luginbill. He’s basically saying NU can’t be great again because proximity to recruits and I just disagree. He just loves to double down on this point. Just seemed an odd bone for him to pick today as they were doing stock up or down on literally any coach, sport, sports city etc and this is what he picks.

How do you feel about some of the polls that have us inside the top 25? Is that too optimistic? It sure would be nice to see our name in the rankings again as the season progresses.

If he thinks NU’s stock is down, then I assume he is predicting 3 or fewer wins. Other wise NU’s stock would either be steady or rising. I wonder what he would be willing to bet on NU winning fewer than 4 games?

I guess that is one way to interpret his assessment. But that might be taking him more literally then he intended.

I would guess that he is simply making his knee jerk reaction to any team that has a long history of championships, followed by years of only 9-10 win seasons and no championships, followed by 2 years of 4-8 as being on the downward slide. Even if he is looking closely at the 2019 Husker team, it's not as if we don't have some big holes to fill and a lot of young players that are going to need to step up. From the outside looking in, Frost was brought in to fix a daunting dumpster fire and the expectation is that it isn't going to be fixed overnight.

Having said that, we here at Huskermax know the "truth"; that Frost will turn this program around quickly and we can expect a nice bowl game and at least 8 wins this coming season.

How do you feel about some of the polls that have us inside the top 25? Is that too optimistic? It sure would be nice to see our name in the rankings again as the season progresses.

Haven’t given it much thought to be honest. But I took Luginbill as saying not just next year, but for the foreseeable future. I think he ignores what Frost has been able to accomplish on the recruiting trail following to 4-8 seasons. To think that Frost can’t live in the teens in that regard is something I’d disagree with him on. And I believe NU can compete with those types of classes. Luginbill likes to beat this drum about NU recruiting and I just don’t buy it. We haven’t had a very good coach AND recruiter for a long time.

Let's assume for a second that the consensus recruiting rankings for the past few years were accurate ...

Then, lets assume for a second that if the ratings were accurate that the failure of recent NFL drafts was the programs ability to DEVELOP players ...

And right now the only real viable NFL draftee for next year's draft is Mo Barry ... if he doesn't get drafted ... is SF culpable for failure to develop?

I know the above is real simplistic ... a lot of factors involved.

First of all, your future proposed placing of culpability rests on a premise that is yet to be established. Is Mo Barry a viable NFL draftee? (At least one publication has Barry and four other NU defensive players as draft prospects for 2020) I'm not sure the question of whether someone is a viable NFL draftee really has a definitive answer. But if, through scientific analysis, you could prove that Mo Barry is viable NFL caliber material, (or you know scouts who are saying he is and that teams are very interested) if he doesn't get drafted, perhaps you could make the case that it is the coaching staff's fault for not developing him.

But there may be other explanations as well, unrelated to a coach's development program, that prevent an NFL talent from being drafted. We all believe that Ozigbo is an NFL talent and he certainly developed during his time at NU. But for some reason, he didn't get drafted.

At this point, way too optimistic. But this is the season for optimism. Whether this optimism is reasonable will be answered once games start being played in the Fall.

I have a hard time getting worked up over something someone says to fill space and get reaction. Just concentrate on those that say NU is on the upswing and you'll be happier and the negative writers will have to write something else in order to get attention. A thread to basically say "this isn't fair and it bothers me" is kind of like saying "i'm going to let this guy who knows nothing about NU football tell me how i should feel".

I have a hard time getting worked up over something someone says to fill space and get reaction. Just concentrate on those that say NU is on the upswing and you'll be happier and the negative writers will have to write something else in order to get attention. A thread to basically say "this isn't fair and it bothers me" is kind of like saying "i'm going to let this guy who knows nothing about NU football tell me how i should feel".
I just enjoy laughing at their willful ignorance. I stopped being offended by it when Corso had to eat his words in the '90s.

Just makes it that much sweeter to watch them backpedal, as several will in about 6 or 7 months.

Last edited:

Where did I say either of those things? My day has gone along just fine. Thought it would be interesting to discuss on here. When I say this guy always has a bone to pick on this or whatever, I’m still able to chuckle it off. Doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s worthy of discussion.

Last edited:

First of all, your future proposed placing of culpability rests on a premise that is yet to be established. Is Mo Barry a viable NFL draftee? (At least one publication has Barry and four other NU defensive players as draft prospects for 2020) I'm not sure the question of whether someone is a viable NFL draftee really has a definitive answer. But if, through scientific analysis, you could prove that Mo Barry is viable NFL caliber material, (or you know scouts who are saying he is and that teams are very interested) if he doesn't get drafted, perhaps you could make the case that it is the coaching staff's fault for not developing him.

But there may be other explanations as well, unrelated to a coach's development program, that prevent an NFL talent from being drafted. We all believe that Ozigbo is an NFL talent and he certainly developed during his time at NU. But for some reason, he didn't get drafted.
The publication was Athlon ... listed top 5 potential NFL draftees from Nebraska ... Lamar Jackson, Daniels, Barry, Davis ... that same publication listed top 25 potential NFL draftees from B1G. Not one Husker was on this list. Meaning there are at least (by this publication) 25 players from the B1G who have higher NFL draft potential than Nebraska. At best ... our highest potential kid is 3rd day draft prospect at best ... albeit currently.

:Lol:

I'm honestly not saying this to be inflammatory, but my mind was wandering a bit and I thought you were posting Mike Riley's record. Looks pretty similar, and a lot of people certainly believed what that guy said.
I swear I almost posted the exact same thing when I was posting that.... :Lol::thumbsup:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back