• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

News about Nick Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bowden wrote a letter stating that after they upset NU in '80 which propelled FSU as a program. He liked that NU fans applauded FSU when they came off the field. Very cool. I don't think we applauded NIU this year or any other team that has beat us over the past 20 years.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the bold as I have been lucky to only attend games we won. The last game I went to was Miami here. After winning we applauded them and some of their players turned and flipped us the bird causing their fans to get down on them. :Biggrin:

Last edited:

I'm not in to self loathing. I'm also not into hyperbole. I never said we weren't hospitable. Many fan bases are. I just want the measurements used to determine that we are "the" greatest fans.

As I stated before, the observation about the Nebraska fan base has been made by some of the most notable coaches and media in the history of college football. It’s also been made by opposing fan bases for decades. If that statement inspires Nebraska fans to act better as fans...that’s a good thing.

I'm saying given what he was as a freshman, his size, and how he'll test for them, they would think they could do more with him. I'd hope an NFL guy would think that. Many felt the same about Zach Sterup. I didn't feel the need to talk about his previous coaches, you did.

Jeremiah Sirles was coached by one of the least popular o line coaches at NU, and has less natural talent that Gates has. He's been in the league for a while.

Being drafted because of his size and his measurables rather than his play on the field is an indictment of his coaching and development.

Well you could just make a point rather than asking me to do it for you. If you'd like to go after previous coaches based on who gets drafted be my guest. I wish Gates well and hope he succeeds.

More an indictment of the NFL than anything else.
How's that an indictment of the NFL. If he's athletic enough, smart enough and good enough to play in the NFL why shouldn't they draft him? There are dozen of Nebraska examples alone of kids who made the NFL and had less than stellar collegiate career based on their post-collegiate achievements.

How's that an indictment of the NFL. If he's athletic enough, smart enough and good enough to play in the NFL why shouldn't they draft him? There are dozen of Nebraska examples alone of kids who made the NFL and had less than stellar collegiate career based on their post-collegiate achievements.
I wasn't the one making the "indictment," that would be who I replied to...you should go after him.

Last edited:

This thread is 12 pages long with the majority of us dismissing Nick's transition to the NFL as a poor decision. Now that he has a 3rd or 4th round grade ... I wonder if the general consensus of this board changes much?
I think it's a great decision. He definitely has good NFL potential. We all saw it a few years ago. But he was poorly coached.

I have no doubt he could have a great year here next year with good coaching and improve his stock. But from his POV, why learn a whole new system for one year only to know you're going to have to learn another whole new system the next year? Why not get started with the system he'll be running the next few years right now?

Good luck, Mr. Gates. I predict you have a successful NFL career!

A) wasn't "going after" you. Sorry if it was interpreted like that.
B) you did say it is an indictment of the NFL. I guess then I do t know what it means.

A) Never gave a thought one way or the other, you just went after the wrong person.
B) Incorrect, read the exchange below:

Being drafted because of his size and his measurables rather than his play on the field is an indictment of his coaching and development.

More an indictment of the NFL than anything else.

NewYorksker made the only "indictment" that there was something wrong with being drafted on measurables rather than play on the field, implying poor coaching.

I simply re-directed his angry indictment at someone being drafted on measurables back to those responsible...the NFL. I did not make any judgement of the practice except acknowledging it. Besides, NewYorksker has no actual knowledge of why Gates is going to be drafted (if he is)...he's just piling on our ex-coaches. I guess it makes him feel better.

A) Never gave a thought one way or the other, you just went after the wrong person.
B) Incorrect, read the exchange below:

NewYorksker made the only "indictment" that there was something wrong with being drafted on measurables rather than play on the field, implying poor coaching.

I simply re-directed his angry indictment at someone being drafted on measurables back to those responsible...the NFL. I did not make any judgement of the practice except acknowledging it. Besides, NewYorksker has no actual knowledge of why Gates is going to be drafted (if he is)...he's just piling on our ex-coaches. I guess it makes him feel better.

What are we arguing about again?

Nick Gates has lacked against bull rushers. I see no reason he could be relied upon at the next level. The guy is fooling himself to leave early.
I agree but he hasn't been completely healthy. And he was better suited for a right tackle and not the left. With all that, I am glad to see him go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back