• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hiking 2.0

Crewed my GF at her ultra marathon on the weekend in Canmore, Alberta and managed to get in a quick hike myself. the race started and finished at the Nordic Centre which hosted the cross country ski events and the biathlon at the 1988 Calgary Olympics. Canmore is located 20 minutes east of Banff and is just outside the Banff National Park so it's a little quieter and less commercial. i enjoy them both for different reasons but no matter where you stay you can take advantage of all the outdoor activities in the area.

rundles2.jpg
rundles3.jpg
rundles4.jpg

Crewed my GF at her ultra marathon on the weekend in Canmore, Alberta and managed to get in a quick hike myself. the race started and finished at the Nordic Centre which hosted the cross country ski events and the biathlon at the 1988 Calgary Olympics. Canmore is located 20 minutes east of Banff and is just outside the Banff National Park so it's a little quieter and less commercial. i enjoy them both for different reasons but no matter where you stay you can take advantage of all the outdoor activities in the area.

Awesome. Canmore timeshare was our base of operations as well. Had the g'parents minding our kids, so the wife and I could do day long hikes. Four national parks in area. Banff, Jasper, Kanaskis, and Yoho.

Teahouse circuit in Banff is one of our favorites.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-26_17-18-13.png
    upload_2018-6-26_17-18-13.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

My brother is a serious hiker, I need to get him to join this site and talk hiking, he is in the rocking mountains somewhere at the moment.

My brother is a serious hiker, I need to get him to join this site and talk hiking, he is in the rocking mountains somewhere at the moment.
Cool. But, if he's a Husker guy, he just needs to join HM anywho!!! :thumbsup:

View attachment 16234 View attachment 16235 View attachment 16236

I've been on maybe a dozen hikes since I moved to the south and these pictures make me remember how much I enjoyed it when I lived out west. I work too much, but the summer heat here is pretty oppressive, so hiking from June through August is pretty much a no go. Did one up in North Carolina a few weeks back and couldn't carry enough water. Better timing and I'm sure I can find some good spots around here.

Really enjoyed the pictures.

I didn't get around to posting here last week, but I got in a sweet, solo hike of 12.5 miles, with an elevation gain that was moderate. just less than 1550 feet of gain. Total time was 3 hours and 49 minutes. Subsequently, I've gotten in a couple of 2 mile runs, including earlier today.

some quick pre-hike reading if you're bored

this is where we are headed this weekend to volunteer at an aid station over night. we will be volunteering from 1am-5am which about the time the soloists really start to suffer

http://www.sinister7.com/course

while we are there we're hoping to hike up turtle mountain. it's not the most challenging hike, but the story behind the frank slide is pretty interesting.

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Turtle-Mt-Frank-Slide-near-Blairmore-AB-1208

will hopefully get some interesting pictures. Crowsnest Pass, AB is just north of Waterton (Canadian Side) & Glacier (US Side) National Parks. if you're looking for some great hiking and are not a fan of crowds this is definitely a great place to check out.

this is where we are headed this weekend to volunteer at an aid station over night. we will be volunteering from 1am-5am which about the time the soloists really start to suffer

while we are there we're hoping to hike up turtle mountain. it's not the most challenging hike, but the story behind the frank slide is pretty interesting.

will hopefully get some interesting pictures. Crowsnest Pass, AB is just north of Waterton (Canadian Side) & Glacier (US Side) National Parks. if you're looking for some great hiking and are not a fan of crowds this is definitely a great place to check out.
Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading the links. And man, that is some serious gain on some of those hikes/runs. I just got home from a 6.6 mile run with a moderate gain of 1339 ft elevation gain(8100 feet asl). 1 hour and 52 minutes worth of jogging and my legs were burning. If I did my meters to feet math correct, 1339 would be about 408.1 m and wouldn't even touch the shortest gain on the sinister 7 list. And a high gain of 2292 m(almost 7520 feet of gain) is freaking crazy, and that being the 6th of 7 legs to run.... I'd probably come in dead last, or just dead, if I tried that. Extremely impressive. Again, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I hiked to my cabin with my jeep, couple hours ago, 1.5 mile trail to it. is muddy,
Locked it in, threw lots of mud, made it with the cooler of beer,
Enjoying life, :Cheers:

With friends

Of the opposite sex:thumbsup:

I hiked to my cabin with my jeep, couple hours ago, 1.5 mile trail to it. is muddy,
Locked it in, threw lots of mud, made it with the cooler of beer,
Enjoying life, :Cheers:

With friends

Of the opposite sex:thumbsup:
Thank god the beer was safe. All that mud, man, so many things could have happened in that 1.5 miles. Also, make sure to grab your friends by the pussy for me, I mean you, I mean, say "HELLO" for me..... :Biggrin:;)

I just looked at that link for the Sinister7 and it looks incredible. It sure makes my ultra this coming weekend look like a cakewalk. I'm hoping to cover 50-60 miles in 12 hours (mostly flat). But I've never done anything more than a regular marathon, and the last one of those I did was when I was in my 30's (15 years ago), so who knows what I'm gonna be dealing with during hours 6-12. Any pointers for an ultra novice? I'll be running 11pm to 11am, so I will also be dealing with running through the night which I've never done before. I'll be sure to thank those volunteers working the 1-5am shift. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I just looked at that link for the Sinister7 and it looks incredible. It sure makes my ultra this coming weekend look like a cakewalk. I'm hoping to cover 50-60 miles in 12 hours (mostly flat). But I've never done anything more than a regular marathon, and the last one of those I did was when I was in my 30's (15 years ago), so who knows what I'm gonna be dealing with during hours 6-12. Any pointers for an ultra novice? I'll be running 11pm to 11am, so I will also be dealing with running through the night which I've never done before. I'll be sure to thank those volunteers working the 1-5am shift. :thumbsup:
50+ miles is nothing to sneeze at, whether it's flat or not, that is some serious scooting. Here's to it going better than you hope. Have fun.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back