• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

IT'S That Time Of Year, Again! MBB Game #0 (Exhibition), (75-40), Thu, 11/1 vs Wayne State, @ PBA

hard to take away anything concrete from an exhibition. lots of weird lineups and rotations so i expect things to be somewhat disjointed.....but still. Watching this game felt like a giant shrug of the shoulders. I want to believe that NU bball can turn a corner, but I didn't see anything tonight that would generate any hype. NU had vastly superior athletes, but nothing NU does on the offensive end comes easy. There is no flow to any of it. The spacing is still bad. guys standing around while 1 player goes 1 on 1, dribbling head first into double teams. 3 point shots are never taken from a pass inside out. Nebraska shot 15% from 3. 4 for 26. thats ridiculous. offense still looked like the same scatterbrain randomness that I've seen this entire Miles era. I'll cross my fingers that Palmer can get hot and score 30+ night in/night out. if he doesn't, then I'm afraid the results won't be any different this year.

Last edited:
Huskers win, 75-40 :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:
index.php

When Wayne State out shoots you from 3 point land, against what is supposed to be far better defense and better athletes, you know you have a pretty serious problem. We have basically zero guys who can catch, create and fire up a three with any consistency. I believe if we are going to have any success shooting beyond the arc, we need those guys to be in a catch and shoot situation, or coming off solid screens. We simply aren't the kind of shooters who can do some stupid rocker move, do a jab step, pull back and shoot with someone in their faces. They like to think they are, and i'm sure on occasion, those prayers might get answered, but at this point, it's only on a 4-26 basis.

This is one of my fears with Miles, is he doesn't have enough structure to get good, open looks when the ball isn't dropping. Even good shooting teams have games they have to fall back on some kind of basic play that gives a guy a good look. When you hit a couple of those, that's when others may fall because the confidence and rhythm start to flow. I haven't seen that kind of thinking since Tim became coach.

I went to the game - one of the dozens. Amir Harris is like a younger Evan Taylor - he's going full intensity all the time. Harris is also taller and has a better shot, maybe more explosive and better handle. Nana Akenten is playing with a lot of hustle as well. I think Amir is ready to play in the Big 10, not sure about Nana. Heiman is going to get pushed around at times, but he has a good sense of the game and didn't fall into typical "big-man-using-body-wrong" fouls. He is a decent offensive rebounder.

Palmer had a bad game... he was just out of sync. Copeland looked like his outside shot was off, but he hustled well and got shots. Roby just looked like he's ready to take off but holding it back. If Watson is able to do what he did tonight all season, Nebraska should be decent.

I listened to Miles afterwards on the radio, and he was saying that they ran no sets all night. The team is bad at 'secondary break', so that's what he wanted to work on. Evidently they are better when they run the plays that Mike Lewis' calls (Miles' words). Miles said that they played some groups that they hadn't tried before, and maybe found something with Amir and Thorir playing well over the top together. Also had not planned to play Heiman, Borchardt and Copeland together but that worked pretty well.

My impression was that the team really wasn't dialed in to a plan, and they looked like a pre-season team. They will have to work into a rhythm as the season goes, but they seem to do that every year. Hopefully it is a good one.

I’m not sure there’s a lot you can take out of this game other than Amir and Nana are two elite athletes that are going to be coming off of our bench.

I went to the game - one of the dozens. Amir Harris is like a younger Evan Taylor - he's going full intensity all the time. Harris is also taller and has a better shot, maybe more explosive and better handle. Nana Akenten is playing with a lot of hustle as well. I think Amir is ready to play in the Big 10, not sure about Nana. Heiman is going to get pushed around at times, but he has a good sense of the game and didn't fall into typical "big-man-using-body-wrong" fouls. He is a decent offensive rebounder.

Palmer had a bad game... he was just out of sync. Copeland looked like his outside shot was off, but he hustled well and got shots. Roby just looked like he's ready to take off but holding it back. If Watson is able to do what he did tonight all season, Nebraska should be decent.

I listened to Miles afterwards on the radio, and he was saying that they ran no sets all night. The team is bad at 'secondary break', so that's what he wanted to work on. Evidently they are better when they run the plays that Mike Lewis' calls (Miles' words). Miles said that they played some groups that they hadn't tried before, and maybe found something with Amir and Thorir playing well over the top together. Also had not planned to play Heiman, Borchardt and Copeland together but that worked pretty well.

My impression was that the team really wasn't dialed in to a plan, and they looked like a pre-season team. They will have to work into a rhythm as the season goes, but they seem to do that every year. Hopefully it is a good one.

I appreciate you sharing this. I guess it's hard for me to imagine telling the guys to simply work on one thing and not run sets, but it does explain some of the sloppy look. I just really have a hard time when I see teams run this fluid style offense, and no one seems to be getting really solid looks that don't require a great deal of individual creativity. I know we have some talent, I just want it to be used intelligently.

Last edited:
We know its really basketball season when posters are crapping all over the Huskers. Yay hoops!!!:Woohoo:
Ah man, I hope I'm not crapping all over the Huskers - I am reasonably optimistic for a Nebraska Basketball season.

For example, I didn't think Heiman would be able to contribute other than an emergency, but I think he's good enough to not redshirt. Borchardt is going to bring the same old same old except he's got better vertical. He's not a natural shot blocker (at all) but he gets in position correctly and rebounds from the ground well. Thor and Nana played better defense, which is a huge step forward for them. Tom Allen is scrapping on defense and loose balls. Roby charged away from the pick on the pick and roll with Allen and Watson and Palmer - big change from last year.

Worst thing I saw was that maybe Palmer believed his press - he had a couple of charges where it looked like he had decided to do something awesome and nothing could stop him. Hopefully he'll play better in a real game.
Finally, Karrington Davis drives a scooter better than anyone I've seen in a while. :Sarcasm: Go Big Red!

Last edited:

Ah man, I hope I'm not crapping all over the Huskers - I am reasonably optimistic for a Nebraska Basketball season.

For example, I didn't think Heiman would be able to contribute other than an emergency, but I think he's good enough to not redshirt. Borchardt is going to bring the same old same old except he's got better vertical. He's not a natural shot blocker (at all) but he gets in position correctly and rebounds from the ground well. Thor and Nana played better defense, which is a huge step forward for them. Tom Allen is scrapping on defense and loose balls. Roby charged away from the pick on the pick and roll with Allen and Watson - big change from last year.

Finally, Karrington Davis drives a scooter better than anyone I've seen in a while. :Sarcasm: Go Big Red!
Not talking about you. But there are some posters who just can't wait to go negative. So much so that regardless of the fact that we haven't played a true game with actual game planning, they have already proclaimed that we are the same team that Miles always trots out there.

And that might actually be the case but why not wait until its proven on the court. There are 30+ games that are going to paint a picture and if we lose enough of them that prevents us from going to the tournament, not only can these guys point their fingers and say "SEE, MILES SUCKS!!!", but likely we won't have to deal with Miles any longer.

I am cautiously optimistic about Husker hoops this year and can't wait to see what this team can do. But I felt the same about the football team so what do I know?

Last edited:
Takes a true Nebrasketball fan to be optimistic every year and know they will fall short. :) How about that 4 minute scoring drought to start the game! WOO HOO!

As far as the football team, we're finally beginning to see what they can do, and it's not too bad. Just wish they would have started doing that earlier.

Cautiously optimistic.

Echoing REDo.

Any Nebraska basketball fan should know better than to be optimistic without some reservations. But -- there is no reason why this shouldn't be the best NU hoops team this century. Granted, that's not saying much -- but I'd take that label coming to fruition. IMO, this is the crossroad season for Miles. NCAA Tournament or bust.

I'm honestly more excited about this upcoming basketball season than I am the remainder of the football season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back