• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nash Hutmacher: Will Make His Decision in July

One guy...surely you don't want to debate money in wrestling vs. money in the NFL. If the kid wants to wrestle great, but if you have the talent and you want a secure future, I'd stick with football.
We can definitely debate future health between the two. Ugly ears not nearly as bad as being unable to walk and high suicide rates. My point is there are a lot of places to go after a successful wrestling career. Especially for a dominant heavyweight. Brock Lesnar is no pauper. This kid is pretty much tailor made for the WWE. Maybe even the UFC. All common follow ups to wrestling. If you become an Olympic Champ you can make a lot of money. There are literally more OL who end up broke after NFL careers then there are guys who make a ton of money. Mainly because OL end up paying as much to treat old injuries as they receive in salary.

Not saying he should not try to get to the NFL. Just that OL are not QBs. Just that they often do not make enough to cover their post play medical bills.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but for college, wrestling is cool if that's his passion. But if he develops he's got a great chance at making millions in the NFL. With wrestling...you get nothing but bad ears.

Disagree

200.gif

Lol what?
https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-...ayers-go-broke-and-what-you-can-learn-2017-10
Sports Illustrated once estimated that 78 percent of NFL players end up broke or under financial stress after they retire. In an interview with NerdWallet, Owens and his friend Eric Dickerson, the Hall of Fame running back most famous for his time with the Los Angeles Rams, talked about their experiences and what young athletes should know about building a solid financial future.
Athletes can be so dazzled by the money coming that they don't consider the day when it will stop, Dickerson says. Also consider that what an NFL player is promised in a contract is often far more than he actually earns, Dickerson says, as careers may be shortened by injuries or getting cut from a team.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighs...of-retired-nfl-players-go-broke/#53132f7478cc
https://nypost.com/2014/12/14/how-the-nfl-leaves-players-broken-and-broke/
“More than 4,500 living players maintain that they have symptoms of football-related brain damage. That’s nearly a quarter of all living NFL alumni,” the authors write, later adding that “former players are over five times more likely than other men their age to suffer from dementia.”

But brain injuries are just one part of the problem, as an NFL career ravages not just the brain, but the body.

“Nine out of 10 former players wake up each day to nagging aches and pains that they attribute to football. About eight in 10 report that the pain lasts most of the day. Among younger retirees aged 30 to 49, one third say their work lives are limited in some way by the after-effects of injury,” write the authors. “Retired players are much less likely than their age peers in the general population to rate their health as excellent or good, and nearly 30% of NFL retirees rate their health as only ‘fair’ or ‘poor.’”

The league’s younger alumni, age 30 to 49, are “five times as likely” as their non-NFL age counterparts to have problems with mobility and strength, from walking stairs to lifting objects, and 15 percent of this group are “unable to work as a result of football-related disabilities.”
That's what. Not LOL

Two things can be true at once:
1) NFL players (regardless of position) do vastly outearn wrestlers on average. I'm not aware of any comparison studies that have been done, but I think we can stipulate that fact.

2) Earning tons of money before age 30 does not necessarily set you up for life, especially if you make the mistakes outlined in the Forbes article you posted.

We can definitely debate future health between the two. Ugly ears not nearly as bad as being unable to walk and high suicide rates. My point is there are a lot of places to go after a successful wrestling career. Especially for a dominant heavyweight. Brock Lesnar is no pauper. This kid is pretty much tailor made for the WWE. Maybe even the UFC. All common follow ups to wrestling. If you become an Olympic Champ you can make a lot of money. There are literally more OL who end up broke after NFL careers then there are guys who make a ton of money. Mainly because OL end up paying as much to treat old injuries as they receive in salary.

Not saying he should not try to get to the NFL. Just that OL are not QBs. Just that they often do not make enough to cover their post play medical bills.

Players are paid very well, but there's risk. You think wrestlers, boxers, octagon fighters don't have long term chronic health issues? Heck even fake wrestlers whine about the long term injuries they suffer with. The top 27 0-Lineman made over 10M in 18. The average salary is probably upwards of 5M a year. If you can get 4 years in the NFL with today's salary you dwarf what almost anyone in wrestling can earn. There's always the exception but the money is in the NFL. Today's NFL players are also protected and pensioned after 3 years. This isn't the 80's or 90's anymore.

Now, if you can, play baseball or basketball. But if you want a secure future, the NFL >>>> Wrestling.

Last edited:
Two things can be true at once:
1) NFL players (regardless of position) do vastly outearn wrestlers on average. I'm not aware of any comparison studies that have been done, but I think we can stipulate that fact.

2) Earning tons of money before age 30 does not necessarily set you up for life, especially if you make the mistakes outlined in the Forbes article you posted.
No disagreement. My point is that expecting to become rich for life in any sport is a long shot.

Players are paid very well, but there's risk. You think wrestlers, boxers, octagon fighters don't have long term chronic health issues? Heck even fake wrestlers whine about the long term injuries they suffer with. The top 27 0-Lineman made over 10M in 18. The average salary is probably upwards of 5M a year. If you can get 4 years in the NFL with today's salary you dwarf what almost anyone in wrestling can earn. There's always the exception but the money is in the NFL. Today's NFL players are also protected and pensioned after 3 years. This isn't the 80's or 90's anymore.

Now, if you can, play baseball or basketball. But if you want a secure future, the NFL >>>> Wrestling.
Your first paragraph is mostly true. If you read the articles I posted secure future is not what the NFL is about. It is a candle that burns twice as bright situation. Wrestlers know they will not make that kind of cash. So they tend to hold on to what they got. If you are good enough to make the Olympics which he is. You can develop a secure future much like Jordan Burroughs has. Not to mention most high level coaching opportunities only go to top level wrestlers. I think Cael Sanderson is probably doing all right.

You posting articles about guys like Owens making 80 million dollars and blowing it all so he has to do reality shows is a much different argument than your original statement I LOL’d where you posted “you don’t make enough to pay your post play medical bills.” Now if your argument is they make plenty of money to pay their medical bills for five lifetimes, most are just morons with their money and blow it all, I agree.

Last edited:
Over on another board, they think he is a Wisconsin lean.
Okay, I'm curious: which board. I have numerous indirect connections to him (Chamberlain is about a little over an hour away), and I hadn't heard anything about Wisconsin from anyone around him. I'm curious why someone else is thinking Wisconsin is where he's leaning.

Well, I’m LOL’ing that we are comparing wrestling money to football. Also LOL’ing that not being able to pay medical bills isn’t because of the money earned, it’s how it’s spent when the NFL’ers get it. Terrell Owens (in your article you posted) not being able to pay his medical bills has zero to do with “not making enough to pay his medical bills” (your words), it has everything to do with being a moron with his money. He made enough to pay his medical bills for 10 lifetimes.
I would agree in most cases. I do recall watching reports of former NFL lineman who had specifically lost their money paying medical bills. I will admit however that a lot of those guys were players from the 70s and 80s when OL made squat. Not enough time has passed for players from the last 10 years or so to make the same statement.

For the record the real point I am making is that you should choose the sport that has your passion. IF this kid is more passionate about wrestling than football than he may make more money as a wrestler. Olympic stars make money if he is that good. Which it appears he may be. If his passion is in wrestling and not football then his chance of making the NFL are pretty slim.

I would agree in most cases. I do recall watching reports of former NFL lineman who had specifically lost their money paying medical bills. I will admit however that a lot of those guys were players from the 70s and 80s when OL made squat. Not enough time has passed for players from the last 10 years or so to make the same statement.

For the record the real point I am making is that you should choose the sport that has your passion. IF this kid is more passionate about wrestling than football than he may make more money as a wrestler. Olympic stars make money if he is that good. Which it appears he may be. If his passion is in wrestling and not football then his chance of making the NFL are pretty slim.
I’m with ya. I think money-wise football is 99/100 times going to be the play against wrestling. But football and wrestling both suck if you aren’t 100% invested in it.

I think it will be difficult for Nash to do both, especially in wrestling. Tanner Farmer was a 2-time 2A state champion in Illinois and he has done little as a NU wrestler.
You have to be an exceptional wrestler to be a starter on a football team and then transfer to wrestling and be a starter. And I have to wonder just how good the competition is in South Dakota. Obviously he is head and shoulders above his state competition but how will he do against wrestlers on the NU roster and in the B1G?
It will really depend on how driven he is to compete and win at both sports. It will be interesting to see.

I think it will be difficult for Nash to do both, especially in wrestling. Tanner Farmer was a 2-time 2A state champion in Illinois and he has done little as a NU wrestler.
You have to be an exceptional wrestler to be a starter on a football team and then transfer to wrestling and be a starter. And I have to wonder just how good the competition is in South Dakota. Obviously he is head and shoulders above his state competition but how will he do against wrestlers on the NU roster and in the B1G?
It will really depend on how driven he is to compete and win at both sports. It will be interesting to see.
That is irrelevant he wrestles in tourney's all over the mid west.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back