• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

IWCC Center Josh Wegener is N Walk-On

Interesting. If he can stay healthy what a find and a walk on to boot. Hope it helps open the line between IWCC and NU

May have something to do with his original plan. He wasn't going to show up right off the bat because the coaches encouraged him to wait a bit to get the better academic scholarships (he had a 4.0 in JUCO) and to rehab his foot (he had ligament surgery)

http://waynedailynews.com/huskers-n...-of-23-including-3-of-4-targets-on-wednesday/

not clear from the article, but it sounds like he didn't do a signing ceremony (whatever that means for walk-ons) and maybe he just did it now?

May have something to do with his original plan. He wasn't going to show up right off the bat because the coaches encouraged him to wait a bit to get the better academic scholarships (he had a 4.0 in JUCO) and to rehab his foot (he had ligament surgery)

http://waynedailynews.com/huskers-n...-of-23-including-3-of-4-targets-on-wednesday/

not clear from the article, but it sounds like he didn't do a signing ceremony (whatever that means for walk-ons) and maybe he just did it now?

Based on Sams tweet it looks like its just an updated story on him walking-on at Nebraska

World herald has been doing stories on a bunch of the walk-ons, I am guessing to fill space. Still nice that those kids get a 'moment in the sun' so to speak.

World herald has been doing stories on a bunch of the walk-ons, I am guessing to fill space. Still nice that those kids get a 'moment in the sun' so to speak.

Agree 100% and no issue with this thread. Just wanted to point out he committed a month ago to keep it in context

Oh and more

sounds like he's got 3 years to play 2, but I cant see why him playing 9 games at a secondary position would make him the #1 center in all of Juco land. That doesnt seem to add up. Who knows, maybe he is, lets hope he is that diamond in the waiting stage, i get why all the injuries have kept suitors away.

Being the #1 Juco center seems like a big deal especially given that it is a short term area of need for us (assuming Jergens takes over this role at some point). Also, it seems like center is a line position that's more cerebral than some others and this guy has a good gpa and must play smart to win that award. Do others on this board think he will be fighting for significant playing time?

So if he did accept the academic schollie and NU thinks he factors in the equation for playing time this fall, the coaches would have to save an "attrition spot" for him to be placed on a football scholarship. However, if he redshirts, then begins playing as a senior, he could be maintained as a walk-on for his entire career due to the academic aid. Really a no lose situation for all involved.

sounds like he's got 3 years to play 2, but I cant see why him playing 9 games at a secondary position would make him the #1 center in all of Juco land. That doesnt seem to add up. Who knows, maybe he is, lets hope he is that diamond in the waiting stage, i get why all the injuries have kept suitors away.
Injuries and size have kept people away. Also why I’m confused with the #1 JUCO ranking from a rivals site when he has zero stars from them.

Interesting. If he can stay healthy what a find and a walk on to boot. Hope it helps open the line between IWCC and NU

Ya, that boot thing. Hope he's out of the boot early enough to allow him to get in the shape he'll need to be in to hit the ground running in June. But if he's not - no schollie burned - and Husker medical/training staff can get him right. Sound like he got the smarts to play center (4.0 student). I like this move. 3 years to play 2; walking on, so mostly upside and very little downside.

If everything written about him is true he’s going to push for playing time and if he’s good enough he’ll get it with this staff.

I forgot all about this kid when have been discussing the center issue. Will be interesting to see if he really competes to be the starter

So if he did accept the academic schollie and NU thinks he factors in the equation for playing time this fall, the coaches would have to save an "attrition spot" for him to be placed on a football scholarship. However, if he redshirts, then begins playing as a senior, he could be maintained as a walk-on for his entire career due to the academic aid. Really a no lose situation for all involved.

I'm confused. I thought an academic scholarship counted the same as an athletic scholarship toward the total.

(There was another thread on this months ago)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back