• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Urban Meyer DONE

I thought that Meyer would leave, but not for the reasons everyone else is stating. He is smart enough to know that his reign at the top of the conference was going to end soon with Scott Frost leading the Huskers. He probably thought he had 2-3 year, but it happened sooner than expected due to the scare the Big Red gave the Buckeyes this year.

Saban will also figure it out soon. Expect his retirement announcement around this time next year when Nebraska is selected as one of the 4 playoff teams. He doesn't want his legacy tarnished, either.

I almost feel bad for these guys, but it was really nice of Nebraska to give some other teams a shot over the last couple decades. Good folks, those Nebraskans, but it's time to reclaim our spot at the top.

Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley will do well...for a time. The proof is in season 3 or 4 and beyond.

Just ask Frankie. Hard to follow a legend.

:to::fs:

I can see Greg Schiano moving on, maybe back to the NFL as a DC. Maybe to some mid-major as a HC. I know he has some baggage that kept him from the Tennesee job, but someone may take a flyer on him. Don't know how long Larry Johnson is going to be there, just checked and he is 66, will be 67 before the start of next season. You know Kevin Wilson isn't going to want to be just a DC for the rest of his life.

Moving the top assistant up to the HC job only works out some of the time. Lincoln Riley is still playing with Big Game Bob's players essentially. He seems like he is going to be successful, but lets wait to year 4 before we know for sure. TO and JoPa are 2 big successes but there are plenty of others that didn't succeed.

Wilson is/was co-OC in charge of the passing game. He was impressive in his time at Indiana but got chased out for being verbally abusive to players. He'll get another shot somewhere, but his resume might be something that an NFL head coach with a defensive background would want to hire to run his offense. Otherwise, he'll have to go to some mid-tier school to resurrect his reputation as a head coach.

I agree with Schiano being likely to leave, especially coaching for someone so much younger. The Tennessee brouhaha was mostly b.s. The fans and alums didn't like the hire so they used insinuations about what he might have known at Penn State as an excuse to chase him off.

Last edited:
I think the final straw was the suspension. There were quite a few inside reports that he felt they threw him under the bus. That is why they couldn't fire him over it. They had a knee jerk reaction to it and after they went through the investigation and found out it had been reported to Gene Smith, that his wife held the primary responsibility of reporting it, and the police couldn't find evidence showed that rash judgement to unfairly drop the majority of the blame on him. He supposedly told people at the time he didn't want to work for this administration anymore. I'm guessing we see him coaching someplace again someday.

I can see Greg Schiano moving on, maybe back to the NFL as a DC. Maybe to some mid-major as a HC. I know he has some baggage that kept him from the Tennesee job, but someone may take a flyer on him. Don't know how long Larry Johnson is going to be there, just checked and he is 66, will be 67 before the start of next season. You know Kevin Wilson isn't going to want to be just a DC for the rest of his life.

Moving the top assistant up to the HC job only works out some of the time. Lincoln Riley is still playing with Big Game Bob's players essentially. He seems like he is going to be successful, but lets wait to year 4 before we know for sure. TO and JoPa are 2 big successes but there are plenty of others that didn't succeed.

Let's not forget Lincoln Riley's ace in the hole...err, achilles heel - that stress-absorbing defensive strategist-turned OLB Coach Bob Diaco. :nod:

Last edited:
Well, finishing 5th in the BCS will give you headaches!
Especially when you are a 1 loss P5 conf champ, and you lose out to another 1 loss P5 champ in a lesser conf.

I thought that Meyer would leave, but not for the reasons everyone else is stating. He is smart enough to know that his reign at the top of the conference was going to end soon with Scott Frost leading the Huskers. He probably thought he had 2-3 year, but it happened sooner than expected due to the scare the Big Red gave the Buckeyes this year.

Saban will also figure it out soon. Expect his retirement announcement around this time next year when Nebraska is selected as one of the 4 playoff teams. He doesn't want his legacy tarnished, either.

I almost feel bad for these guys, but it was really nice of Nebraska to give some other teams a shot over the last couple decades. Good folks, those Nebraskans, but it's time to reclaim our spot at the top.

I like your thinking.

Some college basketball coach said, just after signing his contract, "I've already been fired; they just have to fill in the dates."
Here's hoping Frost outlasts Day and Riley tenure-wise.

After Clay Helton gets fired next year and Urb takes a year off while eating some homeopathic Papa John's, I'm sure he'll be ready to coach again in the Pac-12.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back