• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB...forget who is starting: Gebbia taking snaps with #1 team on the field

I think Gebbia and Martinez both get significant snaps in the first few games anyway.
I think this is probably true. Even if one starter is named I think keeping both fresh and getting them both experience is going to be key. Especially if we are going to lean on the QB run game.

It's pretty simple, with the WRs being the consensus strength of the team and the TEs supposedly have a really good first scrimmage, I would think the best passer will be the starting QB. Gebbia was the 2nd best ever in California in total career passing yards and has shown good leadership and work ethic since he stepped on campus. Martinez will push him and play quite a bit, but I'm betting on Trevor starting all year. By the way two QBs will redshirt - Vedral and Masker.

I think this is probably true. Even if one starter is named I think keeping both fresh and getting them both experience is going to be key. Especially if we are going to lean on the QB run game.
I disagree with this. Once a starter is named, I believe SF, and most HC’s, go with that QB. Game experience for the starter, especially a young starter, takes precedence over giving the back up QB reps in a game. Last thing SF needs is playing two QBs in games so that neither one is getting proficient in the offense. He’ll go with his starter . Any QB would want that to happen too. You don’t want SF’s stated philosophy of ‘no fear of failure’ to be taken away from his QB, thinking that they will be yanked if they make a mistake. I don’t see that happening at all. Nope. Once he picks the starter, barring injury to him, he’ll play the season with him. You don’t want a QB controversy in your 1st year either. Play the starter all the way through and you avoid that happening.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple, with the WRs being the consensus strength of the team and the TEs supposedly have a really good first scrimmage, I would think the best passer will be the starting QB. Gebbia was the 2nd best ever in California in total career passing yards and has shown good leadership and work ethic since he stepped on campus. Martinez will push him and play quite a bit, but I'm betting on Trevor starting all year. By the way two QBs will redshirt - Vedral and Masker.
Trevor?? I don’t think Martinez sees the field if Gebbia is named the starter, unless of injury to him. There is no need to give your back up reps in games when you already have a 1st year starter who needs as many reps as he can get so he becomes more proficient in the offense. Why would anyone want that to happen? That causes two things- possibly QB controversy and less game time experience for your starter. That just causes more problems for the team that you don’t need, especially in your 1st year.

I disagree with this. Once a starter is named, I believe SF, and most HC’s, go with that QB. Game experience for the starter, especially a young starter, takes precedence over giving the back up QB reps in a game. Last thing SF needs is playing two QBs in games so that neither one is getting proficient in the offense. He’ll go with his starter . Any QB would want that to happen too. You don’t want SF’s stated philosophy of ‘no fear of failure’ to be taken away from his QB, thinking that they will be yanked if they make a mistake. I don’t see that happening at all. Nope. Once he picks the starter, barring injury to him, he’ll play the season with him. You don’t want a QB controversy in your 1st year either. Play the starter all the way through and you avoid that happening.

When SF played for Osborn, TO utilized multiple QBs when the game was not out of hand yet. He learned from example. The proof was last year Vedral saw game time that was not just mop up duty. Albeit it was limited. SF knows the risk of using one QB and having that QB get hurt. In the past 8 years we had failed to develop any sort of cohesion with a backup and it cost us games.

If Gebbia wins, SF knows the future of the team is not likely with a QB with limited mobility. Thus I believe TM will get game experience that is not limited to the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter. If TM wins, the goal will be to get Gebbia ready in the event that TM gets hurt, or god forbid reinjures the shoulder. SF knows how to manage a team.

Taking a QB out to get the other QB reps is not going to kill a no fear of failure mentality. It will give the other QB a breather, especially if we have been leaning on the QB run. I have seen Michigan up close. If TG is going to throw a ball out of bounds on 4th and 7 against our D, he is going to get eaten alive by Michigan's D.

I think Gebbia starts for the reasons you stated,but believe AM has a higher up side. We are truly blessed to have two QB’s with their talent.Many good years ahead at their position.GBR.
Higher upside? How can anyone say that? Didn’t Baker Mayfield prove anything to anyone? Maybe kliff kingsbury thought the same about Davis Webb? Lmao. Fatal error by him. I’m not saying he doesn’t have higher upside but how can anyone say or suggest that w o seeing either play? Because he runs faster?

When SF played for Osborn, TO utilized multiple QBs when the game was not out of hand yet. He learned from example. The proof was last year Vedral saw game time that was not just mop up duty. Albeit it was limited. SF knows the risk of using one QB and having that QB get hurt. In the past 8 years we had failed to develop any sort of cohesion with a backup and it cost us games.

If Gebbia wins, SF knows the future of the team is not likely with a QB with limited mobility. Thus I believe TM will get game experience that is not limited to the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter. If TM wins, the goal will be to get Gebbia ready in the event that TM gets hurt, or god forbid reinjures the shoulder. SF knows how to manage a team.

Taking a QB out to get the other QB reps is not going to kill a no fear of failure mentality. It will give the other QB a breather, especially if we have been leaning on the QB run. I have seen Michigan up close. If TG is going to throw a ball out of bounds on 4th and 7 against our D, he is going to get eaten alive by Michigan's D.
I just disagree. And why do you keep using initials of TM ?? We don’t have a QB with those initials that I know of. This is NOT a QB run based option offense, by the way. It is much more pass oriented. Did you even watch any games of UCF? Yes, SF may have used Vedral in a few mop up games, but not many. And Milton had established himself as the starter. You do not want a QB controversy in your 1st season. Playing either QB in a mop up role won’t happen this year with the Huskers schedule. They won’t be blowing out many teams in the B1G. I’ll stick to what QB coach MV has said...SF doesn’t want two QBs playing. That lines up with what I’ve posted.

Last edited:
TO rarely gave his second string QB's much action until a game was a blowout or decided and out of reach very late in a game. The myth that TO used multiple QB's absent injury or poor performance is myth. The perception that he did otherwise may persist because we did have plenty of QB poor performance and injury in TO's time.

Last edited:

Tristan?

I just disagree. And why do you keep using initials of TM ?? We don’t have a QB with those initials that I know of. This is NOT a QB run based option offense, by the way. It is much more pass oriented. Did you even watch any games of UCF? Yes, SF may have used Vedral in a few mop up games, but not many. And Milton had established himself as the starter. You do not want a QB controversy in your 1st season. Playing either QB in a mop up role won’t happen this year with the Huskers schedule. They won’t be blowing out many teams in the B1G. I’ll stick to what QB coach MV has said...SF doesn’t want two QBs playing. That lines up with what I’ve posted.

Sorry you know what i meant. Sure it is much more pass oriented, no one is debating that. However for the offense to work with maximum efficiency there must be the threat of a QB run. A QB controversy is going to happen regardless and to some extent has already begun. I will support whoever is chosen but I think there is no way that SF wants his offense run by a "wooden Indian". Never once in the history of SF running an offense has he had a QB who was this immobile.

Higher upside? How can anyone say that? Didn’t Baker Mayfield prove anything to anyone? Maybe kliff kingsbury thought the same about Davis Webb? Lmao. Fatal error by him. I’m not saying he doesn’t have higher upside but how can anyone say or suggest that w o seeing either play? Because he runs faster?
I think the only thing we can all agree on is that AM appears to have more explosive/elusive running skills. I believe that possibly AM may have a much higher upside for his running skills than TG. Both QBs seem to pass at a high level of efficiency, but not yet seen against a good college defense. I agree that we cannot assess either QBs overall upside, until we see them play in a college game that is 'on the line'. If AM is close to or better than TG in passing skills, then he may have the higher overall upside.

Sorry you know what i meant. Sure it is much more pass oriented, no one is debating that. However for the offense to work with maximum efficiency there must be the threat of a QB run. A QB controversy is going to happen regardless and to some extent has already begun. I will support whoever is chosen but I think there is no way that SF wants his offense run by a "wooden Indian". Never once in the history of SF running an offense has he had a QB who was this immobile.
Maybe listen to the QB coach. He says TG is plenty mobil, far from a wooden Indian.

TO rarely gave his second string QB's much action until a game was a blowout or decided and out of reach very late in a game. The myth that TO used multiple QB's absent injury or poor performance is myth. The perception that he did otherwise may persist because we did have plenty of QB poor performance and injury in TO's time.

Yes I will give you that TO did primarily use a different QB in junk time but you actually post this stuff as if you never saw any TO games ever. I can continually remember where he would use the backup in the 2nd quarter. Yes, the second quarter of a game that was not out of hand. Now, in theory there could have been an undisclosed minor injury (every single time he did this) that was being resolved, but I specifically remember a moments where (yes we were ahead) and Berringer came into the game for Tommy in the 2nd quarter.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back