• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"feels like year 1" excuse validity poll

on a scale of 1-5, how valid is the excuse that NU is in year 1 of new systems

• 5 - this is year 1 of new systems on O and D and we should Judge acordingly

Votes: 8 10.5%

Votes: 4 5.3%

Votes: 13 17.1%

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • 1 - totally invalid - this is year 3 of HCMR and we should judge accordingly

Votes: 39 51.3%

• Total voters

BARNUM is back

Son of NUM
5 Year Member
In today's press conference HCMR said that because of the changes that they have made to both the offense and defense, that 'it does not feel like year 3, it feels like year 1". IMO this sounds like a not-so-veiled excuse for why they have struggled so badly. so how much validity do you give to the excuse "this is year 1"?

-Riley made the sole decision to hire his buddy Banker who he then had to fire. That's on Riley.

-Riley made the sole decision to hire Langsdorf to call his offense. The same Langsdorf who he had to pull the play calling duties away from at OSU in 2011 due to lack of winning. That's also on Riley.

You don't get to call 'do over' in year 3.

Last edited:

Sorry, Mike. I'm on your side, but that excuse ain't going to fly. You are, most definitely, in year three. If you flubbed up the first two, then that's on you, buddy. When you consistently remind everyone how long you've been around and how much experience you have garnered through the years, you do not get to use that lame-ass excuse. Your 40 years of experience means you aren't supposed to make staffing mistakes and not realize how to restart a program to your specifications. You are essentially asking for a mulligan on years one and two? I don't think so.

I didn't see or hear the presser, but if he actually said it, that would be the first thing he's said since hired that really irritates me.

Last edited:
In today's press conference HCMR said that because of the changes that they have made to both the offense and defense, that 'it does not feel like year 3, it feels like year 1". IMO this sounds like a not-so-veiled excuse for why they have struggled so badly. so how much validity do you give to the excuse "this is year 1"?
Did he really say that???

Wow. :(

IMO this sounds like a not-so-veiled excuse for why they have struggled so badly.

I've been thinking about this:

DB is out there trying to chill everyone out on this line from the press conference. saying it was just a statment of feeling or personal perspective, not an excuse or an abdication of responsibility. and i don't think DB is wrong.

but* i think that "this is the way he feels" is a problem. if he - the sole individual responsible for the development of this team, does not see a linear or directional progression in what they are doing/teaching/installing, then that is a really big problem. I'm willing to concede that MR is not using this as an excuse as i originally posted. but i do think that those words from MR - regardless of what question they were in response to, reveal a problem, a particularly big problem. a failure to install or commit to the right direction for NUFB from the word go. if this is the way MR really feels, than he and his staff essentially wasted or threw away two years of leadership/development in '15 '16

Doesn't matter if he 'feels' it or not. It's just not something a veteran coach says after getting demolished two years running by tOSU.

sam's take, i guess i'm a fan-spinner

DM157x-W4AAbagn.jpg:large

I've never been a Riley guy, but I had more optimism before the real 1st year than before the re-boot 1st year.

I'm not going to throw any shade at Riley for this. It feels like kicking a guy when he's down. McKewon asked him a pretty leading question, and he answered it honestly. Riley might not be the man to lead NU, but to my knowledge he doesn't have the reputation of making excuses or passing the buck.

I feel there is a spin zone on the team in our Defensive coordinator and our Head Coach. Passing the buck and looking for excuses are exactly why we have issues this year. The coaches think time will fix everything. In two years he will say the same thing breaking in a new quarterback. My question is why wait for 3 years?

GET TICKETS

Back