• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Damian

I am an elite veteran. So don’t go there. I wasn’t dissing him. I was giving props to the head coach for bring the right culture that was sorely lacking; even with a top notch inspirational leader in Damien.

What a piece of work you are. Do you attack everything you don’t grasp or understand?
An elite veteran of what? Message boards?

I went through the year holding HCSF accountable for some poor decisions. I do think, however, that he gets the first year as a pass to learn, grow, adapt, instill, correct, mature, recruit, hire, etc etc.

Not sure that S & C was as bad as he says, or if it is/was a play to generate some elevated efforts. I hadn't thought of it before now as an excuse, if that's what you're implying. I hesitate to comment without being sure I understand your comment.
Yes, it could be interpreted as an excuse. Apparently, we were recruiting midgets before he got here. I'm a big SF fan but he does not walk on water.

Last edited:
He went down an arbitrary amount. Granted I would fall on my ... with that weight. How does one compare one player to another?

They’ve been doing them too long for that. But Duval doesn’t want the kids to fear failure so they don’t worry about form too much. I get it, it’s a mental thing.
I remember a workout philosophy that expo uses entire workouts be minimal range of motion with maximum weight which ignites big muscle growth -Power Factor Training, I believe. It said just going down a few inches activates muscles to grow and by using max weights and many reps, you’ll grow more than doing full range weight lifting. I tried it and it was a butt kicker and it did promote muscle gains. Look it up some time.

I am an elite veteran. So don’t go there. I wasn’t dissing him. I was giving props to the head coach for bring the right culture that was sorely lacking; even with a top notch inspirational leader in Damien.

What a piece of work you are. Do you attack everything you don’t grasp or understand?
I totally understood the point you were making. It seemed appropriate and wasn’t a slam at Damien at all. I would say the S&C just needed a kick in the butt after Riley seemed to let guys do whatever they wanted and didn’t seem to care whether they did workouts at all apparently.

I remember a workout philosophy that expo uses entire workouts be minimal range of motion with maximum weight which ignites big muscle growth -Power Factor Training, I believe. It said just going down a few inches activates muscles to grow and by using max weights and many reps, you’ll grow more than doing full range weight lifting. I tried it and it was a butt kicker and it did promote muscle gains. Look it up some time.
I’m aware of it, it’s what we are doing, and it’s why I’m concerned. But that horse has been beaten and I’m over it.

Last edited:

The method works for muscle hypertrophy, but has major downsides when used as part of a sport related S&C program. Reduced strength through a joints range of motion, potential reduction in range of motion, limited 'useful' strength when playing sports or performing a physical activity outside of the limited range weight training and higher potential for soft or connective tissue injury when a joint is subsequently used in it's full or an increased range of motion under stress. I don't know if that's what Duvall is doing or not since I haven't seen an entire workout on video. I'd actually love to be able to watch him put the guys through their paces for a day. Theories in the S&C world are ever changing and I'm sure he's got some tricks up his sleeve I haven't even heard of before.

An elite veteran of what? Message boards?

USMC. 0311 Infantry Squad leader. Veteran of the gulf war and Somalia conflict. Stationed on the USS Wasp for 2 straight years on high alert with Marine Medium Helicopter squadron 263. 12 successful combat missions. Received the Navy Commondation and Purple Heart. Given to me at sea by Colin Powell, which of course I have a picture of should you want to see it.
I’ve killed and watched men die. Is that elite enough for you?

The method works for muscle hypertrophy, but has major downsides when used as part of a sport related S&C program. Reduced strength through a joints range of motion, potential reduction in range of motion, limited 'useful' strength when playing sports or performing a physical activity outside of the limited range weight training and higher potential for soft or connective tissue injury when a joint is subsequently used in it's full or an increased range of motion under stress. I don't know if that's what Duvall is doing or not since I haven't seen an entire workout on video. I'd actually love to be able to watch him put the guys through their paces for a day. Theories in the S&C world are ever changing and I'm sure he's got some tricks up his sleeve I haven't even heard of before.

Never being a lifter I don't know much about it. What you and others have said makes me think Duval knows, or should know this. If he's having them lift like this isn't there something they can do other days to counteract things like 'limited range of motion'? Just curious.

That may be a Jackson, but Damian Jackson is the guy spotting right behind the lifter, wearing the red "D. Jackson" t-shirt. :)
My bad. One fuzzy faced dude looks like another to me.

:Rolf: This makes me think of my "DUH" moments. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :Rolf:

Not laughing at you personally, huskerman1, just laughing...mainly at myself.

Never being a lifter I don't know much about it. What you and others have said makes me think Duval knows, or should know this. If he's having them lift like this isn't there something they can do other days to counteract things like 'limited range of motion'? Just curious.

I don't think they're doing it as a day in, day out method of weight training at all. To be clear, they aren't lifting in preparation for power lifting meets, so they don't have to follow a certain form for a lift to 'count'. He's more than likely doing what he's doing as has been suggested for a psychological bump for the kids.

There are so many different methods and mindsets when it comes to weight training and proponents of all of them are convinced 'their' method is the best. Some things about each are good, some not so good and every single body reacts at least a little differently to resistance training technique, frequency, etc.

USMC. 0311 Infantry Squad leader. Veteran of the gulf war and Somalia conflict. Stationed on the USS Wasp for 2 straight years on high alert with Marine Medium Helicopter squadron 263. 12 successful combat missions. Received the Navy Commondation and Purple Heart. Given to me at sea by Colin Powell, which of course I have a picture of should you want to see it.
I’ve killed and watched men die. Is that elite enough for you?
That's elite enough for me. Thanks for your service.

I don't think they're doing it as a day in, day out method of weight training at all. To be clear, they aren't lifting in preparation for power lifting meets, so they don't have to follow a certain form for a lift to 'count'. He's more than likely doing what he's doing as has been suggested for a psychological bump for the kids.

There are so many different methods and mindsets when it comes to weight training and proponents of all of them are convinced 'their' method is the best. Some things about each are good, some not so good and every single body reacts at least a little differently to resistance training technique, frequency, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Crab. :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me Crab. :)

I don't know how much I cleared up, but you're welcome.

I do have a lot of experience in weight training myself and I get the other side of it when my Physical Therapist wife tells me the horror stories of people who don't do things the 'right' way.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back