• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which NU HCing hire gave you the most optimism?

Which NU coaching hire gave you the greatest sense of optimism?

• Tom Osborne

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Frank Solich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bill Callahan

• Bo Pelini

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Mike Riley

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Scott Frost

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • More than one

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

• Total voters
I would pick T.O. easily over the rest of the list. We were riding high off consecutive national titles -- and you couldn't easily fail with hiring the man who was a large part of the success.

Yes, TO had a great deal to do with BD's success, but in 1973, most fans were not aware of that. In 1973, fans knew very little about TO. As I recall, we were in total "wait and see" mode with TO. Nobody was sure what to expect. He was only 35 and had no HCing experience.

After he started out with 5 consecutive losses to OU, fans were not particularly happy with him.

Last edited:

HuskerWeatherman ....I took this test and think I passed....​

How many donuts do you see?

Bs_l-65CQAI4_S4.png

Now close your eyes and count the image you see once again.

did you pass?

Cheers
:Cheers:
:Ironn:
Donuts? HUH? I don't get it!!!

After he started out with 5 consecutive losses to OU, fans were not particularly happy with him.

Then when he lost 7 bowl games in a row there was a lot of "he can't win the big one". People wanted him gone just like the Bobfather when he went 6-4 for 2 seasons.

Man, am I glad the interwebs weren't around then.

Pure optimism, Pelini. After the Pedey/Cally debacle, the return to "Nebraska Way" under T.O. was extremely welcomed and needed.

Pure belief, Frost. I am not optimistic. I don't need to be. This is as close to a guarantee of future success as we could have been given.
On the date of the hire I am with you on Bo. I remember our D had gotten so bad that I was really happy to see a defensive mind take over. At that point I assumed he would continue with recruiting success.

A month in my feeling for SF is surpassing that of Bo. On the day he was hired I have to admit concern for his crews recruiting prowess at the P5 level. Those concerns have been alleviated. So I am now really excited to see where the next few seasons go. The record may not be great this first season because geez do we have a meat grinder of a schedule this year. I will just be looking for incremental improvement. ie no blowout losses.

I voted for 'Other' just because I'm trying to figure out who the Other(s) might be since BD that aren't on this list. Perhaps an interim bowl coach? Actually, this poll is pretty much a set up. I'd be shocked if SF doesn't get 90% given the timing.

It seems history is telling us that you need the "right" AD to get the "right" coach. Solich and Pelini demonstrate there is risk associated with giving a guy his first HC gig. At least Frostie has a couple years under his belt now.

Last edited:

It seems history is telling us that you need the "right" AD to get the "right" coach. Solich and Pelini demonstrate there is risk associated with giving a guy his first HC gig. At least Frostie has a couple years under his belt now.

Great. Does that mean we should have another poll: What AD hire were you most excited about since BD?

Frost w/o question.

Was only 8 when TO was hired and while a fan at that age, I had no clue of that kind of stuff/importance back then.

Frost brings me the excitement that I had when Ricketts bought the Cubs, hired Theo, who hired Maddon, and the rest was beautiful history. And it’s not done yet...

I hope years down the road I feel the same about Frost and Co.

Something tells me we will.
:Huskerflag:

My optimism has been sky-high with each new hire. My enthusiasm-level, however, has varied quite a bit with each one. I was too young to really form an opinion when TO was hired (but that was really just a promotion/succession). FS was another promotion/succession, and just the way things were supposed to be (although I was disappointed TO was retiring and had hoped he would have continued at least as long as Bowden). The BC hire was different. I was somewhat enthusiastic, but had hoped we would have been able to pull in someone better (and no, that wouldn't have included Houston Nutt). I was very enthusiastic for BP. I was a bit worried that he had never been a head coach, but thought he was the right guy for the job, and as someone else pointed out, he was hired by TO, so that carried a lot of weight, optimism, and enthusiasm. I was a bit underwhelmed by the MR hire, again thinking we should have been able to get a much bigger fish, but optimistic and willing to give him a chance. The SF hire has me extremely enthusiastic. Two years ago, I would have been in the same place I was when BP was hired, but now he has the HC experience, and he's coming in as the hottest young HC in the country.

So my rankings for optimism would have all of them at the same level, but for enthusiasm, it would be SF, BP (a close second), BC, and then MR. I wouldn't even be able to rate TO or FS, because they were simply "next in line" and I didn't have any reason to believe things would be any different under them (I was quite young when TO was hired, and naive when FS was hired).
POTW

I wasn't around for the BD or TO hiring.

For me, it's down to Pelini and Frost. I'll give the edge to Frost.

But the most optimistic I've been about the future of Nebraska football was after the beatdown of Arizona in the Holiday Bowl.

The majority here were either too young or not yet alive to have memory of the Osborne hire. I was three at the time. But if I didn't still have carry around my blanket at the time, I would pick T.O. easily over the rest of the list. We were riding high off consecutive national titles -- and you couldn't easily fail with hiring the man who was a large part of the success.

I'm in wait-and-see mode with Frost. I've learned the hard way to not get excited about coaching hires. The only guarantee in life is death.
I was old enough but was not a fan yet.

I never said I was an idiot, I said my hope was.

Yes, it was something like that...and I merely agreed.

However, you clearly did say that YOU were an idiot, not your hopes. Your hopes were just the reason behind your claim to be an idiot.

Here is your statement...

This thread proves that I am an idiot.... for my hopes.

I understand that you are not calling yourself a total idiot, just an idiot in this particular case.

Anyway, its always nice when people agree with you , yes?

:Corn2:

To hope that discussions of past coaches will stop is a pipe dream...it IS idiotic. Since the time of your (and Red Crawdad's) wish that it would end, 3 threads have cropped up about former coaches...this one, one about BC's fatal flaws, and one about favorite Bo quotes.

There will always be discussions of former coaches on this board. Yes, sometimes they get old and create conflict, but they never bothered me. If you don't like them, simply do like I do...don't read them.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back