• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley’s Reflections on Nebraska

I'd like Mike Riley if he was a random guy I ran into at the supermarket, but not so much coaching on the sidelines at NU.

"If you can reflect on it," Riley said, "you can maybe get better from the experience when you didn't exactly do as well as you wanted to. I hope it was helpful in that regard. And yes I have reflected on some things I would've done differently probably, but at the same time I try to just be thankful for it."

^^This is an o.k. thing for a 30-something year-old Mid Major coach to say after year number one of his first ever HC gig, but not something that will be taken well from a guy in the waning years of his career after he's produced the exact same results year after year after year.

Last edited:

Regardless of the outcome of his years here, he doesn't deserve the vitriol I've seen spewed on here about him. He is a gentleman and handled all the turmoil with grace and dignity. I truly believe he loved being here, and NOT just the money. I don't think he had ever been in an organization with the kind of fan support there is for NU. And his contributions to the program exist off the field - especially how he gave his love to the Foltz family as they grieved. Time for RDS (Riley Derangement Syndrome) to end.

Riley is a likeable guy. That likeability also translated to not having a backbone with his boss, though I don't believe he was capable of winning at the level required at NU under any circumstances.

I was pretty salty about the damage he did to something I really care about but am getting to the point of being over it. He took an opportunity that presented itself in a timely manner. It's hard to blame him for that.

It will take me longer, however, to be particularly forgiving toward Eichorst and Perlman.

We rode that roller coaster of Riley. Thanks for your time here at DONU. Glad you learned from it so did we. Enough said hip hip oh nevermind

I think blaming Riley is misplaced. The blame falls on Eichorst. Riley should never have been hired in the first place. I don't think MR tried to purposely damage the program. He jumped at a big opportunity like most of us would do and then he proceeded to do what he's always done. Unfortunately it was way below OUR standards.

I'm just glad Frost is here now.

Last edited:

Some fans...

the-pound-of-flesh-tis-mine-and-i-will-have-29442942.png

C

I think blaming Riley is misplaced. The blame falls on Eichorst. Riley should never have been hired in the first place. I don't think MR tried to purposely damage the program. He jumped at a big opportunity like most of us would do and then he proceeded to do what he's always done. Unfortunately it was WAY BELOW our standards.

I'm just glad Frost is here now.

Nailed it!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back