• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

July Recruiting And Where We Are At: REDUX

As in part ways with Grayson? Like *** has said, I'm hearing Grayson might flip if he gets an Oklahoma offer. But if he wanted to be in this class too, they'd take all four.

I should have worded that question differently. I was trying to get an idea of what the coaches' RB board looked like. To me, Robinson looks like a better running back than Grayson, and the consensus seems to be that Robinson is a guy that the coaches would make room for, regardless of how many RB commits they had. I was wondering if Grayson was on the same level, i.e. If roles were reversed and Robinson committed on April 9th and Grayson was still uncommitted as of now, would the class be full, or, would they still take Grayson's commitment if he wanted in? You answered that with your last sentence, thank you.

I'm not used to what types of recruits this staff is looking at for the skill positions. Maybe you could provide some insight there. I'd guess Thompkins is more of a true RB in this offense with Grayson, Robinson, and Johnson playing more of a hybrid role (Duck-R?).

I can’t on account of the warrants.

Seriously, no, but through work I went to several BIG venues in the east when NU was still in the big 12 and they were awesome. Penn St night game was incredible. When Missouri handed it to us under Solich that whole town was electric for two days leading up to it. Georgia was fantastic and I would expect the top 1/2 to 2/3 of the SEC is that way. We always try to go in 1-2 days early to experience the restaurants and bars, which I is always fun, outside of Manhattan. I’ll probably get killed for lauding these experiences, so let me say in all sincerity...Colorado was horrible.
Penn State night games are horrible experiences for opposing fans seriously horrible.

2019 4* ATH Cameron Williams listed NU in his Top 5 with a commitment date of July 25th (former Oregon commit)...no visit yet so chances about zero?

Right now all of these kids committing right now does not mean a lot. Don't get me wrong. There are kids committed that will not be decommitting, but I would say the vast majority will be. Particularly those kids committed to schools like Oregon, Florida State, TAM, etc., who have a lot of recruits that have not been to their campus, and might end up losing a bunch of games. This is going to settle out in January, but I am optimistic that after on campus visits our staff will be bringing in a solid class.

I think that would be what he wants, but it's a really weird year in-state. There just isn't an FBS worthy OL for the 2019 class at this time. Guys like Bena from Creighton Prep or Anietto from Millard West could get one with a strong senior year, but there could also be other guys that emerge. Just stinks that in a year where we are looking at taking 4 or 5 guys, there isn't really a guy in-state at a position there almost always is.
Sorry about the spelling fiasco. Boy, that escalated quickly!

If Piper goes to the offensive side, does that change your opinion about the OL recruiting?

Didn't make Jermaine Johnson's top 5. It isn't the end, but it's definitely looking like Georgia (as others have predicted)

Current roster shows 83 scholarships with 15 seniors. It wouldn’t be a stretch if we see at least 3 to 6 more transfers between now and the end of the 2018 season. Decided to throw in a few numbers and thoughts to coincide with ***’s write-up.

QB: 3 on scholarship; getting McCaffrey is solid.

RB: 7 on scholarship (2 seniors); a potential medical and academic loss. 3 commits at this position is definitely a strong need. I really like Grayson but I digress.

WR: 9 on scholarship (1 senior) and a potential academic loss. This is a young group with 4 FR and 2 SO similar to the TE position. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the staff target a JUCO later in the process.

TE: Five on scholarship (4 FR and 1 SO); so this is a young group. Nebraska is only targeting only a handful of TEs. If anything a JUCO may be a more viable target.

OL: Biggest need on offense; 13 on scholarship with 3 seniors + a potential academic loss and another possible transfer. “At least” 4 are needed in this class and Nebraska is targeting a couple of JUCOs.

DL: 13 on scholarship (3 SR, 4 JR, 2 SO, 4 FR). Similar to TE, Nebraska is only in on a handful of DTs. DE is a different story. Offered a good number of DEs and are in on a few JUCOs at this position.

LB: 15 on scholarship. 3 seniors and a few that are dead weight (probably a bit harsh). Numbers look ok “now” but things could change in a hurry.

DB: Huge need with 15 on scholarship; two seniors and a few guys that need to thank Husker Nation and exit stage right. Will Jackson and Deontai Williams were huge JUCOs from last cycle and should help out immediately but they need more help.

Note: Nebraska’s ‘feel good’ Scott Frost road show is a strong anchor but the team needs to show it on the field to get some of these recruits in house. I re-read what I wrote and noticed I used the acronym “JUCO” quite a bit. The roster has a lot of holes.

Current roster shows 83 scholarships with 15 seniors. It wouldn’t be a stretch if we see at least 3 to 6 more transfers between now and the end of the 2018 season. Decided to throw in a few numbers and thoughts to coincide with ***’s write-up.

RB: 7 on scholarship (2 seniors); a potential medical and academic loss. 3 commits at this position is definitely a strong need. I really like Grayson but I digress.

WR: 9 on scholarship (1 senior) and a potential academic loss. This is a young group with 4 FR and 2 SO similar to the TE position. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the staff target a JUCO later in the process.

TE: Five on scholarship (4 FR and 1 SO); so this is a young group. Nebraska is only targeting only a handful of TEs. If anything a JUCO may be a more viable target.

OL: Biggest need on offense; 13 on scholarship with 3 seniors + a potential academic loss and another possible transfer. “At least” 4 are needed in this class and Nebraska is targeting a couple of JUCOs.

DL: 13 on scholarship (3 SR, 4 JR, 2 SO, 4 FR). Similar to TE, Nebraska is only in on a handful of DTs. DE is a different story. Offered a good number of DEs and are in on a few JUCOs at this position.

LB: 15 on scholarship. 3 seniors and a few that are dead weight (probably a bit harsh). Numbers look ok “now” but things could change in a hurry.

DB: Huge need with 15 on scholarship; two seniors and a few guys that need to thank Husker Nation and exit stage right. Will Jackson and Deontai Williams were huge JUCOs from last cycle and should help out immediately but they need more help.

Note: Nebraska’s ‘feel good’ Scott Frost road show is a strong anchor but the team needs to show it on the field to get some of these recruits in house. I re-read what I wrote and noticed I used the acronym “JUCO” quite a bit. The roster has a lot of holes.

As always thanks for all you do. Solid and essential information

Great write up thanks for the time you put in. One question. of the 4 OL you are recommending. I would think we need to be 3-1 TKL-G. Would you agree? Seems like most the guys we have are geared more towards guard than tackle.

Thanks for the work!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back