• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Well Happy Friday then!

While the 4-3 is less married to body types.

I agreed with everything else that you said, except for this part. The hard-to-find players for a team like Nebraska in the 4-3 are pretty much the entire D-line every year, and the OLBs on some years. It wasn't as tough when teams ran traditional formations, but out of the spread, those LBs have to be able to cover in space, and the DEs need to be able to play like OLBs. It's very hard to find top-shelf DEs for even the 90s era 4-3 defense. If you remember, that got going with Trev Alberts, who was recruited to play LB. Tomich was a bit of a fluke because of he wasn't academically eligible. Once we got Wistrom, the recruiting for that position was never a problem again. If you take any one of those three foundational players out of the mix, I don't know that we would have recruited so well to that position. For a few years in the mid- to late-90s, if you regularly saw the field for Nebraska at DE, you were going to have a future in the NFL. That's not normal. The DTs are basically halfway between the NG and DEs of a 3-4, and you need two of them. If we had had one more, we would have looked like a completely different team against Wisconsin in the B1G Championship in 2012.

Either scheme poses problems for Nebraska when it comes to recruiting, it's just a matter of different positions that are hard to fill.

I agreed with everything else that you said, except for this part. The hard-to-find players for a team like Nebraska in the 4-3 are pretty much the entire D-line every year, and the OLBs on some years. It wasn't as tough when teams ran traditional formations, but out of the spread, those LBs have to be able to cover in space, and the DEs need to be able to play like OLBs. It's very hard to find top-shelf DEs for even the 90s era 4-3 defense. If you remember, that got going with Trev Alberts, who was recruited to play LB. Tomich was a bit of a fluke because of he wasn't academically eligible. Once we got Wistrom, the recruiting for that position was never a problem again. If you take any one of those three foundational players out of the mix, I don't know that we would have recruited so well to that position. For a few years in the mid- to late-90s, if you regularly saw the field for Nebraska at DE, you were going to have a future in the NFL. That's not normal. The DTs are basically halfway between the NG and DEs of a 3-4, and you need two of them. If we had had one more, we would have looked like a completely different team against Wisconsin in the B1G Championship in 2012.

Either scheme poses problems for Nebraska when it comes to recruiting, it's just a matter of different positions that are hard to fill.

There is a big difference between looking for a certain body type and having a hard time recruiting players in general.

The 3-4 defense wants long OLBs. Ideally 6'4"+ 240 to 255 lbs with long arms. I am trying to think of a Nebraska linebacker of the 90's era that looked like that. Speed was the key back then. Most of them were about 6'1" 220-230. Some were even smaller than that. The 3-4 defensive end/tackle Ideally is about 6'4 plus in height and weighs at least 280. Wistrom, Tomich, Dwayne Harris, Alberts, The Kelsey brother, Van Don Bosh, Rucker etc never played at more than 250 and you had all sorts of hts. Rucker was 6'6", Tomich might have been 6'2". Lots of different sizes and body types of 1 and 3 tech players in a 4-3 also. They don't have to be 330 like a guy playing 0 tech. Jason Peter weighed about 280 and was 6'4" playing the 3 tech. Terry Connely was taller and not that heavy. His bother was about 6'2" and 290 playing the 1 tech and the next year it was Jeff Ogard at 6'6" and about 310.

There is a big difference between looking for a certain body type and having a hard time recruiting players in general.

The 3-4 defense wants long OLBs. Ideally 6'4"+ 240 to 255 lbs with long arms. I am trying to think of a Nebraska linebacker of the 90's era that looked like that. Speed was the key back then. Most of them were about 6'1" 220-230. Some were even smaller than that. The 3-4 defensive end/tackle Ideally is about 6'4 plus in height and weighs at least 280. Wistrom, Tomich, Dwayne Harris, Alberts, The Kelsey brother, Van Don Bosh, Rucker etc never played at more than 250 and you had all sorts of hts. Rucker was 6'6", Tomich might have been 6'2". Lots of different sizes and body types of 1 and 3 tech players in a 4-3 also. They don't have to be 330 like a guy playing 0 tech. Jason Peter weighed about 280 and was 6'4" playing the 3 tech. Terry Connely was taller and not that heavy. His bother was about 6'2" and 290 playing the 1 tech and the next year it was Jeff Ogard at 6'6" and about 310.
Bo Ruud, John Hesse, Wistrom was recruited as an OLB, Hocstein and Polk would be perfect in the 3-4.

The 3-4 defense wants long OLBs. Ideally 6'4"+ 240 to 255 lbs with long arms. I am trying to think of a Nebraska linebacker of the 90's era that looked like that.

The 3-4 defensive end/tackle Ideally is about 6'4 plus in height and weighs at least 280. Wistrom, Tomich, Dwayne Harris, Alberts, The Kelsey brother, Van Don Bosh, Rucker etc never played at more than 250 and you had all sorts of hts. Rucker was 6'6", Tomich might have been 6'2".

Thom beat me to some of it in the quotation below, but you answered your own question: a lot of the quicker DEs of the McBride era would have been recruited to play OLB, and for the same reasons. The guy that I thought of earlier as a DE from that era who would be an OLB in Chin's system is Duane Harris. Remember him? Every one of those DEs with long arms and a good burst of speed would have been reshaped into OLBs. It was good for Wistrom and Nebraska that we were playing a 4-3 because he probably didn't move laterally well enough to be as dominant as an OLB.

Nebraska has always had a lot of players at the size required to play OLB, but the problem is that they have to also have the quickness and nose for the ball necessary to move around in space and still make plays.

Bo Ruud, John Hesse, Wistrom was recruited as an OLB, Hocstein and Polk would be perfect in the 3-4.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back