• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Captain and Coke with ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness we have Duval, a real professional, building these athletes rather than the last clown who let the S&C program crash and burn for 3 years. It's hard to get hurt if you don't lift hard or play hard....pretty easy to be "healthy" (but soft) when you skip workouts anytime you feel like it.

And thank God we have competent people running the football program and athletic department who will allow the strength coach to run the S&C program.

Great write up ***. Thank you for the Q&A afterwards also. Great stuff to ponder while we watch everybody else go bowling again this year. Since the coaches and players have had one year together hopefully the S&C concerns that you and others have expressed will work themselves out.
At the end of the day, Moos and Frost being all in on what we are doing in S&C is all that matters. The previous 3 years had the coaches telling our S&C staff guys needed to take breaks and sit out, and then our administration telling our S&C to scale things back to the players. So when you have 2 layers telling you to give kids days off and/or scale things back, you rarely get where you want. We won't have that anymore. We are going to be dominant again with what's going on. However, if we don't stop these injuries that stunt development, the walk-on program will be as important as it ever has been.

But what about the squat machines?

That devious John Cook

:Deadhorse:
lol, I think I figured those out. And they aren't "squat machines". But they are something to prevent injuries that our S&C staff openly mocked, so there is some interesting things going on. I'm just glad we are trying to remedy things rather than staying stuck 30 years ago.

Will need a little help deciphering here.[/QUOTE

Sorry, fat thumbs and they NyQuil was in full effect...

You original post said, "I just don't think it's fair to go there, and Washington needs to stick with who he is (and get healthy, another knee, yuck)."

I get what you are saying. Things happen. But UCF claims to have had zero in 2017. Until Harrison Phillips blew his knee out at Stanford their S&C team had not had a season ending injury in 4 years. I would lean to thinking like you, where injuries happen. We just have to eliminate the season ending ones. Kids are gonna get knicked up.
Do you attribute knee and ankle injuries to S&C issues? Thise seem unavoidable to me.

Well, I don't know a S&C regiment that can prevent rolling your ankle. I know plenty that have been created that focus on injury prevention and not creating imbalances. It's not a coincidence that single sport people once they start just focusing one one thing start creating issues within their body if they are in the wrong workout routine. If a kid has an issue when he gets to your program, or if you create an issue for a kid based on your routine, it exponentially increases their chances of major injuries, especially to joints and the knee. Stanford's S&C program won't even let newcomers touch a weight for at least a month in some cases to "work out the bugs from imbalances in an effort to maximize injury prevention." If they just got them into lifting instantly without evaluating, it could be detrimental to development.

lol, I think I figured those out. And they aren't "squat machines". But they are something to prevent injuries that our S&C staff openly mocked, so there is some interesting things going on. I'm just glad we are trying to remedy things rather than staying stuck 30 years ago.

So what are these magic machines and does John Cook keep them locked in a closet?

Well, I don't know a S&C regiment that can prevent rolling your ankle. I know plenty that have been created that focus on injury prevention and not creating imbalances. It's not a coincidence that single sport people once they start just focusing one one thing start creating issues within their body if they are in the wrong workout routine. If a kid has an issue when he gets to your program, or if you create an issue for a kid based on your routine, it exponentially increases their chances of major injuries, especially to joints and the knee. Stanford's S&C program won't even let newcomers touch a weight for at least a month in some cases to "work out the bugs from imbalances in an effort to maximize injury prevention." If they just got them into lifting instantly without evaluating, it could be detrimental to development.
I kind of understand why the staff started out this year like they did even though I don't agree with it. The number one predictor of an injury is a previous injury, the number two predictor is an asymmetry or imbalance, so you can definitely help avoid those knee injuries

Had a nice chat with Mill's recruiter @ GT the other day... they really really liked the kid and hated that they had to cut him loose after the 3rd weed positive test. Seems he has completely turned things around. If he is healthy he is super talented and I am very excited about him running inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back