• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 RPI Tracking

Warm weather team?

I've seen statistics that show all teams' hitting improves (on average, given a large enough sample) the warmer the temperatures. Both batting average and home runs.

Many reasons for that. Including, the pitcher having less of a grip when it's hot (and he's sweating), while the batter is wearing gloves -- and at the plate less time than the increasingly sweaty pitcher. Also, baseballs travel farther the hotter it is. Hot air holds more moisture (humidity) than cold air. And believe it or not, the more humid it is, the less dense the air is.

In other words, it's an advantage for all teams' bats the warmer it is.

I've seen statistics that show all teams' hitting improves (on average, given a large enough sample) the warmer the temperatures. Both batting average and home runs.

Many reasons for that. Including, the pitcher having less of a grip when it's hot (and he's sweating), while the batter is wearing gloves -- and at the plate less time than the increasingly sweaty pitcher. Also, baseballs travel farther the hotter it is. Hot air holds more moisture (humidity) than cold air. And believe it or not, the more humid it is, the less dense the air is.

And they can practice.

If i am reading things right, here is the situation:

RU and NU are basically 2 games out of 8th place. Over the next 2 weekends, NU MUST win 2 more games than both RU and MSU to get to the conference tournament. MSU and RU both have the tie breakers against NU :Banghead:

NU RPI 22 Indiana
@ 57 Ill

MSU @ 16 Minn
31 OSU

RU @ 115 Maryland
16 Minn

You could say RU has the easier path, both MSU and NU have tough challenges ahead.

Sitting 113th in RPI and looks pretty bleak to get to the conference tourney, but 6 games left to get there. Gotta win our series and get some help. Our team ERA continues to plummet sitting at 5.55 and 224th in the country. However, our batting average seems to be getting better. Not sure what to think about that and Scott Schreiber is 3rd in the nation in homeruns.

Sparty is at Minnesota this weekend who is working on trying to host a regional, almost need them to get swept there and then they play Ohio State at home which we certainly need them to lose.

Rutgers also plays Minnesota which is the last weekend, hoping the Gophers can attempt to sweep them too. But they have Maryland this weekend, a little concerned they could win that series.

All that being said, we have Illinois and Indiana, and with how we've been playing, us dropping a final series isn't exactly out of the question. If they win these last 3 series they did all they could, they just dug themselves too deep of a hole.

EDIT: Indiana falls to 34th with the first game loss, we move up to 105th. Crazy to me that Indiana in the 20s or RPI was on the bubble to make the B1G tournament.

Last edited:
Sitting 114th right now (somehow Maryland leaped back over us to 113th after we won the series against them). We play #58 Crayton today and then are at home against #24 Indiana in a must win series.

Stayed at 113th after losing to Crayton. That game was a perfect example of what we are dealing with this year. We are in the game until we get to the bullpen where we are running out guys that would be redshirting if not for the injuries. True freshman that shouldn't be playing yet give up a hit, then balks to advance the runners into scoring position, gives up another hit, then down 5-2 instead of at worst down 4-2 if we had our horses.

I really am curious what we were doing with our 2017 class. There's a couple guys that look promising like Hellstrom and Hallmark. But our pitching we have RHPs that are throwing 84-85 mph from out of state. We have 10 kids in Nebraska that can do that. In our 2018 class we have 3 guys that can throw slide pieces as fast as these guys are throwing their fastballs.

If we don't get hit hard by the draft and Wilkening stays, i'm actually pretty pumped for next year. Our injuries in 2018 coupled with our 2018 class will have us with one of the deepest bullpens in the country. If we can keep Jesse around to get our young guns comfortable, could be pretty cool to see. You'll also see us part ways with a couple guys, and if we lose Wilkening, we will be playing basically with one less scholarship than everyone in 2019 as he is getting a good percentage.

But, RPI not really mattering right now, we have to win the series against Indiana and win the B1G baseball tourney to have a shot at NCAAs. Indiana sitting 34th right now.

But, RPI not really mattering right now, we have to win the series against Indiana and win the B1G baseball tourney to have a shot at NCAAs. Indiana sitting 34th right now.

Yeah -- there is zero chance for NU to get an at-large ... so it's qualify for then win the Big Ten tournament or bust.

Stayed at 113th after losing to Crayton. That game was a perfect example of what we are dealing with this year. We are in the game until we get to the bullpen where we are running out guys that would be redshirting if not for the injuries. True freshman that shouldn't be playing yet give up a hit, then balks to advance the runners into scoring position, gives up another hit, then down 5-2 instead of at worst down 4-2 if we had our horses.

I really am curious what we were doing with our 2017 class. There's a couple guys that look promising like Hellstrom and Hallmark. But our pitching we have RHPs that are throwing 84-85 mph from out of state. We have 10 kids in Nebraska that can do that. In our 2018 class we have 3 guys that can throw slide pieces as fast as these guys are throwing their fastballs.

If we don't get hit hard by the draft and Wilkening stays, i'm actually pretty pumped for next year. Our injuries in 2018 coupled with our 2018 class will have us with one of the deepest bullpens in the country. If we can keep Jesse around to get our young guns comfortable, could be pretty cool to see. You'll also see us part ways with a couple guys, and if we lose Wilkening, we will be playing basically with one less scholarship than everyone in 2019 as he is getting a good percentage.

I think we are safe from the draft. Lol.

Great post and the first post is what everyone who posts "Fire Erstad" should read before posting.

After todays loss

6) IU 5 games out
7) iowa 5.5
8) MSU 6
9) Maryland 7
10) NU 7.5

Last edited:

"Hot air holds more moisture (humidity) than cold air. And believe it or not, the more humid it is, the less dense the air is."

Now, how would you know? ;) Thanks for the info, HWM.
sunshine.svg
44d05b2e0318c257fb9e57427c0a0091.png

8) Maryland
8) MSU
10) NU

After another pitiful "must win" weekend, it comes down to this, NU must win at least 2 next weekend and Maryland and MSU must lose 2.

Maryland at Indiana
MSU has OSU at home
NU @ Ill

8) Maryland
8) MSU
10) NU

After another pitiful "must win" weekend, it comes down to this, NU must win at least 2 next weekend and Maryland and MSU must lose 2.

Maryland at Indiana
MSU has OSU at home
NU @ Ill
No problem.:Biggrin:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back