• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #18, (L, 70-64), Thu, 1/17 vs Michigan State (#3) (15-2) (6-0), @ PBA, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Just like Monday, it's frustrating to see Nebraska jack up so many threes. Six point loss while missing 15 three point attempts in a row. Change that up a little to get a few better looks to change the outcome of the game. Love the effort and never die attitude.

Hasn’t the true Nebraska offense been pass the ball around the three point line for 30 seconds, then jack up a bad long shot? Seems like it.

Final Stats:

upload_2019-1-17_20-46-45.png

LMAO
What is wrong with husker fans? 3 days before, we all destroy a top 25 team on their court and we are a top 25 team possibly to many. 3 days later we have an off night against a top 10 team and lose by 6 and suddenly we are an NIT team at best according to experts on here LOL.
Look guys, basektball is not consistent like football. If you dont understand that, pick another sport. We had an off shooting night and MSU came to play D. Yea we shot too many 3s, but did you see how many times palmer and others TRIED to take it to the rim and couldnt because the #6 team int the countries D is THAT good.
Im disappointed, but the fact is that the committee will see that we blew out INDIANA on their court by 15 and then came home and lost to the #6 team in the country at home by 6. Big deal, we should lose to MSU at home in a close game, as we are not a top 15 team.
Where we are right now is where we are suppose to be. We had 4 really tough games on the road against top 30 teams and were able to steal 1 in big time fashion. We lost to the #6 team in the country as we should at home in a close game and we beat a PSU team at home even if it wasnt real pretty. WE destroy Creighton at home and beat two really really good teams in Clemson and SEton hall away from PBA.
Yes there are things to be concerned about, and yet just 4 days ago we saw a team that can play at a top 20 level.
We have a great chance to go on a big time run now and hope we do.
One thing I saw last night that I hope tim Miles points out to his team is this................if we had played with that kind of defensive intensity all year...........we would have 2 less losses on our hand and be in a much different position. Play D like that everynight and we will win a lot of games and just lose a few when we have off nights. But Boy we sure could use just ONE guy off the bench to bring some scoring to the table
GBR

Last edited:
STOP BEING POSITIVE, THE PENDULUM HAS ALREADY SWUNG!

MSU did not enjoy playing last night - Nebraska played them so hard. From Borchardt literally throwing Ward around under the basket to Allen and Watson pestering the ball handlers. Good effort, but no shots would fall. Watching the warmup before the game and at halftime - Nebraska wasn't hitting shots. Guys that normally hit three after three were missing - Nana missed nine 3's in a row, Costello didn't hit one while I was watching. It was bizarre. And Palmer's shots... some were boneheaded, but should have gone down. And Copeland's outside shots were good too. Maybe Nebraska wins one one the road.

I don't know what was wrong with PBA, but it didn't feel like a big game game we were going to help win beforehand, it felt like a game we were going to watch Nebraska lose. Late arriving crowd didn't help. I'm blaming the fans.

Two asides - Poor Brady Heiman... someone opens the door and he gets blown out of the lane. How about Amir Harris getting a steal when he's about to pass out?

To @GIFFRO''s point - Dachon Burke would make Allen a super spark off the bench. Too bad he's not eligible this year.

3 days before, we all destroy a top 25 team on their court and we are a top 25 team possibly to many.

Big deal. I haven't seen anything from Miles teams to make me think a good win is all of a sudden going to make Miles a good coach. It's close to time for him to leave.

The bummer in all this is that I really like Miles and wish he could do a better job.

6-21 shooting by Palmer isn’t going to get you anywhere other than a NIT bubble
And if he doesn’t hit a few late when many thought it was garbage time, he finishes the game shooting about 17%. Seriously, if he’s my teammate, and I’m working my butt off playing good D, getting steals, and wrestling those beasts in the lane, all so he can heave up another brick, I’m slapping the snot out of him in the locker room. I’d rather we worked to get Copeland and Allen more looks. This again is one of the big flaws in the offense. It’s all about screening the ball, and that’s in the hands of Copeland and Watson 70% of the time. 34 shots, and only 4 assists. I’d make everyone watch that film again, see if we had guys open when Watson and Palmer were clanking up shots, and if not then I’d ask the 4 guys standing and watching what the heck they were doing to get each other open.

Giffro can feel like this was a very competitive game, and it was in most regards. But what I don’t think he realizes is it almost didn’t need to be, we actually could have won comfortably if we’d just played at the level of basketball that we have the athletes to do. We are leaving wins on the table, and most smart basketball minds are recognizing that.

STOP BEING POSITIVE, THE PENDULUM HAS ALREADY SWUNG!

MSU did not enjoy playing last night - Nebraska played them so hard. From Borchardt literally throwing Ward around under the basket to Allen and Watson pestering the ball handlers. Good effort, but no shots would fall. Watching the warmup before the game and at halftime - Nebraska wasn't hitting shots. Guys that normally hit three after three were missing - Nana missed nine 3's in a row, Costello didn't hit one while I was watching. It was bizarre. And Palmer's shots... some were boneheaded, but should have gone down. And Copeland's outside shots were good too. Maybe Nebraska wins one one the road.

I don't know what was wrong with PBA, but it didn't feel like a big game game we were going to help win beforehand, it felt like a game we were going to watch Nebraska lose. Late arriving crowd didn't help. I'm blaming the fans.

Two asides - Poor Brady Heiman... someone opens the door and he gets blown out of the lane. How about Amir Harris getting a steal when he's about to pass out?

To @GIFFRO''s point - Dachon Burke would make Allen a super spark off the bench. Too bad he's not eligible this year.

We were in it near the end, that's all you can ask for IMO. Just swing a few of the 3's our way and it's a whole different ball game. They were banking them in off the glass, while ours bounced out 3/4 of the way time after time. Awesome game against a very good team. GBR.

And if he doesn’t hit a few late when many thought it was garbage time, he finishes the game shooting about 17%. Seriously, if he’s my teammate, and I’m working my butt off playing good D, getting steals, and wrestling those beasts in the lane, all so he can heave up another brick, I’m slapping the snot out of him in the locker room. I’d rather we worked to get Copeland and Allen more looks. This again is one of the big flaws in the offense. It’s all about screening the ball, and that’s in the hands of Copeland and Watson 70% of the time. 34 shots, and only 4 assists. I’d make everyone watch that film again, see if we had guys open when Watson and Palmer were clanking up shots, and if not then I’d ask the 4 guys standing and watching what the heck they were doing to get each other open.

Giffro can feel like this was a very competitive game, and it was in most regards. But what I don’t think he realizes is it almost didn’t need to be, we actually could have won comfortably if we’d just played at the level of basketball that we have the athletes to do. We are leaving wins on the table, and most smart basketball minds are recognizing that.
In the post game presser that I watched on BTN, Miles even said he didn't like the team's shot selection. He didn't expound and wasn't asked for more details. When Nebraska is playing the kind of defense that holds the B1G's #1 scoring offense to 16 points below its scoring average, taking advantage of the opportunities within the context of the game are exactly what wins the game. And MSU only outrebounding Nebraska by 4. I know several shots went in and out, but better shot selection can help change the outcome.

Metrics expected us to lose a close game, which is what happened. Our 3 pt % was attrocious. Metrics slide us a little downward to a low-7 seed instead of a low-6 seed. But, still very likely to get enough wins to make the Big Dance.

Projected record: 22-9

upload_2019-1-18_10-17-40.png

Funny stuff.
I do realize all of that, what you dont realize is that we didnt shoot well in many instances because MSU is that good. Just like we shot bad against TT awhile back and they are now a top ten team. When we play top ten teams with top ten talent, our percentage will drop because we are playing a different talent level. Their D was all over palmer and Watson and they struggle because of it. And they also struggled, at least in Watsons case, because of the effort it took on D to guard Winston.
Like I said earlier in our disagreements, I dont think TM is anything better than an average coach at best.
Also what you dont seem realize is that we arent Duke. We arent good enough to compete with top 5 teams consistantly. Is that surprising to you? You expect this team to do that? We lost by 6 to a top 5 team basically, a few days after blowing out a top 25 team on the road.
We have clear issues. We are coached average on offense. We dont play with the needed defensive intenstity all the time. We dont have a big man. We dont have any bench scoring at all. And i also think, we lack some of the confidence needed to win tough games at times. We get outcoached times when we play coaches like Izzo.........
Despite all of that, we are about where I expected this team to be. Maybe a win shy of it.
Its disappointing we dont play better against top tier talent, but we arent that program right now. We arent going to hit shots like we would like when we play top 5 teams. But we showed tonight we arent that far off.
i guess after all of these years of bad play, Im excited that we are so close rather than whining because we arent quite there yet.
If you expected us to play at a top 10 level, youll never be happy this season.
Yet I do get that at times its frustrating and we expect better. I do too. But until we actually become a powerhouse program, then yea........we are going to be inconsistant against top 10 teams.

Last edited:

Funny stuff.
I do realize all of that, what you dont realize is that we didnt shoot well in many instances because MSU is that good. Just like we shot bad against TT awhile back and they are now a top ten team. When we play top ten teams with top ten talent, our percentage will drop because we are playing a different talent level. Their D was all over palmer and Watson and they struggle because of it. And they also struggled, at least in Watsons case, because of the effort it took on D to guard Winston.
Like I said earlier in our disagreements, I dont think TM is anything better than an average coach at best.
Also what you dont seem realize is that we arent Duke. We arent good enough to compete with top 5 teams consistantly. Is that surprising to you? You expect this team to do that? We lost by 6 to a top 5 team basically, a few days after blowing out a top 25 team on the road.
We have clear issues. We are coached average on offense. We dont play with the needed defensive intenstity all the time. We dont have a big man. We dont have any bench scoring at all. And i also think, we lack some of the confidence needed to win tough games at times. We get outcoached times when we play coaches like Izzo.........
Despite all of that, we are about where I expected this team to be. Maybe a win shy of it.
Its disappointing we dont play better against top tier talent, but we arent that program right now. We arent going to hit shots like we would like when we play top 5 teams. But we showed tonight we arent that far off.
i guess after all of these years of bad play, Im excited that we are so close rather than whining because we arent quite there yet.
If you expected us to play at a top 10 level, youll never be happy this season.
Yet I do get that at times its frustrating and we expect better. I do too. But until we actually become a powerhouse program, then yea........we are going to be inconsistant against top 10 teams.

I agree. I think the missing pieces in last nights game was bench strength and a true big. I was pleasantly surprised with how the hung with MSU. Great effort.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back