• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are your town’s links to Husker lore?

Fremont - Duncan Drum (center from early 60s) Richie Bahe (Johnny Rodgers replacement), Zach Wiegert (national champion!), Randy Poeschl (DT 1975), Gerry Gdowski, QB
I just have to respond to this one; even if way late.

Duncan Drum was also our place kicker in 1964 (his senior year; I was a kindergartner). Many years later, a member of our family met Duncan. My dad laughingly related a story (not to Duncan). The people who sat beside them at home games (they still have those same seats today) had a huge amount of money riding on a final score pool. Apparently DD missed a kick and cost them the win. They were very angry, cussed and referred to him with another name that rhymes with Duncan Drum... I won't repeat it publicly...:Biggrin: In looking at the seasons scoring plays, I don't think any misses cost us any games, but people never like to be reminded about such things.

Anyway doing research for this, and going off of prior knowledge, Back In The Day, kickers were often other position players. Bobby Reynolds (RB), Don Erway (QB), Rudy Johnson (FB), Dave Theisen (RB), Larry Wacholtz (DB) were all place kickers. My guess is Paul Rodgers (1968-1970) was the first full time Place Kicker we had. He was the guy who saved the Bobfathers job with his 50+ yard kick to beat Wyoming to open the 1968 season.

BTW, doing some research, Rudy Johnson would be the only AA placekicker we have had to my knowledge (didn't fully research the 1950's). Also, the rosters say he was from "Arkansas Pass, TX"... never heard of that (not to say it didn't exist, but if it did it would come up on Google - a lot of never-were towns in Texas come up on it). Other bios show "Aransas Pass, TX". Quite familiar with that, it is on the north side of Corpus Christi Bay.

Last edited:

I grew up in Lincoln, but will claim Wichita Falls, TX as my doppelganger hometown. Spent a lot of time there with relatives in the 1970's.

Richard Berns* was from WF and played for the Huskers. He was our best back at the time since Kinney and was a very good slashing, tough runner; instrumental in our move from a passing oriented offense to a run option. Had great games against OU, one of them we even won. He had a great long TD run against Mizzou to open the 1978 game, unfortunately we lost that one, no fault of his. Anyway, he went to "Ole High", basically WFHS, the equivalent of Lincoln High or Omaha Central. My cousins went to their big rival Rider. Once in WF, I partied and drank some Olympia with Berns' Brother in Law who also went to Rider.

Later, we recruited a "short fat guy" out of Rider who could dunk two BB on one jump, you may have heard of him, when the NU coaches did, they offered him. He was an erstwhile soccer player named Aaron Taylor. All he did was win the Outland.

*Bremser was the guy who called him "Rick Berns"; from what I heard and read the hated being called that. Much preferred Richard.

Hipp and Berns were both on the 1975 Freshman team together. We had heard a lot of great things about both of them. Games were on Friday during (HS) school hours so not everyone got to see them. Berns played in 1976 while Hipp redshirted. Berns finished the season very strongly, taking over the starting job. In 1977, Hipp had a great season and Berns did quite well, too.

Last edited:
I have lived in Klein,TX longer than I lived in Nebraska.

We have had two players from Klein at UNL LB David Santos & CB Charles Jackson.

Santos started at LB for a couple of years. He had one game saving hit IIRC, I think against Penn State in Lincoln where he put his hat on the ball and knocked it out of the ball carriers hands. We recovered it and preserved the win. He had some issue come up and did not return for his senior year. I think he started two years.

Charles Jackson had a number of injuries and had a delayed entry due to grades issues. He never really played except for special teams, where he was a good contributor.

It was interesting watching them in HS. Santos was good but undersized. He was committed to UNL. We went to see them play. I remember thinking who is this Jackson guy, he is the best one out here. Later, I found out when he also committed. It was interesting that the journeyman Santos, played a great deal more than the four star Jackson.

Last edited:

Great thread. I had no idea about any ties to Salt Lake City, so I went online and found Gary England was an NU Football letter winner in 1979-80. Not sure who he really was though. Just curious, are there any other Husker Max members from Utah?

I grew up in Lincoln, but will claim Wichita Falls, TX as my doppelganger hometown. Spent a lot of time there with relatives in the 1970's.

Richard Berns* was from WF and played for the Huskers. He was our best back at the time since Kinney and was a very good slashing, tough runner; instrumental in our move from a passing oriented offense to a run option. Had great games against OU, one of them we even won. He had a great long TD run against Mizzou to open the 1978 game, unfortunately we lost that one, no fault of his. Anyway, he went to "Ole High", basically WFHS, the equivalent of Lincoln High or Omaha Central. My cousins went to their big rival Rider. Once in WF, I partied and drank some Olympia with Berns' Brother in Law who also went to Rider.

Later, we recruited a "short fat guy" out of Rider who could dunk two BB on one jump, you may have heard of him, when the NU coaches did, they offered him. He was an erstwhile soccer player named Aaron Taylor. All he did was win the Outland.

*Bremser was the guy who called him "Rick Berns"; from what I heard and read the hated being called that. Much preferred Richard.

Hipp and Berns were both on the 1975 Freshman team together. We had heard a lot of great things about both of them. Games were on Friday during (HS) school hours so not everyone got to see them. Berns played in 1976 while Hipp redshirted. Berns finished the season very strongly, taking over the starting job. In 1977, Hipp had a great season and Berns did quite well, too.

Great recall! I remember Berns as "Rick Berns" probably based on Bremsers calls. I remember him as a north/south runner too. Not a lot of dancing, just make that cut and GO. He was yet another good one. And Aaron Taylor? Not too bad. :thumbsup:

Amarillo has a few cool connections to UNL fame and fortune:

1. When UNL was looking at moving from AstroTurf to Fieldturf, our high school stadium here, Dick Bivins Stadium, was the first stadium in the US with Fieldturf.

Frank Solich, Bill Byrne, and a host of assistants flew to Amarillo on a private jet. :Welcome:came to the stadium to check out the field, loaded up, and flew back to Lincoln. :Peacesign:

UNL then installed Field Turf. I actually asked coach Solich about the Fieldturf at the Beverly Hilton the day before the 2002 Rose Bowl, and he said “we like the surface real well.”:Cheers:

2. Corrie Cooper, a graduate of Amarillo High School, was All-America outside hitter for UNL volleyball, as well as national champion! :Huskerflag:

3. Bill Bobbora, Amarillo High class of 1985, lettered two years at UNL in football.:Helmet:

4. Tom Osborne has been here several times over the years as the keynote speaker for FCA. We got handshakes and photos with him 2 years ago. I told him I sure enjoyed watching his grandson Courtney play at UNL.:to:

Hi WestTexas:Wave:

Here is a link I found that lists 2004 Husker's that came from Nebraska....it you have not already seen it...enjoy:thumbsup:
(forgive if already posted in this thread)

http://dataomaha.com/huskers/state/NE

I claim Bellevue (20+ years) ...Here is a list from the AF town....

Robert Rands
WR/CB 5/7 160 Bellevue 2005
Jeff Souder
SS 6/1 200 Bellevue 2005
Clester Johnson
WB 5/11 195 Bellevue 1992
Tony Holloway
DE 6/2 200 Bellevue 1983
Stan Parker
OT 6/4 230 Bellevue 1983
Mark Traynowicz
OT 6/5 253 Bellevue 1981
Joe Adams
OL 6/3 223 Bellevue 1978
Jim Kotera
FB 5/11 191 Bellevue 1978
Bob Bonness
DE 5/11 195 Bellevue 1975
Monte Anthony
IB 6/3 207 Bellevue 1974
Rod Stovall
DB 5/11 170 Bellevue 1974
Dale Zabrocki
WB 5/9 158 Bellevue 1974
Rik Bonness
LB 6/4 205 Bellevue 1973
Steve Hoins
OT 6/2 226 Bellevue 1973
Mike McGuire
MON 6/2 182 Bellevue 1969
John Hopkins
DT 6/3 194 Bellevue 1968
Bruce Harding
QB 6/1 198 Bellevue 1966

GBR

Cheers
:Cheers:
:Ironn:

I am quite sure that Frank only coached Class A ball at Lincoln Southeast (looks like start of '68 season). He was at Omaha Holy Name the previous two years.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=18625

You are correct. The coach at lincoln High in 1968 was Andy Loehr. According to this write-up Lincoln High was the State champ in 1968. That could be.

But the article is wrong when it says Scottsbluff nipped Fremont. I am certain it was a tie game.

In 1968, Lincoln High tied Hastings and Fremont killed Hastings. But Lincoln High killed Scottsbluff and we tied them.

Too bad they didn't play each other.

http://isite.lps.org/rconradt/LHS Hall of Fame/HTML ALPHA/TEAMS HTML/1968-Football.html

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back