• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

News about Nick Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, time and again too many NU fans show a complete lack of class and especially towards our own players and coaches ex or current. They love the be called the greatest fans, but then do not do the things needed to have that title. IT's as if they feel entitled to the title...Maybe they are all Millennials... Oh and some former players on/in the media too...

:Sign2cents:
Have you ever gone to other team blog sites? Trust me it’s as bad or worse. Not saying it’s right and I try not to practice it but it’s out there.

To be fair to Nick, working with you third coaching staff in five years could be quite frustrating, I’m sure. If he knows he doesn’t want to be at NU anymore, it doesn’t help anyone for him to stick around.

I sure thought he was going to be a great one for us. Not sure what got mixed up along the way.
Was it Sipple who said of Lee when he declared for the draft, if you have to learn a new system anyway, and you only have one year of eligibility left, why not move to the next level and get paid for it?
I think it's safe to say we were all disappointed in the results when Gates showed so much promise early but I can't and won't question his motives. It's just part of closing the book on a disastrous three years.

I can't recall the last Husker's OLineman that was anywhere ready for the NFL by the end of their senior year...much less junior year...(some sarcasm here, I know a few exist), but I do know that it's not Gates. I wish him well, but this is a move he will most likely look back on with regret in the years to come.

Last edited:

Who else, if any, do you expect to also leave early for the draft/transfer out?
I would think this would be it for NFL. I would think Morgan would have declared by now. I figured Lee and Gates would be done, just wasn't sure it would be NFL route

I think he was looking at learning a non NFL system in his final year and that learning curve may lower his stock. Graduate in spring and go for the NFL. Hard work will take you where you want to be, whether in college or the NFL. GBR!

I can't recall the last Husker's OLineman that was anywhere ready for the NFL by the end of their senior year...much less junior year...(some sarcasm here, I know a few exist), but I do know that it's not Gates. I wish him well, but this is a move he will most likely look back on with regret in the years to come.

Matt Slauson
Alex Lewis
Spencer Long
Brent Qvale
Jeremiah Sirles
Zach Sterup
Givens Price was moved to DT at Nebraska then made a PS in the NFL at OT

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Nick Gates make an NFL roster, I would guess OG vs OT. The comment about looking back and regretting is exactly what was said about Valentine and Collins.

Matt Slauson
Alex Lewis
Spencer Long
Brent Qvale
Jeremiah Sirles
Zach Sterup
Givens Price was moved to DT at Nebraska then made a PS in the NFL at OT

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Nick Gates make an NFL roster, I would guess OG vs OT. The comment about looking back and regretting is exactly what was said about Valentine and Collins.

VV and Collins were producing at a pretty high level when they left . . . many just felt that they would improve their stock by staying a year and getting even better and that their draft status would probably improve. But apparently some coaches/scouts liked what they saw and figured they were ready and/or could develop them.

Gates was regressing pretty considerably and his film from last year isn't going to do much to impress scouts, IMHO. Plus my understanding is that it's a pretty strong draft year for linemen, so there is a lot of competition from guys who are impressive on film. Maybe Gates will impress at the combine or in FA workouts and will get a shot? It happens. If he's a completely different animal trying out for the pros then we'll know his heart wasn't in it here last year.

Last edited:
Kind of crazy that when he was a freshman I put out there we could lose him early to the draft. As time progressed that looked like an awful prediction. I don't think he's ready, but he does have the measureables. Tanner Lee will get a shot somewhere just because of the how he looks when the ball is thrown. Hopefully this works out, but he is one of the linemen I was mentioning about when people talked attrition. I'm not sure he wanted to be here under the last staff, and he certainly wasn't going to chance it with a new staff.
It's a win for everyone Gates gets to try his skills at NFL level ( not sure he grew much under Cavanaugh) and a fresh start. Another scholarship opens and an underclass man gets to fight for a starting job.
Gates was a warrior never complained and leaves as a class act. Wish him nothing bet the best some NFL team is going to get a tough hard working young man.

Have you ever gone to other team blog sites? Trust me it’s as bad or worse. Not saying it’s right and I try not to practice it but it’s out there.
I hate when people try to make a case for the Husker fans not being the greatest fans with these intellectually dishonest arguments. Just because we're not perfect doesn't mean we aren't better than everyone else.

We are hands down the greatest fans in college football. There really isn't a close second.

VV and Collins were producing at a pretty high level when they left . . . many just felt that they would improve their stock by staying a year and getting even better and that their draft status would probably improve. But apparently some coaches/scouts liked what they saw and figured they were ready and/or could develop them.

Gates was regressing pretty considerably and his film from last year isn't going to do much to impress scouts, IMHO. Plus my understanding is that it's a pretty strong draft year for linemen, so there is a lot of competition from guys who are impressive on film. Maybe Gates will impress at the combine or in FA workouts and will get a shot? It happens. If he's a completely different animal trying out for the pros then we'll know his heart wasn't in it here last year.

It's not a coincidence that not one 3* or 4* OL has shown any development in the time Gates has been here. Gates showed the physical tools and played with an edge as a FR, it's there, he just needs to be in a place to use it. I wouldn't expect him to get drafted, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a shot.

I hate when people try to make a case for the Husker fans not being the greatest fans with these intellectually dishonest arguments. Just because we're not perfect doesn't mean we aren't better than everyone else.

We are hands down the greatest fans in college football. There really isn't a close second.

That's because we're so humble. Just ask us, we'll tell you so. :Biggrin::Corn2:

Last edited:

How do you figure? I mean besides the sign that says so on the stadium... :)

NU fans are just like every other fan base, no better or worse. Claiming "Greatest" just makes people look like fools.

C

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back