• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Football vs basketball!

djlhuskerfan

Starter
15 Year Member
I am wondering if the fanbase would be satisfied if we got back to being a football power and let basketball be what basketball is here? I know I could be alright with it. Didn't know whether to post here or on football forum. Probably it's a reality we will never be a consistent power in hoops, no matter who we hire. We just don't get the big time players to come here. It's a shame because the fans will support a winning hoops team. Moos came here and we got the football coach everybody wanted. Just start over with hoops and hire a top assistant or mid major coach like always and roll with it. Sorry but I am giving up on hoops!!

Then stay off the basketball board.

I am a Husker fan, not just a Husker football fan. What the football team does has no impact on my fandom for Husker basketball. I don't buy the argument that we can't be consistently good in basketball. But it starts with the head coach and we have never really gotten that part right.

Then stay off the basketball board.

I am a Husker fan, not just a Husker football fan. What the football team does has no impact on my fandom for Husker basketball. I don't buy the argument that we can't be consistently good in basketball. But it starts with the head coach and we have never really gotten that part right.
Just asked a question!

Just asked a question!
No, you created a thread to declare Husker hoops hopeless and to also let everyone know that you have given up.

Which is fine, but there is really no reason to come to the basketball room if that is the case.

I did say I was giving up on hoops. Should have reworded that. We have never got it right, I agree with you

Certainly, to each their own. But when you mention, "the fanbase," that's where I differ.

There is no need for the fanbase to sacrifice other sports for the football program to succeed.

Sure, I'd love for the football team to become a national power again. I'd also love for the basketball team to win an NCAA Tournament game. And the baseball team to return to the CWS. And the volleyball team to make more Final Four appearances. As a fan, I shouldn't have to decide one over the other. There's sports throughout the calendar year for a reason. And athletes attend UNL to participate in many different sports for a reason -- and that reason is not "because we want the football team to do well and all other sports should be sacrificial lambs for this to happen."

Last edited:
We all want to see hoops be successful. But is the administration ready to make that big time commitment to the basketball program? They built the practice facility out of necessity and the city of Lincoln built the arena. But are they ready to go for a big fish to coach this team. I am not convinced

We all want to see hoops be successful. But is the administration ready to make that big time commitment to the basketball program? They built the practice facility out of necessity and the city of Lincoln built the arena. But are they ready to go for a big fish to coach this team. I am not convinced
What I think you are failing to understand is it’s not about a big fish, it’s about the right fish. 2.2 million wasn’t chicken feed, and our fan support, conference affiliation and facilities should have gotten us further along than they did. Miles was seen by many as an excellent hire, a guy with plenty of upside going forward.

If you look at maybe 10 of the most popular names bantered around on here, there are certainly some that could be gotten for around that number, and I’d be stunned if they didn’t put a better product on the court. The top 4 or 5 will cost more, and I have no doubt we are fine with getting close to doubling that number for an Altman or Hoiberg. When Self said thanks, but no thanks, it wasn’t a money issue, it was an ‘I’m going to get a better offer at a place I want to be’ issue. It takes more than just green, we need the right guy who wants to build something in Lincoln Nebraska.

But is the administration ready to make that big time commitment to the basketball program?

Isn't that up to Moos, more so than the "administration? He's only been here 16 months and hasn't really had the time to fire Miles & make a new hire.

Don't worry though, I think he's close to making that "go for a big fish to coach this team" hire.

Just give Moos a week or so and we shall see.

Last edited:
I grew up in western Nebraska when all we really heard about was the football team most of the time. Fast forward a half of century and I live in Kansas a little less than three hours from Lincoln with a son who is surrounded by a bunch of Jayhawk and Wildcat fans. Our schedule hasn't permitted us an opportunity to get up to Lincoln for volleyball or women's basketball; however, he just turned 11 and has seen the football, baseball, and men's basketball teams as well as seen part of a track & field meet. At 11, he is more of a Nebraska fan than I was at the age. He was born during the Pelini years and really became more focused on what football was during the Riley years, unfortunately. He runs 5Ks and plays baseball and basketball, so he is focused on those much more at this age, too. When we can, we listen to and/or watch all of these on the radio/tv.

All he has known because of his age is the Miles era in basketball. He thought it was cool when Miles talked to him in KC at the Sprint Center this season, but he knows when he sees an offense that is not sure what to do. Last night, in the first half, he even said it before I did..."Looks like it's time to drive helplessly to the basket or fire up a forced shot." If that part of the game plan had been fixed before Copeland went down, this team would have made the tournament without him. And if that part of the game plan had been established, part of the mental aspect of the game would have been able to work itself out on the court with easy shots through the game plan.

Success can be had in Nebraska athletics...not just football. We are All N.

Before we had the practice facility and the PBA, I believed that it was just too hard to win here. Now, I believe that you should win here. Yeah, Nebraska doesn’t have a ton of talent to draw from, but for f***s sake, you only need to find 3 guys a year who can play. 3 guys...in the entire country. You can even completely miss on one of them and still build a good roster. This isn’t football where we need 25 guys every year. I think sometimes our history of losing gets in our heads.

What I think you are failing to understand is it’s not about a big fish, it’s about the right fish. 2.2 million wasn’t chicken feed, and our fan support, conference affiliation and facilities should have gotten us further along than they did. Miles was seen by many as an excellent hire, a guy with plenty of upside going forward.

If you look at maybe 10 of the most popular names bantered around on here, there are certainly some that could be gotten for around that number, and I’d be stunned if they didn’t put a better product on the court. The top 4 or 5 will cost more, and I have no doubt we are fine with getting close to doubling that number for an Altman or Hoiberg. When Self said thanks, but no thanks, it wasn’t a money issue, it was an ‘I’m going to get a better offer at a place I want to be’ issue. It takes more than just green, we need the right guy who wants to build something in Lincoln Nebraska.

The right guy, but who is it? I really doubt Altman is coming to Lincoln, unless he wants to get back to the state and end his career here. Hoiberg or Lue if they come will only be here short term if they are successful. They will bolt at the first opportunity that is better. Frankly I have a hard time seeing any coach that has had some real big time success wanting to build something at Nebraska long term. Which leaves you with the top assistant/up and coming mid major guy.

I wonder if maybe our guy is already here. I read where Michael Lewis' name thrown out here. It definitely would be taking a risk. I just don't know about this. Definitely would be worrisome

I really doubt Altman is coming to Lincoln

I doubt it as well and I hope he never comes here. :Thumbsdown: Didn't he cry and whine something about the HUSKERS when he was @ krayton? Stay away Altman.

A few names have been put out on here but I could see Moos having someone, "in mind/already talked to", that isn't even on our radar.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back